Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Louise

Thanks Craig

I recognise that Levein did do a few good things for the club. Some very promising signings and he had a long term plan, but his negatives outweighed any positives.

It's always sad to see a Leicester City manager being sacked (even though I was one of Levein's major critics, it's still not nice when the day arrives) - but it's for the best of both parties.

He's left us in a dire position, but I fear for his career now. He's not going to get a club as big as us, but then again that's his fault.

Thanks for the signings (well a fair number, not all of them) Craig, but you can't complain about the outcome.

CL did a lot of good things here as we've all heard. The future was looking a lot brighter for a good while with the younger players and longer contracts.

Unfortunately our league form has been awful and I feel that our lack of experience and leadership has been a part of that :(

It's now come to the point where all long term ideas go out of the window and the aim must simply be to stay up, however we do it.

If we do stay up (and I hope to God we do) our future could be looking a lot brighter as these players would gain invaluble experience from this season.

Thanks for the things you did and the things you tried to do Craig and all the best.

Seconded.

The man has got us staring 3rd Division football slap bang in the face.

I have nothing to thank you for.

Then why bother posting in this thread when I clearly said at the start that if you don't like Craig, stop reading. There are plenty of other threads on here for people to slag off Craig in, its been an ongoing boring theme for weeks.

Well, I'll say the same to you then. If you find threads which criticise Levein boring, don't read them.

This forum is meant for debate. You can't post something and decide that only people who agree with you are allowed to reply!

If you want your ego soothing, this probably isn't the place.

Well, I'll say the same to you then. If you find threads which criticise Levein boring, don't read them.

This forum is meant for debate. You can't post something and decide that only people who agree with you are allowed to reply!

If you want your ego soothing, this probably isn't the place.

I was attempting to make this post different from all of the other ones that have been posted on this forum for the past few weeks - most of those ones involving you. I don't want my ego soothed, I just wanted to focus on a different point of view, clearly you couldn't be bothered with that and decided to change the discussion so you could put across your own - off topic - point again. Who needs their ego soothing?

good points but he has successed in what could be seen as secondary objectives but failed in the primary objective which is league position. Thats what cost him his job.

I still can't see that he even achieved his secondary objectives. The board instructed him to reduce the wage bill. In doing so he offloaded all the older, higher salaried players on short contracts. He had no choice Hardly an achievement. He's replaced them with vastly inferior players, with the obvious few exceptions. He knew the conditions that the board demanded before he came. So I can't for the life of me think why anyone should think he achieved anything but the shipwrecking of a great club.....

The overriding feeling for me right now is one of dissapointment.

Firstly, I'm dissapointed for CL that his dream never managed to get off the ground. He obviously had some very definite ideas about where he wanted to take LCFC during his tenure. The long term goals he touted were exactly what the club needed after the short-terminism of Adams and if he'd been able to see them through we might have been talking about CL in years to come in the same way as we talk about MON now.

All it would have took were a few more goals here and there, for the team to have put some of those chances away, to have tured some of the defeats into draws and some of the draws into wins. If that had happened we'd be sitting comfortably in mid-table, looking forward to next season after spending this season consolidating and forming the backbone of the team. But, it wasn't to be, it was a thin line though.

Secondly, I'm dissapointed that CL was so stubborn, stoic, defeatest and seemingly unable to learn from his past mistakes. Anything good that he's done for the club has been totally undermined by his inability to see much, much earlier in the season that certain players were never going to get him the results he needed to stay in his joband that we needed to stay in the Championship.

Thirdly, I'm dissapointed, nay gutted, at the state that CL has left the club in, staring Div 1 in the face with a demoralised and unmotivated team. I just hope to god that the players find it in themselves to pull the situation around.

I too would like to wish Craig Levein all the best for the future (though whether the small minded mods that run this board would like you to see this message is another matter - around 1/4 of my posts/threads are deleted).

Levein is in good need of ALL our best wishes. Taking a large stable club like LCFC into TWO relegation dogfights within a year will not look good on his CV. I imagine he will pass out his days in the nether regions of Scottish football in front of a few hundred fans every Saturday on roughly 10% of his current salary. The only way is down...

