Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Change of away day trend

I don't know if anyone has noticed by Leicester have won three of their four away League games un der Rob Kelly compared with one away win up to the time of Levein's departure.

And against Luton, a team where it might have been tempting to try and hang on to a draw, Kelly introduced a winger and a fresh centre-forward and demonstrably tried to win the game by regaining our forward momentum.

Not only did it result in a killer second goal but Fryatt had another decent shot after that and Joey Gudjonsson might have won a penalty in the closing seconds.

How nine points out of 12 away from home helps to ease the pressure. Luton showed that Kelly did adapt and he tried to be responsibly more aggressive than he was against Ipswich.

There is nothing worse than someone not trying to learn from previous mistakes or stubbornly refusing to accept that anything was wrong with a previous appraoch.

He's still not quite adventurous enough for me and still carries some weaknesses in his side but 14 goals from eight League matches is a lot more the sort of return we need to challenge at the right end of the table next season and he does appear to be moving steadily and sensibly in the right direction - in more ways than one.

I

Not only did it result in a killer second goal but Fryatt had another decent shot after that and Joey Gudjonsson might have won a penalty in the closing seconds.

Agree with that, but from my angle Joey was dead lucky not to get booked and hence sent off for that dive in the area in the last minute. Perhaps my angle to the right of the goal wasn't good, but I felt it was straight out of the West End.

Sorry, I know that wasn't the point you were making but reading it reminded me!

I don't know if anyone has noticed by Leicester have won three of their four away League games un der Rob Kelly compared with one away win up to the time of Levein's departure.

And against Luton, a team where it might have been tempting to try and hang on to a draw, Kelly introduced a winger and a fresh centre-forward and demonstrably tried to win the game by regaining our forward momentum.

How nine points out of 12 away from home helps to ease the pressure. Luton showed that Kelly did adapt and he tried to be responsibly more aggressive than he was against Ipswich.

There is nothing worse than someone not trying to learn from previous mistakes or stubbornly refusing to accept that anything was wrong with a previous appraoch.

He's still not quite adventurous enough for me and still carries some weaknesses in his side but 14 goals from eight League matches is a lot more the sort of return we need to challenge at the right end of the table next season and he does appear to be moving steadily and sensibly in the right direction - in more ways than one.

It's a great feeling, I prefer going to away games and I hope the trend continues!!

Kelly has done well, although he has had the 'rub of the green' on occassions and his strike force are scoring, I hope he gets funds etc to build and improve the squad as I can problems when injuries set in!!

Rob Kelly had a great game on Saturday with some great decisions. Having said that (giving with one hand and taking away with the other), they were the obvious substitutions and needed to be made because Luton were very much on top at that point. Still impressed with Welsh and O'Grady when they came on. Both made a big almost instantaneous impact. I only hope that Welsh starts against Millwall on Saturday.

To be honest, I think Kelly has the balance right in terms of being adventurous but I guess that's just different views of the game. We have very little in the midfield at times, particularly when it comes to replacing players for a dfferent style of play, so at the moment, I think you have to give Kelly the benefit of the doubt. At times on Saturday, we were struggling to win the ball back and then keep it, so we couldn't necessarily get the attacks going (which makes the win an even better achievement).

when we win away it always feel like we have achieved something more, dunno why!!

kelly has done good with making changes in the game to improve things, and he showed that again on saturday, we dont really want him to over adventurous though do we, it may cost us games to go that extra bit further!

Rob Kelly had a great game on Saturday with some great decisions. Having said that (giving with one hand and taking away with the other), they were the obvious substitutions and needed to be made because Luton were very much on top at that point. Still impressed with Welsh and O'Grady when they came on. Both made a big almost instantaneous impact. I only hope that Welsh starts against Millwall on Saturday.

To be honest, I think Kelly has the balance right in terms of being adventurous but I guess that's just different views of the game. We have very little in the midfield at times, particularly when it comes to replacing players for a dfferent style of play, so at the moment, I think you have to give Kelly the benefit of the doubt. At times on Saturday, we were struggling to win the ball back and then keep it, so we couldn't necessarily get the attacks going (which makes the win an even better achievement).

That all makes sense.

I have a feeling that Kelly might just be reluctant to change something that is working and he might be right. He used Welsh as a late replacement against Hull and it had the desired effect. Same at Luton.

He just might feel that if the spoilers contain the game then the winger might have greater effect against tiring legs than if he starts the game.

