Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

FOR THE ATTENTION OF THRACIAN!

No-one is arguing about whether he should have been sent off.

You weren't, other people were.

As for the goal, I don't know how he can been blamed for a fluke deflection but if he can, you might equally point at others who left their striker unmarked feet from goal (but I wouldn't personally).

Not to blame for the fluke deflection but for the fact he did not close the cross down at all. (I know you are gpoing to say it hit him but he was not tight enough)

I don't actually blame him for this, he is a converted centre back and they often fail to close wingers down properly. He needs mor egames in the reserves or out on loan playing in that position.

As for his performance, his passing was generally excellent, his was constantly available for the get-out pass, he supported all the attacks left-side and got in several shots.

He had plenty of hsots but as for his passing being great, all I can say is that I disagree with you. I thought his distribution was average at best.

Don't think I won't criticise Sheehan or anyone else when he deserves but I preferred the genuinely warm and appreciative round of applause he got for his efforts when he went off. He played every bit as well as anyone else except for MOM Hume, Joey and probably Smithy.

I applauded him because he tried his best and he is ayoung player trying to establish himself. Fans give youth team players thsi kind of courtesy, look at the easy ride a joke player like Heath got, if Sheehan had been a senior pro he would not have got the same reception.

I would also say to you that Gerrbrand, Stearman, Kisnorbo and Hammond were all better than Sheehan today. As well as the players you have already mentioned. I think MOST peoples ratings will agree with this.

You weren't, other people were.

Not to blame for the fluke deflection but for the fact he did not close the cross down at all. (I know you are gpoing to say it hit him but he was not tight enough)

I don't actually blame him for this, he is a converted centre back and they often fail to close wingers down properly. He needs mor egames in the reserves or out on loan playing in that position.

He had plenty of hsots but as for his passing being great, all I can say is that I disagree with you. I thought his distribution was average at best.

I applauded him because he tried his best and he is ayoung player trying to establish himself. Fans give youth team players thsi kind of courtesy, look at the easy ride a joke player like Heath got, if Sheehan had been a senior pro he would not have got the same reception.

I would also say to you that Gerrbrand, Stearman, Kisnorbo and Hammond were all better than Sheehan today. As well as the players you have already mentioned. I think MOST peoples ratings will agree with this.

Your last paragraph may be right but I seem to recall four occasions when Crewe waltzed through the centre of our defence, once for a goal given offside, twice when defenders recovered to thwart the attack, another offside situation and finally when they got right through only for the striker to scuff his shot wide with only Douglas to beat.

I said little about this because Gerrbrand and Stearman were a new defensive pairing (therefore almost bound to be shaky) and the incidents did not take away from the overall performance which was as cultured and possession orientated as I've seen from them.

My comments are not meant to elevate Sheehan's performance (if he closes down faster next time he'll have improved stragiht away) but to remind people that, while almost everyone could be seriously criticised they all contributed to a fine overall performance, indeed our second or third best performance of the season, football wise.

Today's performance by Sheehan illustrated clearly once and for all that a left back has to be a priority in january.

he may be promising and certainly posseses a decent shot but his passing was not great, his spatial awareness was shown to be inadequate at this level against mediocre opposition. We should not give up on him but he was at fault for the goal and was caught out of position on more than one occasion. his two yellow cards were fully justified. A loan spell at a lower division club could be just what he needs.

The main question though is how many goals have we conceded this season from attacks on our left back position because one our left back is not good enough (gilbert) too inexperienced (sheehan) or simply playing out of position (nils and maybury and stearman).

levein sort it out!

Today's performance by Sheehan illustrated clearly once and for all that a left back has to be a priority in january.

he may be promising and certainly posseses a decent shot but his passing was not great, his spatial awareness was shown to be inadequate at this level against mediocre opposition. We should not give up on him but he was at fault for the goal and was caught out of position on more than one occasion. his two yellow cards were fully justified. A loan spell at a lower division club could be just what he needs.

The main question though is how many goals have we conceded this season from attacks on our left back position because one our left back is not good enough (gilbert) too inexperienced (sheehan) or simply playing out of position (nils and maybury and stearman).

levein sort it out!

the only other options are tiatto (too rash in the tackle), kisnorbo (his favourite holding player) or a returning wilcox (not enough pace anymore)

other wise he will have to change the formation

I thought Sheehan had his poorest game for us to date, but he shouldn't be written off yet. There were a few plus points to be taken from his performance and he should be praised for that because ripping in to the lad won't help and I hope Levein looks after him properly.

As for him being a converted centre half I don't see the signs of that and would be keen to know where you heard he was? He's very comfortable going forward and plays like a full-back I reckon?

Anyway I thought his shooting was very impressive and the same with his tackling. His passing was a little wayward and that's what let him down I think, he wasn't as involved in the match as against Sheff Wednesday and Blackpool where he was composed defensively and going forward.

There's signs of a quality player there, he's obviously very raw but one performance shouldn't be used as as a tool to say he isn't ready for first team football. He's played 4 or 5 times now and that's the first game he's looked suspect, so it would be unfair to state that he's not good enough yet. All players have crap games, ours especially.