Louise, you didn't happen to start a similar thread when Micky Adams resigned did you? You see, he did happen to get us promotion (at the first attempt) without any new signings and did, according to our great Chairman, 'virtually singlehandedly save LCFC from extinction.'

Adams also had the decency to resign and save the club a packet in compensation pay-outs. Levein and co have lumbered us with £750,000 worth of contract buy-outs.

The overriding feeling for me right now is one of dissapointment.

Firstly, I'm dissapointed for CL that his dream never managed to get off the ground. He obviously had some very definite ideas about where he wanted to take LCFC during his tenure.

All it would have took were a few more goals here and there, for the team to have put some of those chances away, to have tured some of the defeats into draws and some of the draws into wins. If that had happened we'd be sitting comfortably in mid-table, looking forward to next season after spending this season consolidating and forming the backbone of the team. But, it wasn't to be, it was a thin line though.

Secondly, I'm dissapointed that CL was so stubborn, stoic, defeatest and seemingly unable to learn from his past mistakes. Anything good that he's done for the club has been totally undermined by his inability to see much, much earlier in the season that certain players were never going to get him the results he needed to stay in his joband that we needed to stay in the Championship.

Thirdly, I'm dissapointed, nay gutted, at the state that CL has left the club in, staring Div 1 in the face with a demoralised and unmotivated team. I just hope to god that the players find it in themselves to pull the situation around.

Shouldn't it be 'ChimpS'? Do you suffer from multiple personality disorder or are you conjoined twins with divergent personalities? Your post is a mass of contradictions. Seems like you are in denial about something.

I'm presenting you with the Bobby Gould Award for most ludicrous sentence of the season:

'The long term goals he touted were exactly what the club needed after the short-terminism of Adams and if he'd been able to see them through we might have been talking about CL in years to come in the same way as we talk about MON now.'

Louise, you didn't happen to start a similar thread when Micky Adams resigned did you?

I hope I'm not as bitter as you in a few years time Chandler. If you really want to know what I said about Adams you can look back through my posts and see. I didn't start a thread like this about him, I didn't like him as much as I liked Craig, however I think there was a post like this made about Adams after he left and I wished him the best of luck in it.

i agree with many points in this thread. Craig Levein wasnt cut out for the job and he couldnt handle it but he's turned Micky Adams team around and got us a new younger, fitter, less greedy team. ok they havent started playing like one yet but we have some real assets in the squad i.e Stearman, McCarthy, Hume, Fryatt, Smith (temporarily), Wesolowski. i hope a new boss comes in and saves us. but all the best to Craig Levein in whatever he does next.

(though whether the small minded mods that run this board would like you to see this message is another matter - around 1/4 of my posts/threads are deleted).

And I thought I was paranoid.... :rolleyes:

I would like to wish Craig all the best. I feel sad that it didn't work out, although whether I'm sad for CL or the club is debatable! This clearly wasn't the right time or the right place for him. It's a pity we're so close to the drop before anyone realised.

I think in our last two managers we have had two extremes, the "short term results are everything" view, and the "long term development at the detriment of short term stability" approach. I believe these views come ultimately from the top.

What we need now is a balance, and I can only hope that the board can find either a short term manager to keep us up, and then someone with a longer term view, or someone with the skills to focus on one then the other.

Craig has put some structure and youth back into the team and backroom which will be usefull in the long term. Sadly he may have left us short on the experience and leadership fronts.

Let's hope we are in the Championship next season to say thanks to Criag for the younger players who can develop and improve with the team.

I agree CL had to go, at the end of the day opur current league position was unacceptable.

But I don't take any pleasure at all from the fact he has gone. I think we have the backbone of a very good squad, certainly better than theor league position siggests, and I can't remember a time when there were more promising players coming through.

I still thing CL's vision for the club was the right one and we will seed the benefit of much of what he has been trying to do in the next couple of years. Sadly he lacked the tactical nous and mitivation skills to get the best out of what he put in place, but if we can avoid relegation I belive the future can still be bright.

So CL leaves with my thanks for the good things he has done and my best wishes for whatever happens next.

Simon

I dont see what the problem is with looking for the positives from CLs reign, and the good things hes done for the club have been intelligently written by Louise and I agree with the majority of them.

