Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Steve Walsh - Legend 1

Just an idea - this is a thread for

Legends of Leicester City Football Club.

• Post your memories of the Legend here!
  • Post your best moments relating to the Legend here!
  • Post anything you want to say about the Legend here!

Leicester City FC 1986-2000

POSITION Central Defender

DATE OF BIRTH Tuesday, 3rd November 1964

PLACE OF BIRTH Preston, Lancashire, England

DEBUT Tuesday, 23rd September 1986 in a 1-1 draw at home to Luton Town (Aged: 21)

CLUB CAREER 352 League apps (+16 as sub), 53 goals

WALSH_Steve_19990321_NF_R.jpg

Source Sporting Heroes

1986-1987 Played 21 Scored 0 goals (Division 1)

1987-1988 Played 32 Scored 7 goals (Division 2)

1988-1989 Played 30 Scored 2 goals (Division 2)

1989-1990 Played 34 Scored 3 goals (Division 2)

1990-1991 Played 35 Scored 3 goals (Division 2)

1991-1992 Played 43 Scored 7 goals (Division 2)

1992-1993 Played 40 Scored 15 goals (Division 1)

1993-1994 Played 10 Scored 4 goals (Division 1)

1994-1995 Played 5 Scored 0 goals (Premiership)

1995-1996 Played 37 Scored 4 goals (Division 1)

1996-1997 Played 22 Scored 2 goals (Premiership)

1997-1998 Played 26 Scored 3 goals (Premiership)

1998-1999 Played 22 Scored 3 goals (Premiership)

1999-2000 Played 11 Scored 0 goals (Premiership)

2000-2001 Played 0 Scored 0 goals (Premiership)

In a day and age where players move around from club to club on an all too regular basis Steve Walsh was a refreshing exception to the rule. He served Leicester City magnificently for fourteen years, becoming a firm favourite with the Filbert Street faithful in that time. Most of Steve's career was spent at the heart of the City defence but he also showed himself to be a real handful as a striker, most notably when he grabbed the two goals that took Leicester into the Premiership with a 2-1 win over Derby County in the 1994 play-off final. With his chances becoming limited due to the form of Matt Elliott and Gerry Taggart in the City defence, Walsh decided the time had come to bring down the curtain on his Foxes career and he moved to First Division Norwich City in September 2000. He is pictured above during the 1-0 defeat against Spurs on 21/3/1999 in the Worthington Cup Final.

Mr Leicester City, simple as that.

I remember one open day Walshy was baracaded against the team bus due to the amount of fans wanting his autograph (including me).

Only just noticed this thread (as a sticky).

Good idear and top thread. :thumbup:

Maybe next month - Mark De Vries?

I remember once, at Filbert Street when were attacking the Kop, Walshy was getting it right left and centre from the away fans in the East Stand. The ball went in to the away crowd and Walshy went to get it to take the throw in. Some eejut in the crown was goading him pretending to throw it at him but not releasing it. When he did throw finally throw it at Walshy, he kicked the ball full whack back into the crowd. I'm sure it hit someone too.

Oh, how we laughed :clap:

He would stroll into my Favourite City XI and probably still will do in 50 years.

Perhaps someone will correct me, but wasn't he lined up to move to Spurs for £1M (with or without Tony James???) when he got a massive ban (8 games)???

Or was this just another urban myth?

I'll never forget the first time Michael Owen played against us at Filbert Street,right on the touchline in front of the supporters club corner,Walshie dumped him and the ball onto the running track.He didn't know what had hit him! The real joy was that we could all see exactly what was coming as soon as Owen got the ball.... Legendary

Curtesy of Kevta's LCFC Fanzine

Steve Walsh

D O B Nov 3rd 1964

walsh1.jpg

When Steve joined the Foxes in 1986 from Wigan Athletic for £100000 no one could have realised that six managers and over a decade later he would be revered and adored by Leicester fans everywhere .

