Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Steve Walsh - Legend 1

1) The best football tackle I have ever witnessed. David Hopkin squeeled after Walsh took ball then man and left him in a crumpled heap.

Must agree the most vicious, hard, legal tackle I've ever witnessed. Hopkins played no more part in the match and hobbled for the rest of the game. Watching the replay you could hear the sound echo through the TV as contact was made!!! :thumbup:

Leicester (0) 3 - 3 (1) Arsenal

Filbert St. Wednesday 27th August 1997

FA Carling Premiership

Immediate Reaction

scorers: Heskey, Elliott, Walsh. Bergkamp3

Arsenal:

Seaman

Dixon Grimandi Bould Winterburn

Parlour (Hughes) Petit Vieira Overmars (Platt)

Wright (Anelka) Bergkamp

Arsenal were basically not troubled for 84 minutes, Bergkamp putting us 2 up with another 2 fantastic goals. Then Heskey got one back after the ball felll a bit luckily for him in the box. With the impressive Leicester crowd behind them the home side continued to push for the draw and Elliott got it with a deflected 20-yarder a couple fo minutes into injury time. From the kick-off Fenton squandered possession and Platt (on for Parlour) found Bergkamp with a 30-40 yard pass which Dennis buried for his first Arsenal hattrick (described by Alan Hansen on MotD as the best hattrick he'd seen). But the ref continued to play and after about 6 minutes of injury time Walsh header another, final, equaliser. Unprofessional scenes ensued, with Arsenal players rushing the pitch from the bench, and even Wenger coming onto the pitch (although he says it was to calm things down and who am I to argue). Wright on particualr, who had been substituted by Anelka with about a quarter of an hour left, got into a bit of a face-off with Walsh. The two of them, and Vieira, are to be reported by the ref for "adopting an aggressive attitude towards each other". This could obviously mean a serious punishment for Wrighty.

It is a bit disturbing if Wenger's lesson from this is anythign to do with time-keeping (unless the lesson is "play to the final whistel and don't even think about how much time is left"). These things happen and they happen both ways (remember Villa last season?). What's really worrying is the fact that we let a 2-goal lead slip, and then a 1-goal lead, and that (some of) our players couldn't cope with it.

Reports on the players vary: eg as usual Parlour was either "completely useless" or "totally committed" (or both?). Platt was rubbish but good enough to make the third goal - more trouble than it was worth? Grimandi was either weak or strong (but in either case, not tall enough to cope with Walsh and Elliott). Seaman was either hesitant or given no chance. Overmars was anonymous or under-served. No arguments about Bergkamp though! Sheer class.

Other good news: Dixon's back and playing well. If Adams & Keown come back we're up to strength and should be able to stop this kind of thing happening. There's a 2 week gap after the Spurs game so fingers crossed. Unfortunately it's our understanding at ArseWeb that Adams could be out for longer than we thought.

Fair play to Leicester. As someone said we out-played them for 85 minutes then they out-passioned us for 10. Well, we certainly appreciate it when the Arsenal do the same for us.

report by Rupe.

See also the AFCi report or those on the other Arsenal sites. More here as & when we get it. Do _you_ have anything to add?

Full report

FA Carling Premiership

Leicester City vs Arsenal Wed Aug 27 1997

Result : Leicester (0) 3 Arsenal (1) 3

Scorers: Heskey 84, Elliot 93, Bergkamp 9,61,94

Walsh 96

Arsenal: Seaman, Dixon, Bould, Grimandi, Winterburn, Petit, Vieira,

Parlour, Overmars, Bergkamp, Wright

Subs: Anelka (Wright 78), Platt (Parlour 82),

Hughes (Overmars 82), Marshall, Lukic

Booked: Bergkamp, Parlour, Bould

Leicester: Keller, Kaamark, Guppy, Elliott, Prior, Walsh, Izzet,

Lennon, Savage, Claridge, Heskey

Subs: Fenton (Claridge 63), Cottee (Izzet 73),

Parker (Savage 73), Andrews, Whitlow

Booked: Lennon, Prior, Kaamark, Elliott

Att: 21089

Ref: G P Barber (Pyrford)

