Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Louise

Thanks Craig

Firstly, I don't want to start any arguments. If you hate Levein so much that you can't read anything vaguely complimentary towards him then don't read on. There are plenty of anti-Levein threads on here already, go and post in one of those.

I just wanted to start a thread thanking Craig for some of the good things he did for our club. It might not have worked out in the end but he had the best of intentions. Here are some things I think Craig did well:

1. Signings – Personally I think Levein has made some fantastic signings while here and hopefully their long-term contracts will mean we'll see the full benefit of that for years to come. Players like Hume, Fryatt, Hughes, McCarthy and Gerrbrand who I think are all brilliant players – and ones like Maybury, Johansson and Hammond (and any others I've forgotten) who also have good potential. And getting Smith here for a season; inspirational. Even the players that a lot of people don't like were a relief to me as they at least tried and put an effort in unlike some of the signings we've made under other managers.

2. Youth Setup – Levein did some good work with our youth set-up. Firstly by giving chances to players like Stearman, Sheehan and Wesolowski who we know have been at the club for a while and might not have been given a chance under other managers. And secondly the stuff that he has done behind the scenes for the youth set-up, getting players to train with the first team, watching reserve matches, drumming up more interest in the young players. Hopefully this will benefit us for years to come.

3. Cup Games – When Levein came in it seemed like ages since we'd had a good cup run and he gave us three. The inability to convert the cup form into the league form is probably what did for him in the end, but those cup games were certainly very enjoyable. Reading away, last minute winner, Charlton away, last minute winner, Blackburn away, last minute cheating, diving penalty, 7000 City fans, Cardiff away, revenge for the league result, Bolton away, taking them into extra time – and my personal favourite, a game that is probably the most enjoyable one I've seen from Leicester for about five years at least, the win against Spurs at the Walkers.

Those were the three main areas I wanted to highlight. I'd also say that I'm thankful for his style of play – despite what the Hearts fans said when he came here he didn't just set the team up to defend all the time, or hoof all the time – it was a nice change. I'd also like to say thanks for some of the great league performances and results, Sheff U and Stoke at home, Watford away this season, Millwall, Leeds, Derby at home last season (the ones I can remember off the top of my head). It's a shame that the consistency just wasn't there.

I don't mind if no-one replies to this thread, if everyone hates Craig and is glad he's gone, I just wanted to say thanks for some of the good things he's done here, and hope that he's not remembered as an awful manager by the fans – whether he would have taken us down or taken us up we'll never know now. I wish him all the best for the future. :)

'tis a good post, i think he should be remembered for the excellent work he done off the pitch and not what he done on the pitch, which is what most people will remember him for.

Yeah. To be fair to the guy, some of my favourite matches have been during his time at the club but sadly they were all in the cup. Reading away, Charlton away and Spurs at home were all fantastic memories but sadly the league form has somewhat overshadowed these games. I liked the guy and Im sorry that it hasnt worked out for him here but I feel that it was time for him to go. We have so much potential on the pitch and we couldnt afford to keep getting the results we did.

Good luck Craig!

I just want to wish Craig all of the best. I DID want him to go because his motivation and tactician qualities left a lot to be desired - however his signings were good as INDIVIDUAL PLAYERS. Plus, he also slashed the wage bill, brought in young players AND got them to play better football.

Leicester City just wasn't his club.

Levein should NEVER be spoken in the same breath as Wise and Taylor - the 2 names who ruined this club !!

All the best Craig !!

:cool:

Craig did well off the field for this club, bringing in many fantastic young and hungry players to this fine club, it's a shame I feel he could never achieve the same feat on the field.

All the best Craig, I wish you well in the future and I thank you for the good things you have done for this club of ours.

Leicester City just wasn't his club.

Levein should NEVER be spoken in the same breath as Wise and Taylor - the 2 names who ruined this club !!

All the best Craig !!

:cool:

Couldn't put it better. I won't remember this time fondly, but we know the behind the scenes work has been steadfast. I have never doubted his commitment to the club.

I would also like to highlight the times he talked sense, especially in the first season here. He seemed to know what he was doing and what he wanted to do in the long term, but sadly it didn't work out.

The sad truth is that Craig Levein wasn't ready for this level.

I hope Levein's blueprint for future success will help the club achieve success down the road. I'll only thank him if this happens ;) but I certainly don't wish him anything bad.

His approach to match strategy, tactics and line-up selection need a lot of work. He'll have a better chance to work on that with a club that's not concerned with fighting steep debts and worrying about relegation. Hopefully both the club and Levein will learn from their mistakes and move forward.

Well i sat on the fence a little...... I could see what Levein was trying to achieve,and what a huge task he had.My concern with sacking him,was the task of replacing him.I cant think of any manager that would want the job,for any other reason than to line there pocket.If we go on to get relegated then we shall still blame Levein,and the new manager takes no blame.I hope it all turns out,but i do not feel confident at all.

The sad truth is that Craig Levein wasn't ready for this level.

I hope Levein's blueprint for future success will help the club achieve success down the road. I'll only thank him if this happens ;) but I certainly don't wish him anything bad.

His approach to match strategy, tactics and line-up selection need a lot of work. He'll have a better chance to work on that with a club that's not concerned with fighting steep debts and worrying about relegation. Hopefully both the club and Levein will learn from their mistakes and move forward.

Well said

Can't believe some of this. I certainly don't doubt all your sincerity but the man was an unmitigated disaster for this club. Just how much a disaster only time will tell. Most of the things which are being heralded as his successes are either down to others or not successes at all.

I wish him all the best, and he does deserve a pat on the back for what he did financially for leicester. Yes, having said that we could get relegated and that would be a financial disaster, but you can't predict everything in football...

Good luck Craig.

I must say it seems like you are picking some silly things for Craig Levein's short list of positives, even Peter Taylor can say he had us in 2nd place in the Premiership once.. big deal

.. positives for me, some good signings and has generally given us a decent backbone to build our future on. But his results for this club have been utterly woeful. His excuses for these results also were woeful. There was no sign of any improvement coming about, if anything it was the other way round. In my mind there is no doubt he would have got us relegated and he has left us in a precarious position in the championship. He allowed some of the youth to come through and thats always a good thing. He took the wage bill down and that is also a good thing.

Levein has been a nightmare, but also strangely at the same time, he has also stabilised our club and given us something to build on which is always something to be thankful for..

At the end of the day, I'd say we have had worse managers.. but we have obviously had better..

Great post.

I agree and thank Craig for his work. I backed him until the result last night, at which point I turned and agreed with the majority that it was time to get rid. His plans for the future were good, only he couldn't translate them into all important results.

I think if we can choose a good manager, he will be able to build a good team out of our current squad.

Levein did underestimate the task at Leicester, of that there is no doubt. Maybe this job was too soon for Levein as others have stated.

All the same, onwards and upwards. Thanks for your help Craig. I hope you can come back from this wiser and rebuild your career.

Now it is time for us to get out of this mess now. Come on the city.

Archived