I am more than pleased to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is limited in the personnel he has to make our team effectively more adventurous at this time (my main thought was starting with Welsh but you and I have touched on that).

He still carries weaknesses in the team but no-one to obviously replace the players I'm thinking of.

overall

Levein = 5 wins in 30

Kelly = 5 wins in 8

amazing turnaround really, the away games turnaround is even more remarkable. i think levein went into away games looking to get a point more than going to win, it must be a tactical thing.

We've got Andy Welsh on the wing, one the wing.

Welsh looked very dangerous when he came on, I was really impressed with him. I hope he continues to play like that and definately deserves to start next saturday.

yep defo :thumbup:

:thumbup:

He is still very inexperienced Thrac, but he does seem to realise his errors quite early and correct them accordingly, something Levein failed to do thoughout his whole career at Leicester.

Very well done Rob Kelly. I like to stick up for Levein because he did a lot of good for our club-

He's put together a brilliant young, enthusiastic, ambitious, hard working, passionate, exciting team that i can see us getting promoted to the Premier next season and staying there. Thank you Craig for all the good that you did. Shame about your results on the pitch.

I'll be insulted and abused now, which isn't nice

:thumbup:

He is still very inexperienced Thrac, but he does seem to realise his errors quite early and correct them accordingly, something Levein failed to do thoughout his whole career at Leicester.

Refreshing it is too. It was the thing I disliked most about Levein. He just seemed to refuse to admit he'd got it wrong and would repeat the same error time and again.

That all makes sense.

I have a feeling that Kelly might just be reluctant to change something that is working and he might be right. He used Welsh as a late replacement against Hull and it had the desired effect. Same at Luton.

He just might feel that if the spoilers contain the game then the winger might have greater effect against tiring legs than if he starts the game.

I am more than pleased to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is limited in the personnel he has to make our team effectively more adventurous at this time (my main thought was starting with Welsh but you and I have touched on that).

He still carries weaknesses in the team but no-one to obviously replace the players I'm thinking of.

I think you're right, we'll probably stick with the same team, particularly as we may well need a tighter midfield at the start of the game. I can't help but feel that Millwall will set their stall up for a tough battling game. I imagine Welsh's battling qualities are better than Hughes (can't be much worse), but you're right, he will probably be more effective coming off the bench against tired Millwall legs.

Should be a good game.

Very well done Rob Kelly. I like to stick up for Levein because he did a lot of good for our club-

He's put together a brilliant young, enthusiastic, ambitious, hard working, passionate, exciting team that i can see us getting promoted to the Premier next season and staying there. Thank you Craig for all the good that you did. Shame about your results on the pitch.

I'll be insulted and abused now, which isn't nice

Why would anyone have a go at you for saying that?

Is that some sort of joke?! Whenever i have said in the past that i thought Levein has done good for us i've got a battering of insults from others.

People, for the most part, accept that Levein brought in some good young talent.

At the same time, most of them concentrate mostly on his disasterous results on the pitch.

Levein had his moments - the FA cup run in the last two seasons, and some of his signings. Sadly, the cons far outweigh the pros of Levein's reign. So when you use the broad statement "Levein has done good" people don't take it too well, because on balance his reign was very poor.

Is that some sort of joke?! Whenever i have said in the past that i thought Levein has done good for us i've got a battering of insults from others.

I don't think anybody on here thinks that Levein didn't do good things for the club, he reduced the wage bill, he reduced the average age of the squad (by some margin) and he bought in some exciting prospects. Levein was a poor leader, he did not know how too inspire his players and as stated already in this thread, his refusal to admit he had made a mistake made him look more incompetant than if he corrected it. His overall legacy may prove to be one we can all benifit from.

I said on this site a while ago that Levein should have had a lot more help for matchdays, he would have done much better. I said that i think Levein could be a success in English football but he needs to learn things. What kind of reactions did i get do you think? Anyway, if i go on about this much longer i'll have the idiots of this site snooping around.

He's still not quite adventurous enough for me
Unfortunately, we are not in a position where he could be adventurous. He's gambling with the club's future, and so far I think he's pretty much got it spot on, given the circumstances.

I said on this site a while ago that Levein should have had a lot more help for matchdays, he would have done much better. I said that i think Levein could be a success in English football but he needs to learn things. What kind of reactions did i get do you think? Anyway, if i go on about this much longer i'll have the idiots of this site snooping around.

