Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Autism

Bit of advice needed please.

My 8 year old Grandson wants to see a game at the KP.  I've promised him I'll take him!!

He's autistic in as much he has sensory issues and I know this is going to be tricky.

I know the club has a sensory room, but how does this work?  If he's struggling watching the game, can we have access to this room?

Anyone used this facility?

Thanks.

Yes, once they put you in the chill-out room, he should be able to calmly watch the rest of the match in the company of any trusted, responsible adult. 

Alternatively, per lcfc.com :

For all accessibility and disability enquiries please contact our Disability Liaison Officer at 0116 229 4540 or our Disability Access Officer at 0116 229 4544 or [email protected]

• Like 1

Id recommend  some sort of noise-reduction headphones .if he doesn’t use them already maybe purchase them ahead of time so he can get used to using them. Get there early to get the seat and maybe eat before getting to the stadium. Maybe suggest limiting liquid consumption  and use the toilet before getting to the stadiums so you don’t have to deal with him needing the toilet, ect..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Yes, once they put you in the chill-out room, he should be able to calmly watch the rest of the match in the company of any trusted, responsible adult. 

Alternatively, per lcfc.com :

For all accessibility and disability enquiries please contact our Disability Liaison Officer at 0116 229 4540 or our Disability Access Officer at 0116 229 4544 or [email protected]

Thanks, but that's no good.... he'll be with me!!😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MPH said:

Id recommend  some sort of noise-reduction headphones .if he doesn’t use them already maybe purchase them ahead of time so he can get used to using them. Get there early to get the seat and maybe eat before getting to the stadium. Maybe suggest limiting liquid consumption  and use the toilet before getting to the stadiums so you don’t have to deal with him needing the toilet, ect..

But what about @weller54?

44 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Going to try and get tickets for the QPR game..

What's the best section to try and get for him?

I'm assuming you won't be wanting the singing section or next to the away fans...

Among the quiet people everyone moans about sounds best!

Also if you think you might need the sensory room, somewhere near that (I have no idea where it is but I assume somewhere in the west stand?)

The west stand blocks towards the corners are fairly restrained in my experience, and probably a good bet for your situation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I'd honestly contact the club, you want to get the first experience right.

I have thank you....

Unfortunately my Grandson is in the process of getting an 'official' diagnosis and as everyone knows who goes through this process it's long winded and like pulling teeth!!!

The club cannot help until he has all the official paperwork available to show them!

7 minutes ago, weller54 said:

I have thank you....

Unfortunately my Grandson is in the process of getting an 'official' diagnosis and as everyone knows who goes through this process it's long winded and like pulling teeth!!!

The club cannot help until he has all the official paperwork available to show them!

That's absolute rubbish and insensitive from the club, you don't get a certificate! I'd be taking that higher up if I were you. It is very long winded, has he got an EHCP, if so show them that?

What are they promising once you have proof?   

1 minute ago, Tommy G said:

That's absolute rubbish and insensitive from the club, you don't get a certificate! I'd be taking that higher up if I were you. It is very long winded, has he got an EHCP, if so show them that?

What are they promising once you have proof?   

No ECHP as yet!.. reading from their reply they need all the boxes ticked before they can register him as needing special treatment at a game!   What that treatment actually is I don't know, but assume it's access to the sensory room for example?

That’s disappointing they are only providing to support on production of evidence - especially when it’s so hard to get that evidence these days due to the long waiting lists. Anyhow, I don’t have any advice to give in addition to what has already been said, but I hope it’s a really positive experience for you both. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, rachhere said:

That’s disappointing they are only providing to support on production of evidence - especially when it’s so hard to get that evidence these days due to the long waiting lists. Anyhow, I don’t have any advice to give in addition to what has already been said, but I hope it’s a really positive experience for you both. 

Thank you so much.

25 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I actually can't believe they need proof of that :o

Is anyone seriously going to lie to abuse that?

It was a disappointing response in all honesty.

Just a standard, hard hearted reply to my email explaining his issues.😪

3 minutes ago, weller54 said:

It was a disappointing response in all honesty.

Just a standard, hard hearted reply to my email explaining his issues.😪

I can imagine. There seems to be no room for sentiment or personal touches at the club anymore. I'm not suggesting it's specific to Leicester city but you'd like to think getting young fans to watch their first games would be of huge importance to the clubs whatever their needs are

Have you tried contacting that Jim guy directly? 

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I can imagine. There seems to be no room for sentiment or personal touches at the club anymore. I'm not suggesting it's specific to Leicester city but you'd like to think getting young fans to watch their first games would be of huge importance to the clubs whatever their needs are

Have you tried contacting that Jim guy directly? 

Exactly..my Grandson is the future fan base for this club. I compare this response to when I was about 13, my mum wrote to the club just saying I was a mad Leicester City fan . They wrote back enclosing 4 complimentary tickets for the home game against Manchester United, they picked me and 3 friends up from the train station (we travelled from Hertfordshire). They took us all for something to eat, arranged a stadium tour (before the game), then we met some of the players...Peter Shilton, Peter Rodrigues, Allan Clarke.. watched the game which City won 2-1..Fern and Nish scored.

A wonderful life long memory.

How times have changed 😪

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The club have agreed to register my Grandson on the disability list without further evidence of his autism.. which I'm really pleased about.

Now I've just got to hope I can get 2 tickets for the QPR game so I can take him..

Any advice on what's the best way of getting the tickets and in the right section of the ground would be appreciated.