Signed by Bryan Hamilton , early performances showed a rugged , hard tackling defender , not afraid to stand up and be counted . Lapses in concentration were easily forgotten as a ' heart on sleeve ' approach earned favour with the spion kop faithful .

The following season a record eleven match ban was ' earned ' after smashing the jaw of David Geddis , in a game with Shrewsbury . It wasn't the last time Steve saw red but absences through suspension proved what a giant he was becoming in the City rearguard .

After an indifferent period for the Foxes under David Pleat , the appointment of Brian Little gave Steve the chance to really plant himself into Leicester folklore . Run ins with Wolves attacker , Steve Bull , were frequent , both fully committed to their causes . But whilst one ( Bull ) went on to play for England , Steve Walsh had to be content with his role for us . Rumours of a move to Tottenham may have aided his international chances had it materialised .

Steve had an uncanny knack of of scoring from corners , the most exciting being a late equaliser in a three all draw with Arsenal . Bizarrely in the 92 – 93 season Brian Little transformed him into a bustling centre forward , with some success .

A cruciate knee injury in 1993 could have ended Steve' career, but that would have been only half a story.

After playoff disappointment in 92 against Blackburn and 93 versus Swindon , it was a case of third time lucky as we met Derby at Wembley . The talismanic Walsh returned from injury to inspire Leicester to victory against their local rivals . It was a team performance that had Steve Walsh stamped all over it . Grit , determination and no shortage of passion . Leicester were back !walsh3.jpg

After Little left for Aston Villa and the short reign of Mark McGhee ended when the pot of gold appeared to be at Molineuex, a new gaffer was to take Steve' career to new heights . Successive top ten Premier finishes – ruffling plenty of feathers along the way – were eclipsed when the League Cup was lifted in 97 in a replay at Hillsborough. As grown men cried in the stands , it was the moment that finally erased the Wembley tears from earlier playoff defeats .

Steve Walsh was a football hard man . But I can personally vouch for him being a gentle family man after a delayed flight to Majorca left me in his company . A gentleman off the pitch , someone to have a beer with . The testimonial year he was granted was deserved reward for a player so loyal .

When Martin O'Neill left for Celtic the uncompromising Walsh was hastily discarded by the new manager , Peter Taylor . Perhaps he was considered a threat ? We are sure to find out the truth in any book Steve chooses to write .

For me Steve Walsh epitomised everything that is good about Leicester City . A roller coaster existence with a never say die approach . Its what we are good at .

Walsh 5 , quite simply a hero .

Curtesy of Kevta's LCFC Fanzine

Steve Walsh

D O B Nov 3rd 1964

walsh1.jpg

When Steve joined the Foxes in 1986 from Wigan Athletic for £100000 no one could have realised that six managers and over a decade later he would be revered and adored by Leicester fans everywhere .

Signed by Bryan Hamilton , early performances showed a rugged , hard tackling defender , not afraid to stand up and be counted . Lapses in concentration were easily forgotten as a ' heart on sleeve ' approach earned favour with the spion kop faithful .

The following season a record eleven match ban was ' earned ' after smashing the jaw of David Geddis , in a game with Shrewsbury . It wasn't the last time Steve saw red but absences through suspension proved what a giant he was becoming in the City rearguard .

After an indifferent period for the Foxes under David Pleat , the appointment of Brian Little gave Steve the chance to really plant himself into Leicester folklore . Run ins with Wolves attacker , Steve Bull , were frequent , both fully committed to their causes . But whilst one ( Bull ) went on to play for England , Steve Walsh had to be content with his role for us . Rumours of a move to Tottenham may have aided his international chances had it materialised .

Steve had an uncanny knack of of scoring from corners , the most exciting being a late equaliser in a three all draw with Arsenal . Bizarrely in the 92 – 93 season Brian Little transformed him into a bustling centre forward , with some success .

A cruciate knee injury in 1993 could have ended Steve' career, but that would have been only half a story.

