Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

The Newell Rumour

Leicester will appoint Mike Newell as their new manager at the end of the season. (Daily Mirror)

Beeb Gossip Column (Thursday)

Do we want the 'rectangular-faced gimp' (quote Cobbo, I think) here at the end of the season?

And does this reflect our 'improved' position, football wise - so much improved that a recent favorite who stated he didn't want to take over, has decided he wants to give it a go?

Or is this regular tabloid tripe?

I wasn't surprised to hear this rumour in the lead up to the game on saturday, the media are obviously trying to cause some tension, it certainly won't unsettle us but it might them. The reason why I don't think it will unsettle us is because each time we were set to appoint a new manager according to the media the team went out and won!

Let's hope that happens on saturday, sweet revenge.

If Kelly carries on as he is, then there's very little chance of Newell coming here.

Especially considering we'd have to pay compensation for him, plus pay him more than we'd have to pay Kelly. With us having very little money in the summer to spend, I find that option ludicrous.

I wouldn't want Newell here now after what happened when we were manager-less, coming for talks "because it would be rude not to". What a cock end, never want to see him here again.

If we weren't to keep Kelly at the end of the season, Im sure we could tempt one of the League One promotion hopefuls managers who don't end up going up. Tilson, Parkinson, Allen etc all can't go up in the Championship, but whilst there is a chance for them, none of them want to leave just yet. However, im sure whoever doesn't go up would probably take the job.

So basically the BBC are suggesting that a bloke who was interviewed twice but didn't, for whatever reason, get offered the chance of saving us when we were in the pickle, should now take over from a team of guys who seemingly will save us and have collected 14 points at two points a match (which is more than he's been averaging lately). Unlikely I'd say and a crazy risk.

We don't want another upheaval. We need to build on what has been achieved this year in terms of putting a player policy into effect. In any case, Newell's is not the name that has been mentioned to me as the likely alternative to Kelly IF the club should change direction.

Like many others I wanted Newell at the time but barring some ridiculously unlikely change of fortune, Kelly and co have done so well they now seem to be the sensible way forward providing Kelly wants the job and is prepared to develop an attacking side which attracts more spectators. Where would be the logic in changing? Kelly knows our players well and is best placed to know what weaknesses need improving.

We don't need a wholesale dismantling and restart.

Beeb Gossip Column (Thursday)

Do we want the 'rectangular-faced gimp' (quote Cobbo, I think) here at the end of the season?

And does this reflect our 'improved' position, football wise - so much improved that a recent favorite who stated he didn't want to take over, has decided he wants to give it a go?

Or is this regular tabloid tripe?

Who are we playing next? :huh::unsure::rolleyes::whistle::ph34r:

If we continue with promotion form (which 14 from 7 is) kelly will get the job and hopefully he can carry that on into next season.

But knowing are board even still they might get newell!

I don't think we need that many more players to get into the top six. Midfielder, left back and a keeper?

If we continue with promotion form (which 14 from 7 is) kelly will get the job and hopefully he can carry that on into next season.

I don't think we need that many more players to get into the top six. Midfielder, left back and a keeper?

I would like a Keeper, Left Back, Right Winger, Left Winger, Central Midfielder, and another striker as well to challenge Humey and Fryatt for a first team position.

we only have limited funds so we can either get a good number of cheap players in or try for a few decent ones.

the midfield needs strengthening and the goal keepers we have at present struggle to keep clean sheets which means we have to score just to stay in the game.

nissa is good enough for leftback in this division and this is the season sheehan should be breaking through.

we have decent strike options for this division.

id say we need a decent midfielder , goalkeeper and another defender.

So basically the BBC are suggesting that a bloke who was interviewed twice but didn't, for whatever reason, get offered the chance of saving us when we were in the pickle, should now take over from a team of guys who seemingly will save us and have collected 14 points at two points a match (which is more than he's been averaging lately). Unlikely I'd say and a crazy risk.

We don't want another upheaval. We need to build on what has been achieved this year in terms of putting a player policy into effect. In any case, Newell's is not the name that has been mentioned to me as the likely alternative to Kelly IF the club should change direction.

Like many others I wanted Newell at the time but barring some ridiculously unlikely change of fortune, Kelly and co have done so well they now seem to be the sensible way forward providing Kelly wants the job and is prepared to develop an attacking side which attracts more spectators. Where would be the logic in changing? Kelly knows our players well and is best placed to know what weaknesses need improving.

We don't need a wholesale dismantling and restart.

the BBC were just reporting what they read in The Mirror. :thumbup:

Don't think so. I know the board doesn't always make the most logical decisions - but if Kelly continues to get results, I doubt the board would run along to try to tempt Newell here due to our weaker financial position. Thinking about it more makes it seem even sillier - Newell would probably want his own backroom staff, and he'd want to bring in some players of his own. That could be a costly exercise, and the board will try to avoid it if they can.

I think we should keep Kelly. He's doing a good job and should be allowed a shot.

In all fairness he has been given a shot - he's in charge until the end of the season. ;)

16 league games and an FA cup game are a short but reasonable run to allow somebody to give the job a shot. Stuart Pearce had the last 8 (or so) Premiership games with Man City last season, and look where it got him. :)

Assuming we don't have a complete reversal in the next few weeks, Kelly will remain in charge. He'll sign a 3 year deal in May - nice and early so he can get ready for pre-season work, new signings and all.

Unfortunately, there could be something in this rumour. I have a feeling that Newell may have been hedging his bets when he 'turned us down' so publicly.

Newell is a strange, complex character. He had some bottle in bringing up the bung issue but he did it in such a peculiar way: as if he had beeb shafted in a deal. I wasn't impressed either with his conduct at the cup game against Liverpool. Seemed a bit aloof to me. If there is any truth in this rumour it suggests that Kelly does not want the job.

A great pity if that is the case.

RK was at the last fans meeting, and he seemed to be thinking of the long term future of the club. He gave the impression that if offered the chance to carry on next season, he would take it.

the BBC were just reporting what they read in The Mirror. :thumbup:

Don't think so. I know the board doesn't always make the most logical decisions - but if Kelly continues to get results, I doubt the board would run along to try to tempt Newell here due to our weaker financial position. Thinking about it more makes it seem even sillier - Newell would probably want his own backroom staff, and he'd want to bring in some players of his own. That could be a costly exercise, and the board will try to avoid it if they can.

In all fairness he has been given a shot - he's in charge until the end of the season. ;)

16 league games and an FA cup game are a short but reasonable run to allow somebody to give the job a shot. Stuart Pearce had the last 8 (or so) Premiership games with Man City last season, and look where it got him. :)

Assuming we don't have a complete reversal in the next few weeks, Kelly will remain in charge. He'll sign a 3 year deal in May - nice and early so he can get ready for pre-season work, new signings and all.

As well as Kelly is doing it would be suicide to offer a three year contract. Far too long at this stage.

Archived