Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

Dirk_Gently_UK_front_cover.jpg

Seems I've read all the hobb books apart from the new unfinished series. Loved most of them except the soldier son trilogy which I found slow and boring.

So people I'm looking for a new fantasy series to start. Suggestions?

Read it years ago after finishing HHGTTG.

Loved the books.

i listened to it, from a radio play (i think) harry enfield played dirk and the woman, off peep show and rev, played the secretary i loved it. there wasn't enough electronic monks in the recent steve mangan thing

hey, leece, i thought about you the other day, when i was reading 'the veteran' a frederick forsyth short story. you might enjoy it, like i enjoy reading RHS reference books.

Are you sure it wasn't whilst watching Silk? I will rock the wig and gown look.

All of them? There's a lot of them. I suppose you'll have read all the Forgotten Realms series as well then?

ahhh Drizzt.

He was a hero wasn't he?

ahhh Drizzt.

He was a hero wasn't he?

I liked the one where they brought Lord Soth over from Dragonlance as a follow up to Kitiara dying in The Test of the Twins. I think it was called Knight of the Black Rose. Can't remember, I read it back in 95. One day i'll get round to buying them all

Started to read True History of Ned Kelly again. Peter Carey. Written in the first person as a novel. Don't know if it's true but it is written from a collection of diaries found after his capture and sold to an Australian museum. It is written as a novel based on fact. Got into the book more than the last time so may finish it. Not a big lover of 1st person stories. The way the story is developing you can see why he turned outlaw.

Bought a Jeffery Archer book today. (groan) Cat O Nine Tails. Illustrated by cartoonist Searlle. It is a collection of short stories he put together whilst inside nick based on fellow inmates stories. Thought they might be amusing.

In his defense despite being a Tory cheat and ex con he must have some writing ability because the readership that he gained through his name may not have tolerated him if his writing was total crap.. He has had one or two best sellers. One can be put down to infamy but two spreads doubt on that reason for selling.

Well that is my excuse.

Good grief - we've got people admitting to reading fantasy fiction here! :o

Next I'll be telling people about my library of Star Wars novels, The Saga of the Exiles, Riftwar Saga and Mordant's Need.

So help me I will.

Mordant's need - Stephen Donaldson.

For a long while Donaldson was my favourite author. Covenant with the bloodguard and the Giants was "unbelievably" good. Vagel and his minions were fantastic in Mordant's need and the GAP series ( more Sci-Fi) was a wonderful character series - with the depth of character found in the early game of thrones books.

Feist's Riftwar saga I read back in the early 80's. fantastic.

Saga of the exiles - I may have read one book - julian something isn't it?.

Trav have you read any of the others I listed earlier?

I'm looking for my next series.

I've actually started the Jim Butcher as it's just a light read - a wizard private eye but planning my next new universe.

Have you read the malazan series. I think they class it as military fantasy but an incredibly good read.

I'm reading book 2 of the Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz.

I've read them before but long enough ago to have forgotten what happens. They are not his most carefully crafted books but they have compelling characters and are damn good entertainment!

We're all Leicester fans so we all like a good bit of fantasy. City will win the Champions League in 3 years time lol

Pessimist.

Read the first story from Cat O Nine Tails a collection of short stories by Jeffrey Archer. Not too bad. Based on fact from what he was told when inside nick. About a couple who are law-abiding been together over 20 years built a business of first fish and chip shop then a post office. Took a big loan for PO but HO lied about the e future plans which meant it would take rest of their lives to pay off loan. So they robbed it got false passports and were on the way to Portugal when they turned back to get paperwork for pet dog. Relialized it was too late. went home to return money. cops were waiting. They only took what they thought twas their original investment. Left rest in safe.

Mordant's need - Stephen Donaldson.

For a long while Donaldson was my favourite author. Covenant with the bloodguard and the Giants was "unbelievably" good. Vagel and his minions were fantastic in Mordant's need and the GAP series ( more Sci-Fi) was a wonderful character series - with the depth of character found in the early game of thrones books.

Feist's Riftwar saga I read back in the early 80's. fantastic.

Saga of the exiles - I may have read one book - julian something isn't it?.

Trav have you read any of the others I listed earlier?

I'm looking for my next series.

I've actually started the Jim Butcher as it's just a light read - a wizard private eye but planning my next new universe.

Have you read the malazan series. I think they class it as military fantasy but an incredibly good read.

Try reading The Saga of the Exiles again. The first time round I put it away after reading about 100 pages. It is a slowburner, but once it gets going... WOW!

I like the allusion that the Tanu are in fact where ourr ancient mythology comes from and the fact that the author doesn't feel the need to spell it out for you, she lets you work it out for yourself - to the point that I guess some people who read it won't ever know this.

Nearly finished this... interesting man and not at all how i imagined, classically trained musician, began his working life helping kids with special needs. All in all, seems a reasonable and intelligent man... not to mention gets his end away with all sorts of tasty friends. Good read.

51bLbEK8LKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Edited by ozleicester

Having said that I didn't think I'd like one, I've found taking the Kindle to read by the pool is so much easier than a proper book. No more losing my page, etc. :)

Rather enjoying Grishams - The Litigators as a trashy relaxed read.........

Just bought Dennis Lehane's first novel 'A Drink Before The War' too.......

Just holiday books to offset the mind for a bit.