Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sparky

hume - midfielder or attacker ?

i think most of us would agree that hume has been a quality signing by levein but can i put this question forward .

4 goals in how ever many games he has played is not overly impressive . would hume be better used in a attacking midfield position or wide areas IF we had 2 strikers who could put the ball in the net .

my personal veiw is that i think he could be deverstating in a role behind a decent front 2.

your veiws ??

i think most of us would agree that hume has been a quality signing by levein but can i put this question forward .

4 goals in how ever many games he has played is not overly impressive . would hume be better used in a attacking midfield position or wide areas IF we had 2 strikers who could put the ball in the net .

my personal veiw is that i think he could be deverstating in a role behind a decent front 2.

your veiws ??

Ive been thinking this for a while Sparks, he is actually officially a midfielder isnt he? or at least started out life as a midfielder

Ive been thinking this for a while Sparks, he is actually officially a midfielder isnt he? or at least started out life as a midfielder

got a feeling i can remember seeing him on the right wing for tranmere

your veiws ??

As I said when he was signed, :rolleyes::whistle: , he is an attacking midfielder. ;):thumbup:

Yeh i think he would be good in a role behind a decent front 2.

But the problem is we aint got a decent front 2, so we need him to play up front.

yeah thats a good call , hopefully we can put that right soon

As I said when he was signed, :rolleyes::whistle: , he is an attacking midfielder. ;):thumbup:

Well there you go then!

CL wont play him there anyway, hes already playing out of position so he'll be loathed to play him where hes apparently best :rolleyes:

I would play 4-3-1-2 with Hume being the AM or Smith being the AM.

I suggested it two months ago. It was clear then that neither Elvis nor Hume were going to be prolific.

Indeed any two of our three recognised strikers would rarely carry enough potency. We needed all three and the only way that could be done was putting Hume in the hole.

But then you'd never enjoy the luxury of two wingers so you'd have to play attacking full-backs and allow one winger to roam so it would only have been short term patchwork.

EG:

Douglas;

Stearman, McCarthy, Dublin, Sheehan;

Hughes, Joey, Smith;

Hume,

Elvis, DeVries.

Or:

Douglas;

Stearman, McCarthy, Dublin, Sheehan;

Hughes/Williams, Joey, Tiatto;

Hume,

Elvis, Smith.

However, we've moved on from there, or at least downwards so I think our attacking line-up now needs to be laced with battlers so, as Levein will persist with 4-4-2 because it would be crazy changing the main system at this stage, I'd go:

Douglas;

Stearman/Maybury, McCarthy, Dublin, Sheehan;

Smith, Hughes, Joey, Tiatto;

Elvis, Hume.

Any striker would take Elvis's place and any right winger would allow Smith to switch into Tiatto's place although I actually like the combative Tiatto in present circumstances if he can be persuaded to stay around and do his job. He can work the left, both inside and outside and he can cover for Sheehan's attacking.

-------------------Henderson-------------------

Stearman----McCarthy------N-EJ---Sheehan

---------Hughes----Joey----Williams----------

---------------------Smith----------------------

-----------------Hume----Elvis-----------------

subs

Douglas, Maybury, Hammil, MdV, Kisnorbo

I like this one by napalm.

-------------------Henderson-------------------

Stearman----McCarthy------N-EJ---Sheehan

---------Hughes----Joey----Williams----------

---------------------Smith----------------------

-----------------Hume----Elvis-----------------

subs

Douglas, Maybury, Hammil, MdV, Kisnorbo

So what did we do with Gerrbrand? Sell him? Because, surely you don't think he's not good enough!

your veiws ??

It would be but Levein has no tactical clue so he wouldn't know to put Hume behind the front two.

• 7 months later...

I really do believe that Hume's best position would be in midfield. He's not a natural out-and-out striker but a goal scoring midfielder (and came to us as such). There's a place on the left side of midfield he could easily fill with his abilities and pace (probably more '2 footed' than anyone else in the squad - and I think he played regularly there for Tranmere). It would solve a problem position (get rid of Tiatto) and 'free up' a central striker position - which I would fill with O'Grady (ideal 'target man' and 'foil' for Matty).

I think a midfield of Low, Williams, Johnson/Hughes (probably the latter, given Tueday's performance) and Hume would be as good as we could get without buying anyone else ?

I really do believe that Hume's best position would be in midfield. He's not a natural out-and-out striker but a goal scoring midfielder (and came to us as such). There's a place on the left side of midfield he could easily fill with his abilities and pace (probably more '2 footed' than anyone else in the squad - and I think he played regularly there for Tranmere). It would solve a problem position (get rid of Tiatto) and 'free up' a central striker position - which I would fill with O'Grady (ideal 'target man' and 'foil' for Matty).

I think a midfield of Low, Williams, Johnson/Hughes (probably the latter, given Tueday's performance) and Hume would be as good as we could get without buying anyone else ?

Good idea. Never going to happen though. Cant see kelly doing this.

Year he could play a similar role to McSheffery at Coventry, who starts on the left but often drifts inside behind the front two, making him difficult to mark. This would probably mean playing Hughes on the right otherwise if we played another winger our central midfield would get over run.

Archived