An astonishing climax at Filbert St last night to a game which Arsenal seemed to have comfortably won with less than 7 minutes of normal time left. 2 equalisers in 2nd half injury time rescued a point for Leicester and provided their fans at least with a night to remember. Arsenal fans had a sublime hattrick from Dennis Bergkamp to cherish but were left more than a little miffed at the amount of injury time the ref played. Quite where he found 6 minutes from only Mr Barber knows, but deep down I suspect Arsenal know that their disorganised defending in the final dramatic minutes was also to blame. The first half contained little hint of the drama to come, apart from the referee's eccentric attempts to upstage the outstanding player on the field, Dennis Bergkamp. Early in the game Elliot went through the back of Wright, which left the Arsenal striker writhing in agony. A clear yellow card offence, but the ref waved play on and compounded the injustice by refusing to allow Gary Lewin on to treat WWW. While he was hobbling off a minute or two later, a clearly riled Bergkamp was booked for fouling Walsh, and Prior followed the Dutchman into the book for physically remonstrating with him.

Leicester had started the game more brightly and indeed went close in the opening minute when a cross from the right eluded the Arsenal defence and Heskey only just failed to get on the end of it. The Gunners soon took control though, and after 8 minutes took the lead with another Bergkamp wonder goal. The Leicester defence left him unmarked as he lurked a few yards outside the area at a corner, and Overmars found him from the place kick with a short ball to feet. The Dutch master took one touch and then almost casually curled the ball into the far top corner.

For a while after that Arsenal were rampant, and on another night a less distracted Wright might have increased their lead. First he went on a run down the left but was muscled out of it by a defender who played the ball back to Keller in goal. The keeper miskicked his clearance straight to Overmars a few yards outside the area. The winger feinted past one challenge before firing a shot straight at Keller which the keeper could only beat out. Wrighty was following up but had to stretch and twist to get his left foot to the rebound and though he succeeded in dragging a shot back beneath Keller's body, it only went into the side netting.

Bergkamp then set Wright up with a sharp chance with a pass into the area from the left byline, but Wrighty snatched at his left foot shot and blazed it over the bar.

For a while Arsenal seemed content to sit back and Leicester enjoyed a period where they had more possession, but struggled to make any real impression on the red and white defence. Arsenal took control of the final few minutes of the half though and Bergkamp almost doubled their lead with another blinding shot from outside the box which whistled inches wide of the far post, following a run by Winterburn down the left.

All but the final few minutes of the second half were again dominated by Arsenal. In the first minute Parlour went on a good run down the right, though characteristically he spoiled it by overhitting his cross. The tone for most of the half was set though, as Arsenal played some lovely attacking football, epitomised by the second goal. Vieira broke up a Leicester attack on the Arsenal right and broke swiftly out of defence. He exchanged passes down the flank with Parlour before playing an early cross into the middle where both Bergkamp and Wright were racing through. Berkgamp's superb first touch took him past a defender and though Keller was out quickly to block, Bergkamp's attempt to lift the ball over him had just enough height and the ball looped lazily off the keeper's body high into the air before dropping into the back of the net.

Arsenal thereafter seemed comfortably in control of the game, and probably should have added to their lead. Bergkamp set up one difficult chance for WWW with a lofted cross from the right to the back post which Wright tried to volley from about 15 yards, but sliced it wide. Then the Dutch master drifted onto a throwin from the left before flicking a clever pass inside to Wright on the edge of the area. Wrighty did well to turn past a defender and fire in a left foot shot from just outside the area which beat Keller but was wide by about a foot.

Parlour also forced the keeper into action with a rasping drive from over 25 yards which Keller pushed at full stretch round the post, and Overmars had a decent half chance cutting in from the left but hitting a rasping drive from the edge of the box straight at Keller.

