Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

FOR THE ATTENTION OF THRACIAN!

Plug that gap!

by Bill Anderson

Leicester City will again try to plug the defensive gap left by the suspended Patrick McCarthy when they face Crewe at the Walkers Stadium on Saturday.

In another back-four reshuffle, Nissa Johansson is set to return in central defence with Alan Maybury reverting to his preferred right-back role and Alan Sheehan on the left.

Boss Craig Levein admits it has been a struggle to make up for the absence of McCarthy - "the best defender at the club" - and revealed his plans for the Crewe match to mark a return to winning ways.

Levein said: "We had been defending well but at Stoke last week it was the worst we had done at the back for a long time.

"McCarthy is, in my opinion, the best defender at the club, but it is his own fault he has been banned and we saw how much he was missed at Stoke.

"We need to do something different for the Crewe game because the rest of the team is all right. Rab Douglas is solid in goal, the midfield and strikers are doing well and I see no reason to change that.

"We have shown we can get goals but we need to stop them again. With Maybury at right-back and Sheehan on the left, they can both attack to support the others because, against Crewe, we should have more possession than we have had in the recent away games."

City want to pick up where they left off at home, that 4-2 win over Sheffield United, as a precursor to a good holiday programme which can boost them up the table.

And with second-string goalkeeper Paul Henderson recovering from injury, City will underline their positive nature by again going with five outfield substitutes.

Johansson and Sheehan both featured in a closed-door friendly against Boston United yesterday and Australian trialist Joel Griffiths did his chances no harm at all by notching the only goal of the game.

The Neuchatel Xamax midfielder was impressive overall and Levein said: "He did well and looks a good player, very fast and can play on the wing as well as midfield.

"This could be important as Momo Sylla is going to be away on African Cup duty soon and we are short of cover.

"Joel is out of contract in the summer and might be the answer, but I have yet to make up my mind."

Also featuring in the game was attacker Lee Morris who played half an hour, Levein saying: "It was encouraging to see him back in action."

Plug that gap!

by Bill Anderson

Leicester City will again try to plug the defensive gap left by the suspended Patrick McCarthy when they face Crewe at the Walkers Stadium on Saturday.

In another back-four reshuffle, Nissa Johansson is set to return in central defence with Alan Maybury reverting to his preferred right-back role and Alan Sheehan on the left.

Boss Craig Levein admits it has been a struggle to make up for the absence of McCarthy - "the best defender at the club" - and revealed his plans for the Crewe match to mark a return to winning ways.

Levein said: "We had been defending well but at Stoke last week it was the worst we had done at the back for a long time.

"McCarthy is, in my opinion, the best defender at the club, but it is his own fault he has been banned and we saw how much he was missed at Stoke.

"We need to do something different for the Crewe game because the rest of the team is all right. Rab Douglas is solid in goal, the midfield and strikers are doing well and I see no reason to change that.

"We have shown we can get goals but we need to stop them again. With Maybury at right-back and Sheehan on the left, they can both attack to support the others because, against Crewe, we should have more possession than we have had in the recent away games."

City want to pick up where they left off at home, that 4-2 win over Sheffield United, as a precursor to a good holiday programme which can boost them up the table.

And with second-string goalkeeper Paul Henderson recovering from injury, City will underline their positive nature by again going with five outfield substitutes.

Johansson and Sheehan both featured in a closed-door friendly against Boston United yesterday and Australian trialist Joel Griffiths did his chances no harm at all by notching the only goal of the game.

The Neuchatel Xamax midfielder was impressive overall and Levein said: "He did well and looks a good player, very fast and can play on the wing as well as midfield.

"This could be important as Momo Sylla is going to be away on African Cup duty soon and we are short of cover.

"Joel is out of contract in the summer and might be the answer, but I have yet to make up my mind."

Also featuring in the game was attacker Lee Morris who played half an hour, Levein saying: "It was encouraging to see him back in action."

Intersting

Thank fock for small merceys

Plug that gap!

by Bill Anderson

Good things come to he who waits, and waits, and waits!!! :) .

I think CL has been on this Forum site, cus he is finally responding to our suggestions!!!

Without any doubt the message gets through one way or another. If you were a manager and frustrated that things weren't happening for you wouldn't you sift the opinions to see if there might be an idea that appealed to you or the possible solution to a problem?.