I thought Sheehan had his poorest game for us to date, but he shouldn't be written off yet. There were a few plus points to be taken from his performance and he should be praised for that because ripping in to the lad won't help and I hope Levein looks after him properly.

As for him being a converted centre half I don't see the signs of that and would be keen to know where you heard he was? He's very comfortable going forward and plays like a full-back I reckon?

Anyway I thought his shooting was very impressive and the same with his tackling. His passing was a little wayward and that's what let him down I think, he wasn't as involved in the match as against Sheff Wednesday and Blackpool where he was composed defensively and going forward.

There's signs of a quality player there, he's obviously very raw but one performance shouldn't be used as as a tool to say he isn't ready for first team football. He's played 4 or 5 times now and that's the first game he's looked suspect, so it would be unfair to state that he's not good enough yet. All players have crap games, ours especially.

Don't think I described him as a "converted centre-half" although I recall someone else did.

All I said (I think) was that he played centre half for the Reserves on occasions.

No, like you, I see him simply as a natural left back.

I've no great argument with any of your assessment although I felt he attacked more than against Sheffield and always tried to be constructive with his passing which he varied considerably.

And I certainly agree with your last paragraph.

Levein should keep faith with him.

Don't think I described him as a "converted centre-half" although I recall someone else did.

All I said (I think) was that he played centre half for the Reserves on occasions.

No, like you, I see him simply as a natural left back.

I've no great argument with any of your assessment although I felt he attacked more than against Sheffield and always tried to be constructive with his passing which he varied considerably.

And I certainly agree with your last paragraph.

Levein should keep faith with him.

It was Trev who said he was a converted centre half and I was just asking the general question in case I was in the minority who didn't realise he used to be a centre half by trade.

I thought he got forward well, but his distribution does need to be worked on. At reserve level he looks good in all areas but in the first team he's ticked every box other than his passing for me. His tackling, positional play, shooting and supporting the wingers has been championship level I think.

No way should he be written off yet, he should be given more games.

Obviously I watched his passing closely. He started well, using short and longer balls to bring people into play and finding lots of energy to support attacks and get shots in.

Some of his longer passes, though he was occasionally frustrated by lack of options, found their mark but possession was lost because of poor control by the recipient and Jason Hullcox referred to occasions when he panicked a bit under pressure.

I certainly remember two such occasions but, being fair, there was no support at the time and he was in positions where had he been caught in possession, Crewe might have countered.

Generally, I consider he's the last person to panic. At least he did get rid instead of being caught like the Arsenal defender for Cole's goal.

That's not to dismiss the criticism. Levein might as easily work on the importance of players always making themselves available to the man in possession just the same as he'll demand that Sheehan close down faster.

The team, not just Sheehan, will be better for it and better equipped to turn good performances into victories.

Sheehan showed on Saturday why hes not mentally ready for the first team just yet. His performance wreaked of immaturity, the handball was stupid but the challenged was totally unnecessary and he should have known he'd be booked and sent off for that after being booked for deliberate handball! Aside from that, Stearman (who was looking pretty great in defence) had to be sacrificed for his stupidity - I bet he was fuming!

I was under the impression, form reading I am obviously not able to watch youth/reserve games, that he he has pent a lot of time as a sweeper and as a centre back?? I am fairly sure I am correct, I obviously can't guarentee it.

You say he is good goign forward but I think that is simplified. He is fine when crossing and shooting but he doesn't look that agile on the ball, he seems unwilling to take it forward and to overlap in the way Stearman and Maybury do.

Sheehan showed on Saturday why hes not mentally ready for the first team just yet. His performance wreaked of immaturity, the handball was stupid but the challenged was totally unnecessary and he should have known he'd be booked and sent off for that after being booked for deliberate handball! Aside from that, Stearman (who was looking pretty great in defence) had to be sacrificed for his stupidity - I bet he was fuming!

Stearman wouldn't even have been there but for McCarthy who actually talked himself off the field rather than simply getting two bookings.

To say he's not mentally ready is an utterly over-the-top reactionary remark based on isolated incidents. Join the gang to kick the lad why not ...

Have you never been sent off, was Walshie never sent off or Dickov or pretty well everyone else?. Mountains out of molehills.

Don't come back in years to come (when he's playing in the Premiership for some other club) and say how much you rated him and encouraged him to break through.

As for Stearman being great in defence (and I'm a big fan of his) ..... cobblers. Crewe had precious few attacks but when they did they looked dangerous (had one goal disallowed from a ball which beat the backline) and on another occasion Crewe's central striker pulled a simple scoring chance wide with only Douglas to beat after a similar breakthrough.

I suppose you conveniently forgot those.

Which all goes to show how much people's careers can depend on people's perceptions. After all, Joey would have been out of the team altogether if some had had their way a few months back.

Stearman wouldn't even have been there but for McCarthy who actually talked himself off the field rather than simply getting two bookings.

To say he's not mentally ready is an utterly over-the-top reactionary remark based on isolated incidents. Join the gang to kick the lad why not ...