You've been going on about how wonderful he is long enough :yawn:

Besides, more help on matchdays? He was the manager - he makes his own decisions. He wouldn't have appreciated being told what to do and when to do it by some 'helper'. Also, he had his coaching staff on the sidelines if needed. You're making excuses for him, that's all I'll say about it.

You've been going on about how wonderful he is long enough :yawn:

Besides, more help on matchdays? He was the manager - he makes his own decisions. He wouldn't have appreciated being told what to do and when to do it by some 'helper'. Also, he had his coaching staff on the sidelines if needed. You're making excuses for him, that's all I'll say about it.

I knew this would happen. I have my opinion! You have your's! Sod off!

I knew this would happen. I have my opinion! You have your's! Sod off!

If you can't handle having people disagree with you then I'd recommend that you don't post on a forum.

Debate is encouraged. I happen to agree with Anish in this case and think... in fact, that the majority of what you post is tosh.

No doubt other people have the same view on my postings. Difference being, I don't challenge people to disagree with me and then throw my toys out my pram when they do.

Also, if you're going to kick up a fuss... please try to make it interesting.

Unfortunately, we are not in a position where he could be adventurous. He's gambling with the club's future, and so far I think he's pretty much got it spot on, given the circumstances.

I think he's done well too, so well I've said he should be assured of a long term contract now.

But 10 points clear, 11 if you count the goals difference! That is the equavalent of three wins and two draws with eight matches to go.

How much of a safety margin do you need?

There are so many fans on City forums who somehow equate adventure/attack with defeat.

Yet so many great teams of the past were built on the principles of disciplined but sustained attack and the suggestion that such an approach now would be gambling with the club's future can surely only reflect a deeply pessimistic nature.

Don't forget it is vital we attract another 5,000 fans from somewhere and that won't come from having a faint heart. We have to start attracting them now.

I don't believe this team of Kelly's is going to lose eight games on the bounce (there are too many good reasons for our improved results) but the team still has important weaknesses. Those weaknesses have already cost us matches under Levein and could have cost us more during Kelly's wonderful run.

It was only being overly cautious and forever fearful of the opposition that got us in such a mess to begin with.

Kelly has succeeded in combatting that attitude but should not stop seeking further improvement just because he's afraid he'll run out of luck. If a change represents a perceived improvement why have doubts?.

The real party is at the top of the table - mixing it with the 80/100 goals a season Readings of this world. We're 30 goals short of that remember.

Like I say. Caution and fear got us in the proverbial brown stuff to begin with. Let's not go down that road again. Let's have the courage to aim for the front of the grid and be led by that most famous of battle cries "Who Dares Wins".

If you think about it Kelly has significantly changed five things in our side and four of those things the fans had been pleading to change for months. What was needed wasn't complex it was obvious. But what Kelly has done particularly well is to make those changes and to affect an improvement in every case while also lifting team spirit and therefore the players concentration an consistency.

Attack/adventure doesn't bring defeat. Bad players, bad performances and bad tactics - or a combination of all those things - bring defeat.

Our team now has fewer bad players, far fewer bad performances and much superior tactics. Why would that suddenly change?

Come this morning Kelly would allow no resting on laurels. It is not in his nature. The focus will and should be on improving the team for Millwall.

We've scored seven goals in three of our last four away games and those goals earned us nine points when we might have expected two.

Under Levein we scored once in our last four away games and lost the lot.

That's why I believe in attack. Modest attacking has been our salvation since Kelly arrived but we still don't believe in it quite enough.

That is not to suggest major changes, not for a minute. Kelly has moved forward a small step at a time and that's fine. But the card players word "stick" doesn't exist in football. The minute you stand still someone thinks one step ahead and you get beaten.

Each week you have to improve, move a little further forward. Remember what we are really aiming to achieve. Not survival now, surely. But a team to be proud of and a team to fill our stadium again. A team that is full of goals...and not just from our strikers.

How much of a safety margin do you need?

There are so many fans on City forums who somehow equate adventure/attack with defeat.

We've come a long way in a short space of time, and that has to be applauded. However, until we're mathematically safe, I'm not counting any chickens.

In my view, attack is the best form of defence - it's in my nature! However, I don't think we're ready for all out attack yet. We're too vulnerable at the back, and our midfield is decidedly lightweight. Yes, things are improving, but let's get some stability first. You need solid foundations, remember, if you don't want your house falling down around you. :thumbup:

Archived