After playoff disappointment in 92 against Blackburn and 93 versus Swindon , it was a case of third time lucky as we met Derby at Wembley . The talismanic Walsh returned from injury to inspire Leicester to victory against their local rivals . It was a team performance that had Steve Walsh stamped all over it . Grit , determination and no shortage of passion . Leicester were back !walsh3.jpg

After Little left for Aston Villa and the short reign of Mark McGhee ended when the pot of gold appeared to be at Molineuex, a new gaffer was to take Steve' career to new heights . Successive top ten Premier finishes – ruffling plenty of feathers along the way – were eclipsed when the League Cup was lifted in 97 in a replay at Hillsborough. As grown men cried in the stands , it was the moment that finally erased the Wembley tears from earlier playoff defeats .

Steve Walsh was a football hard man . But I can personally vouch for him being a gentle family man after a delayed flight to Majorca left me in his company . A gentleman off the pitch , someone to have a beer with . The testimonial year he was granted was deserved reward for a player so loyal .

When Martin O'Neill left for Celtic the uncompromising Walsh was hastily discarded by the new manager , Peter Taylor . Perhaps he was considered a threat ? We are sure to find out the truth in any book Steve chooses to write .

For me Steve Walsh epitomised everything that is good about Leicester City . A roller coaster existence with a never say die approach . Its what we are good at .

Walsh 5 , quite simply a hero .

God how i wish i saw him in an England shirt

That goal against Arsenal in the 95th minute is still today the most nuts I have ever gone to a goal being scored. Well.. OK apart from the (Well... but.... that could be.... a winner from Claridge............................. IT IS!!!! STEVEY CLARIDGE HAS WON LEICESTER CITY A PLACE IN THE PREMIERSHIP) yeah... apart from that one...

Walsh is an absolute legend. I met him once at a book signing in Oakham, but I was just so nervous I didnt know what to say!

dot_629.gif

Leicester City Cult Heroes

Link

STEVE WALSH: 79%

The hardest footballer of the eighties or nineties by far. Sent off more times than Julian Dicks, used to send Vinnie Jones home to look for his teddy bear and was an outstanding centre forward when he played up front. Single-handedly won the play-off final against Derby in 1994. Mr Leicester City.

Ben Fletcher

Officially Mr Leicester City. Totally committed centre back who also successfully converted to striker and scored many important goals including a brace vs Derby County in a play-off final. I think he's still the most sent off player in English football.

Paul Stewart

Our captain courageous throughout the nineties. Not necessarily the most talented of players he was a big man equally adept in the centre of defence as up front. You'd be hard pressed to find a more committed and loyal footballer. His crowning glory came in the 1994 First Division play-off final against Derby when he came off the bench as we were 1-0 down to score two and promote us to the Premier League.

Ben Samuels

Mr Leicester City, always gave 100% and loved the club with a passion.

Andie Sutton

The Blue-blooded hard man. If you cut him in half he would have LCFC written through him. The emotion that showed on his face after scoring against Derby in the play-off final summed this great player up.

James Coles

Officially Mr Leicester City. Totally committed centre back who also successfully converted to striker and scored many important goals including a brace vs Derby County in a play-off final. I think he's still the most sent off player in English football.

Paul Stewart

That's correct - he is! :D

Whilst playing in the English Football Leagues, the top red-card earners are:

1= Steve Walsh (13)

1= Roy McDonough (13)

3 Mark Dennis (12)

4 Dennis Wise (11)

:fox: :devil: :fox: :devil: :fox:

Never forget watching the re-run of the Palace v Leicester Play-off final the day after and 2 things stood out.

1) The best football tackle I have ever witnessed. David Hopkin squeeled after Walsh took ball then man and left him in a crumpled heap.

2) Kissing Martin O'Neill after the final whistle went and leaving a blatant slobber mark on O'Neill's face.

Legend.

Archived