Have you never been sent off, was Walshie never sent off or Dickov or pretty well everyone else?. Mountains out of molehills.

Don't come back in years to come (when he's playing in the Premiership for some other club) and say how much you rated him and encouraged him to break through.

As for Stearman being great in defence (and I'm a big fan of his) ..... cobblers. Crewe had precious few attacks but when they did they looked dangerous (had one goal disallowed from a ball which beat the backline) and on another occasion Crewe's central striker pulled a simple scoring chance wide with only Douglas to beat after a similar breakthrough.

Which all goes to show how much people's careers can depend on people's perceptions. After all, Joey would have been out of the team altogether if some had had their way a few months back.

I would agree Stearmens defensive display could not be described as "great". He did make a few important challenges but as stated, Crewe did get through alot, espically taking into account the amount of possesion they had.

If you would stop and read the posts thrac, the majority of people are saying he had a bad game, but should be given another chance fairly soon. Nobody is kicking him, it's fair comment based on one performace. Any one with half a brain knows not to judge a player on one performance.

We all know you love him Thracian - you couldnt make it anymore obvious - no I havent been sent off - I have never played female football, only at college. Im certainly not kicking the lad, I have learnt not to slate any of our players - if you ever bother to read any of my posts and if you are talking like that then you are slating Stearman AND MY OPINION when I say he was looking good in defence - where do you get off exactly?

If he actually does something to impress me then ill say so, I dont need your permission of anyone elses for that matter. He didnt impress me on Saturday, he was immature and im perfectly entitled to say that, so enough of the patronising please.

I have disagreed with you Thracian :o how terrible of me!

I would agree Stearmens defensive display could not be described as "great". He did make a few important challenges but as stated, Crewe did get through alot, espically taking into account the amount of possesion they had.

If you would stop and read the posts thrac, the majority of people are saying he had a bad game, but should be given another chance fairly soon. Nobody is kicking him, it's fair comment based on one performace. Any one with half a brain knows not to judge a player on one performance.

Maybe I should have made myself clearer, Stearman looked better in central defence on Saturday than he does in any other position - ok?

We all know you love him Thracian - you couldnt make it anymore obvious - no I havent been sent off - I have never played female football, only at college. Im certainly not kicking the lad, I have learnt not to slate any of our players - if you ever bother to read any of my posts and if you are talking like that then you are slating Stearman AND MY OPINION when I say he was looking good in defence - where do you get off exactly?

If he actually does something to impress me then ill say so, I dont need your permission of anyone elses for that matter. He didnt impress me on Saturday, he was immature and im perfectly entitled to say that, so enough of the patronising please.

I have disagreed with you Thracian :o how terrible of me!

Disagree all you like, with pleasure.

Apologies for assuming you were a guy. I feel like a bad man with a big stick now.

Apologies for assuming you were a guy. I feel like a bad man with a big stick now.

Haha youv'e been posting on this forum for 6 months and you've only just relised she's a girl, :D

Stearmen has put a few good performances in at right back Katassi. Your probabley right about him having the potential to play better, at CB. Problem being he's probabley 4th choice CB at best :ermm:

:o

Katy is certainly no guy! Very pretty laydeee :D

As for Sheehan, there can be no defending his two stupid moments, Walshy got slated for his, Paddy has after Leeds, so Sheehan can be aswell.

I know we looked decent with 10 men, but who's to say that with 11 we would have gone on to win? I think he has potential, but what's that if you're only going to play 50 minutes? There is no excuse for two idiotic pieces of play but hopefully he'll learn from them for the future.

Haha youv'e been posting on this forum for 6 months and you've only just relised she's a girl, :D

Stearmen has put a few good performances in at right back Katassi. Your probabley right about him having the potential to play better, at CB. Problem being he's probabley 4th choice CB at best :ermm:

Stearman is centre back, but whilst he is still just getting used to playing regulaer first team football he will be playing at full back, Stearman himself has said that before he starts playing centre back he needs to bulk up a little bit more. He played ok at centre back on saturday so imagin ewith a bit more experience how good he will be then!!

Personally I thought Stearman looked very impressive at centre back and his recent nerves he's shown in games didn't appear at all and although it was only against Crewe he made some quality clearances and he's very eager to pass the ball out of defence instead of hitting and hoping like some of our defenders (Dublin, McCarthy, Nissa).

levein sort it out!

So we don't need another striker any longer?

But I concur. Attack wins games, defence the Championship. For too long, our defence has been juggled around with or filled with guys who just can't step up and do what they're supposed to do.

So we're getting Griffiths from Neuchâtel Xamax, a left back and a striker then?

Who's leaving the club then? Any others on a loan out?

I will! :P and anyway we've had this conversation about whether im a fella before! KATassi = Katy = girls name! :cry:

I've said from the start sheehan isn't upto the task and stearman is a squad player and sheehan proved me right on saturday all he did was have one shot on target made one tackle and whenever he had the ball he'd give it to smith and then not support him. Even i could do that thracian you should really admit when you've mis judged a player mate. Gilbert and sheehan will be gone in january or certainly at the end of the season.

Archived