Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

Just finished this book

Bad Laws by Philip Johnston

badlaws.jpg

He highlights the volume of legislation and government pettiness, intrusiveness and dangerous incompetence that we the public have had to endure for too long .

It is a bit of a lefty bashing book ( although the author denies it ) but it’s not without merit and well worth a read

Game of Thrones series. Onto the 2nd book now, fvck waiting around 'til Spring for the 2nd series on telly.

Currently onto book 3 part 2.

It's just gets sooo good...

But I'll have to wait until 2014 to see what I'm reading now... ridiculous!

But be careful:

Game of Thrones is 'fantasy gateway drug'

04-11-11

THE immensely popular A Game of Thrones books are leading thousands into the desperate squalor of fantasy addiction, it has been claimed.

George R.R. Martin's epic novels, which have become the default read among ordinary-looking UK commuters, and the associated HBO TV series provide a seemingly innocent introduction to 'fantasy culture'.

However there is increasing concern that the hit saga is leading them to experiment with even thicker and more outlandish fantasy paperbacks, and in extreme cases to start pushing tiny metal monsters around a table with shy ponytailed men.

Professor Henry Brubaker, of the Institute for Studies, said: “People who read A Game of Thrones often tell themselves it's a one-off, that they won't read any more embossed-covered 1000-page books with dragons in except Lord of the Rings which doesn't count.

“But after you've consumed one fantasy epic, it can be hard to stop. We've seen people with decent jobs and normal healthy relationships moving on to Dragonriders of Pern novels or the Wheel of Time sequence.

“From there it's a short, slippery slope towards Warhammer 40,000 and the complete social exclusion that comes with knowing what a 'chaotic goblin' is.”

Teacher Nikki Ellis said: “My husband Jeff was a loving, well-adjusted man when he first picked up A Game of Thrones (A Song of Fire and Ice Book One).

“Clearly with a title like that I was concerned, but he assured me it was just 'magic realism' like Angela Carter.

“Six months later, he's made his own suit of armour and stands in front of the bathroom door saying 'You shall not pass, I am Krell the Magemancer'. If you try to get past he hits you with a rubber sword, shouting 'minus four strength points'.

“I hate to say this, but it'd be better if he were dead.”

Architect Tom Logan said: “I don't consider myself a fantasy fan, preferring more literary novels about ageing academics taking stock of their lives. However, unlike Alan Hollinghurst's books, A Game of Thrones has lots of beheadings, ghost knights and wolves the sizes of ponies.

“At a recent aspirational dinner party I locked myself in the toilet and read a few pages. I couldn't help myself, I just had to see how the manipulative dwarf Tyrion Lannister's evil schemes unfolded.

“But dear god, the shame was so intense. I fear I am entering a dark and unfashionable place from which there is no return.”

Edited by Phube

Currently onto book 3 part 2.

It's just gets sooo good...

But I'll have to wait until 2014 to see what I'm reading now... ridiculous!

They're so creative and so well written they're just effortless to read. Would definitely recommend to anyone whether they've seen the tv rendition or not.

518rmVKDkdL.jpg

His best in a while.

Funny you should say that. My copy is at the side of my chair right now. I enjoyed it too. Very realistic portral of football fans.

Watched Going Postal on Filmflex about a week ago. I have all his books except his latest Snatch. Shall have to put that on my xmas wish list cuz I cant afford it atm.. According to TP Facebook page its a top seller already.

Walkers wench "A book called Below Stairs...memoirs of a 1920's kitchen maid,,,,,good read x "

You would possibly like 'The road to Nab End' by William Woodruff.

It tells of the author's childhood in Blackburn in the early part of last century. Scores 5 stars with Amazon reviewers and as one stated, he thought it was fiction, something from Dickens as the people were so poverty stricken.

We are used to the morning rush hour. Imagine as in the book where the clonking of thousands of wooden clogs woke the children as the mill workers were summoned by the factory horns. Love the descriptions of the dreaded privy, must have stunk. Freezing winters in a damp tiny cottage. Ack! just going to turn up the heating... stuff the bill.

Edited by shass

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to finishing Child 44 after a recommendation on here and it's a stunning read 9/10.

Can't wait for the film now.

Just added that to my amazon wish list.

Just about to start this

heaven.jpg

Frank Skinner recommended it on the book club show on sky arts, thought i'd give it a whirl

Edited by welck12