I could see what CL was trying to do and its just a shame he underestimated this league and it didnt work out for him on the pitch.

I stood by the chap for as long as I could but after Plymouth I couldnt see a way out of this mess we are in - every game was beginning to follow a similar pattern to the previous one. Im hoping a fresh face can motivate this shower and turn them into fighters to keep us in this division.

Good Luck Craig and thanks for all you've done and all you attempted to do.

Firstly, I don't want to start any arguments. If you hate Levein so much that you can't read anything vaguely complimentary towards him then don't read on. There are plenty of anti-Levein threads on here already, go and post in one of those.

I just wanted to start a thread thanking Craig for some of the good things he did for our club. It might not have worked out in the end but he had the best of intentions. Here are some things I think Craig did well:

1. Signings – Personally I think Levein has made some fantastic signings while here and hopefully their long-term contracts will mean we'll see the full benefit of that for years to come. Players like Hume, Fryatt, Hughes, McCarthy and Gerrbrand who I think are all brilliant players – and ones like Maybury, Johansson and Hammond (and any others I've forgotten) who also have good potential. And getting Smith here for a season; inspirational. Even the players that a lot of people don't like were a relief to me as they at least tried and put an effort in unlike some of the signings we've made under other managers.

2. Youth Setup – Levein did some good work with our youth set-up. Firstly by giving chances to players like Stearman, Sheehan and Wesolowski who we know have been at the club for a while and might not have been given a chance under other managers. And secondly the stuff that he has done behind the scenes for the youth set-up, getting players to train with the first team, watching reserve matches, drumming up more interest in the young players. Hopefully this will benefit us for years to come.

3. Cup Games – When Levein came in it seemed like ages since we'd had a good cup run and he gave us three. The inability to convert the cup form into the league form is probably what did for him in the end, but those cup games were certainly very enjoyable. Reading away, last minute winner, Charlton away, last minute winner, Blackburn away, last minute cheating, diving penalty, 7000 City fans, Cardiff away, revenge for the league result, Bolton away, taking them into extra time – and my personal favourite, a game that is probably the most enjoyable one I've seen from Leicester for about five years at least, the win against Spurs at the Walkers.

Those were the three main areas I wanted to highlight. I'd also say that I'm thankful for his style of play – despite what the Hearts fans said when he came here he didn't just set the team up to defend all the time, or hoof all the time – it was a nice change. I'd also like to say thanks for some of the great league performances and results, Sheff U and Stoke at home, Watford away this season, Millwall, Leeds, Derby at home last season (the ones I can remember off the top of my head). It's a shame that the consistency just wasn't there.

I don't mind if no-one replies to this thread, if everyone hates Craig and is glad he's gone, I just wanted to say thanks for some of the good things he's done here, and hope that he's not remembered as an awful manager by the fans – whether he would have taken us down or taken us up we'll never know now. I wish him all the best for the future. :)

I totally agree with what you've said.

I was a stout Craig Levein fan, like I was with Micky Adams but it comes to a point where it's in the best interests of the club if they depart.

I liked the ideas that Levein had here and was desperate for him to suceed as i've walways wanted to see younger players at Leicester and the youth team players getting a chance. He did that here and it was great to see, but losing matches takes it's toll and I became as bewildered with it all as much as I did in Adams final months and it's a shame.

But we have to move on, good luck to Craig. I think he'll do well back in Scotland and I hope the fans will recognise the good things he did at this club. I honestly think it's only a matter of getting a manager who can motivate and the replacement of the crap players we have with some better experienced players and we'll move in the right direction. There's only 5 or 6 players who aren't good enough for this club and if we replace those with good experienced players then we'll take this club forward and Levein will of had a hand in that.

Cheers Craig, you were my first choice as replacement of Adams. I'm upset it hasn't worked out but you are welcome back here whenever in my eyes.

But I don't take any pleasure at all from the fact he has gone.

Neither do I. He's gone for a reason, and that's what upsets me most. It's a shame some people seem to be delighting in his failure.

Taking a large stable club like LCFC into TWO relegation dogfights within a year will not look good on his CV.

Stable club?? Is this the same Leicester?

5 managers in 5 or 6 years, two relegations and administration is not what i'd call stable.

Archived