At the other end Leicester were barely a threat until about 10 minutes from time when Heskey got past Winterburn on the left and chipped over a cross which Guppy appeared odds on to head home at the far post from about 4 yards. Somehow though, Dixon got back and made a brilliant clearing header.

If it was a hint of things to come unfortunately the Arsenal defence didn't take it, and a couple of minutes later Leicester had dragged themselves back into the match. Bouldy sliced a clearance on the left into touch and was thus out of position when the throw in was lofted into the area. The home team still required a large slice of luck to score though, and got it when the ball cleared Heskey's head and Dixon's headed clearance hit him in the back and fell at his feet. With Seaman having uncertainly come for the ball Heskey had a fairly easy job of poking it into the empty net from about 10 yards.

Roared on by the home support Leicester now threw everything at Arsenal. As the match moved into injury time the defence appeared to have held out, and indeed the Gunners should have increased their lead when Anelka raced clear with only Keller to beat. He shot from just outside the area, trying to place the ball inside the far post, but the keeper did well again to get a hand to the ball and a defender cleared.

Then, following another corner won after a Leicester break when Hughes was dispossessed just inside their half, the Foxes grabbed an equaliser, again with an element of luck. The ball was lobbed forward, Walsh I think beat Platt in the air to flick the ball on to Elliot, completely unmarked behind them on the left corner of the area. Dixon slipped attempting to block, and I think it was off Grimandi that Elliot's shot took a wicked deflection to take it just inside the far post.

Well, the ref's bound to blow for time now we thought but no, a minute later agony turned to ecstasy as Bergkamp completed a quite brilliant hattrick. Platt chipped forward a nice pass which picked out Bergkamp in the area just beyond the far post. Marked by Elliot, he cushioned the pass on the outside of his right foot, while it was still in the air flicked it past Elliot with his left, took one more touch to control it as it hit the ground and then stroked it past Keller with a final sublime touch with his right foot.

Pandemonium amongst Gooners ensued, followed by a further two minutes imploring the ref to blow his whistle. And almost inevitably in their last attack Leicester won a corner, Parker sent it over, Walsh beat Vieira in the air, the ball looped to Prior unmarked at the near post, he headed it back to Walsh, now also unmarked at the back post and the Leicester captain headed into an empty net.

Barber eventually blew a few seconds after the restart and was soon surrounded by Arsenal players politely asking why he'd played so much injury time. From where I stood it appeared that Walsh then walked past and was taunting the Arsenal players, and predictably it was Vieira and Wright who reacted.

Ultimately a disappointing result, and while we could claim to have been scalped by the Barber as well as Leicester, it was really some panicked defending and bad luck which cost Arsenal the two points. It was so comfortable for 84 minutes, but once the first Leicester goal went in they threw everything at the Gunners. I think Trev's point about a lack of height at the back is valid, and once Leicester threw all three of their BBBU (big, bad, bald and ugly, or big, bad and bloody ugly in Walsh's case) defenders forward Arsenal were always struggling against the high ball. The 3rd goal particularly was down to bad defending with both Prior and Walsh being left unmarked.

Still, it was an exciting game.

Seaman 7.0 Again had little to do, though the ultra-critical might

blame him for the first goal.

Dixon 7.5 Played pretty well for his first game in 4 months, and

added defensive solidity on the right.

Winterburn 7.0 Also a reasonable game.

Grimandi 7.0 I thought he had a quite a good game overall.

Bould 8.0 Another tremendous display from the old man, the only

real blemish the lunge from behind on Heskey which

earned a yellow card.

Petit 7.0 Played quite well, mainly just in front of the back four.

Vieira 8.5 Another superb display of midfield power and craft.

Parlour 7.0 I thought he was very poor in the 1st half but improved

markedly in the second.

Overmars 7.0 Still improving, a couple of great runs.

Bergkamp 9.5 Simply outstanding. Certainly the best hattrick I've

ever seen.

Wright 6.5 Somewhat distracted and below par I think.