City fans watch game after game for seasons on end. Collectively they have endless experience in learning to judge footballers and their only interest is to see the club prosper.

Like managers, the fans can be wrong sometimes, but much of what they put forward is only written to help the club, the manager and his staff.

As far as Sheehan is concerned, this is not just my campaign. A huge proportion of forum posters have suggested he might be our answer at left-back.

My sincere hope now (after all the build-up) is that Levein gives him an proper chance to settle into the job and that the fans don't expect miracles from the off but also give him encouragement and the opportunity to develop his confidence.

Sheehan is a talented and cultured left back who can assist our team in going forward and in dead ball plays.

He is not the finished article, he has strengths and weaknesses like all our players.

If in, say, six matches time he has shown himself to be clearly not ready then I will be more than happy to admit my mistake or over optimism but, please, let's not get on his back if he makes the odd error. He will only flourish if he gets encouragement.

I hope and believe he'll be the best constructive left-back (a la Dennis Irwin) that we've had for years, a footballing full-back who can pass, who can think, who can read the game. He can be extremely valuable for our club in time.

If he takes his chance he'll be the second player this season, after Stearman, to break through from our youth ranks and in offering the chance Levein is putting his judgement on the line which, belated though it is, deserves great credit. I for one appreciate it, appreciate the risks he is taking and appreciate that it is the only way forward if Leicester are to achieve lasting success while surviving economically.

Let's hope Levein's vision is rewarded, that he has the confidence to support the lad and that we, as supporters play our part.

Exciting times are on the way. Just off to get my ticket for Saturday! :):):)

I think the team will look more sluent with Sheehan in the team irrespective of how he plays on saturday. I'm confident he'll put in a resolute performance as he's a talented kid but with him at left back and Maybury at right back it will give the team a chance to attack as a unit and defend as a unit with no round pegs in square holes.

I also think his deliveries from set-pieces are the best at the club and it's time we started making a name for ourselves from corners and free-kicks, it's always been a trademark of ours for aslong as I can remember!

It's a shame Stearman will be dropped but he knows the score, he'll get his chance again and he'll do a good job. I still think Levein should be brave and give Stearman a chance at centre half if we get a few injuries or suspensions. Dublin might be experienced at the back but he's not going to be here much longer and rightly so, it's time Levein moulded Rich in to the position he's most natural at.

I think the team will look more sluent with Sheehan in the team irrespective of how he plays on saturday. I'm confident he'll put in a resolute performance as he's a talented kid but with him at left back and Maybury at right back it will give the team a chance to attack as a unit and defend as a unit with no round pegs in square holes.

I also think his deliveries from set-pieces are the best at the club and it's time we started making a name for ourselves from corners and free-kicks, it's always been a trademark of ours for aslong as I can remember!

It's a shame Stearman will be dropped but he knows the score, he'll get his chance again and he'll do a good job. I still think Levein should be brave and give Stearman a chance at centre half if we get a few injuries or suspensions. Dublin might be experienced at the back but he's not going to be here much longer and rightly so, it's time Levein moulded Rich in to the position he's most natural at.

Stearman should play the holding midfield role, i am convinced he has ability to do a fantastic job there

Nothing short of a Roberto Carlos performance will do. Maybe a Le Tournoi 1996 style free kick too for good measure.

If Sheehan does that, we'll have to give him the freedom of Leicester.

Great news, I'm looking forward to seeing him in action. I agree with Craig apart from his view that 'Douglas is solid in goal' :rolleyes:

Not from where I'm sitting he's not.

I didn't realise Momo was going to be away with Guinea for a while. Blessing in disguise?

I suggested it and people laughed it off

BTW great news, we seem to be playing quite well of late, but not getting the results. Levein has hopefully finally realised that Sheehan may be the man to help us get the results, with his freekicks and passing ability, plus he is actually a left back! Really pleased about it, just hope he does well.

Is the trialist going to be playing at Crewe?

Plug that gap!

by Bill Anderson

I beg to differ =/ I hope he has a blinder on saturday but my senses tell me it will probably be the opposite. Infact instead I hope our defense is so good that Rab Douglas doesn't need to play a blinder..

Archived