Platt Don't think he did too badly and he did provide the pass

for Bergkamp's 3rd goal.

Hughes Didn't really seem to appreciate the situation and was

partly to blame for the 2nd goal.

Anelka Showed a couple of hints of blistering pace but missed a

good chance to make the game safe at 2-1.

Report by Derek Brownjohn

• 2 weeks later...

PS. Walshy is my all time favourite player, he was everything a legend needs to be.

Immense.

Mine also. Sad that the club don't hold him in such high esteem as Sir Gary - probably due to fact Sir Gary has a higher media profile as well as having played for England etc. There should be the "Walsh Stand" or something...........

He's here...he's there......he's every fookin where.......Stevie Walsh! What a legend and a really nice bloke. Has helped me out many times in the past to raise money for charity. He will be at the Plymouth game for Birch's run. Will be the biggest cheer of the season when he comes out. ;)

Bloody loved Steve Walsh (so did my mum :blush: ) me and Stez were driving down New Walk a few years back and we saw Walshie walking down the street (I think he owned a bar down there or something) we waved at him and he waved back - bloody legend!

Loved it when he played up front as well, the first game he did we arrived in the Carling Stand after the team had been announced and we thought 'why is Walshie playing there?' Bloody love him! :cry:

BUMP!!!!!

Last day for posting your Steve Walsh Legends stories & facts in this thread.

New Legend tomorrow - watch this space :D

• 1 month later...

Ill never forget Walsh and Tony James at the back. Tony James was better then!

Walsh was a bit of a donkey who had massive heart, a perfect fans favourite. He wasnt always rated in the Pleat era, People never seem to remember that.

It was Walsh V's Bull games that made me love him! every red card every elbow cemented his place in my heart a true competitor a proper captain!

He lived near me when i was a kid i walked past him most mornings delivering the morning papers.

Overtime he improved his game. Ill never forget that spell of games when he played upfront scoring every week it was well funny, superb times! And when we beat Derby with the worst side ever to play in a Championship/Div1 play off final!! due to injuries ect. but how good was he!

Steve Walsh is Leicester City he wasnt my favourite player but he is the Number 1 Leicester City Legend bar none.

Walsh was never really rated by Pleat, and it occasionally showed in his performances.

But Brian Little knew how to motivate him, and he responded in style!

Shame that injuries kept him out for most of the 94-95 season.

How different would things have been if he had been able to keep us up that year?

Ill never forget Walsh and Tony James at the back. Tony James was better then!

Walsh was a bit of a donkey who had massive heart, a perfect fans favourite. He wasnt always rated in the Pleat era, People never seem to remember that.

It was Walsh V's Bull games that made me love him! every red card every elbow cemented his place in my heart a true competitor a proper captain!

He lived near me when i was a kid i walked past him most mornings delivering the morning papers.

Overtime he improved his game. Ill never forget that spell of games when he played upfront scoring every week it was well funny, superb times! And when we beat Derby with the worst side ever to play in a Championship/Div1 play off final!! due to injuries ect. but how good was he!

Steve Walsh is Leicester City he wasnt my favourite player but he is the Number 1 Leicester City Legend bar none.

You'd have thought he would've given up his paper round when he signed for Leicester ;)

Walshy was fooked after half an hour of that Play Off final against the sheep - immense performance.

There was only one way that any team with a front three of Walshy, Iwan and Ormondroyd would play. I reckon it was old Wembley's finest day....!

Then again, Palace, Garry Parker spraying the ball around, Martin O'Neill going beserk, Spider Kalac, penalties looming, Sooper Steve...

Anyone fancy Wembley in May 2007?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ll never forget the clashes he used to have with Steve Bull.

Twice a season they used to kicking the s@#t out of each other.

Can remember on one occasion Walshy elbowing him and doing some serious damage.

Ah, they were the days.

walshy is the greatest player we have had in the last 20 years, he was passionate and was a great leader and was a top bloke.

Make that the last 120 years...

His achievements speak for themselves!

Archived