Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

thewhite_guardx7rYId.jpg

Just finished this. Very good read. It's by Bulgakov who wrote The Master and Margarita, one of my favourites, and it's his first book.

Nearly finished this and it's fantastic so far. Much better than TN6.

13001274.jpg

thewhite_guardx7rYId.jpg

Just finished this. Very good read. It's by Bulgakov who wrote The Master and Margarita, one of my favourites, and it's his first book.

Nearly finished this and it's fantastic so far. Much better than TN6.

13001274.jpg

When did that come out!!!

I was just thinking I need an Amazon splurge, this confirms it.

I know what you mean about TN6 (although isn't technically number 7?) the written Thursday wasn't as good as the real Thursday, but then maybe that was the point. The ending was a bit disappointing as well, but it still had me chuckling all the way through.

Edited by Captain Shrapnel

Nearly finished this... interesting man and not at all how i imagined, classically trained musician, began his working life helping kids with special needs. All in all, seems a reasonable and intelligent man... not to mention gets his end away with all sorts of tasty friends. Good read.

51bLbEK8LKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Nothing like ensuring a balanced reading list... just starting this...

The_Long_Walk_to_Freedom_by_Nelson_Mandela_a.jpg

It's the launch of We Are South Highfields tonight. It is a project funded by Near Neighbours scheme. The launch is at St Peters Community Centre starting at 6.30 pm.

Oh! nearly forgot I am featured in it with three interview quotes about my experience in S Highfields and two of my poems have been selected to appear in it. It should be available in the shops soon. A record and accounts of people living among the community of South Highfields ranging to the community spirit of the blitz to the diversity of people living in the area.

Time table

6.30 Receive or buy the book plus light refreshments

7.00 Launch of the book and impact of project and thanks

7.30 stories from 4 contributors and break dancing

8.00 End

Or stay in and watch Eastenders.

532245_10150916530867003_291462311_n.jpg

Edited by Nightguard

• 1 month later...
Guest MattP

Garden Hopping by Jonathan Rendall.

Really good, a true story about the journey of tracking down your mother who put you up for adoption. Emotional and stirring and would recommend it to anyone.

Edited by MattP

I can't find my E-Reader. I have a load of books download on my laptop though. Would like a Kindle but can't afford one. Looked at the ones in W H Smiths the other day. Special price around £80.. So much better than mine.

No idea where mine is. had a look around the flat so don't know if I have left it somewhere..

I was told that book about Highfields is in Waterstones now.

I'm kinda half reading about 5 books at the moment, it is pissing me off, I just can't get into any of them, One is a Neil Gaiman book of short stories, one is 100 years of solitude, another 2 are books in Spanish, and then last night I decided instead of reading any of them I will start reading A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon, which failed to grab me instantly.

Does anyone else like Christopher Brookmeyer? Just finished one of his for before bed reading Pandaemonium, I do enjoy his books, not very literary, but always funny well paced and draw you in.

Does anyone else like Christopher Brookmeyer? Just finished one of his for before bed reading Pandaemonium, I do enjoy his books, not very literary, but always funny well paced and draw you in.

Went through a phase where I read quite a few. Need to be in the mood but when I am they're brilliant - dark, satirical, funny. Good combination. Ones that stick out are Be My Enemy, A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away and One Fine Day In The Middle Of The Night.

Currently putting part 3 of A Song Of Ice And Fire on hold while I read Shogun by James Clavell - brilliant story set in Japan in the 17th Century, learning all sorts of things about the Spanish, Portuguese, English and Dutch voyages of discovery as well as getting an insight into traditional Japanese culture, much of which after going there a month ago or so is still present today. Highly recommended.

Having said that I didn't think I'd like one, I've found taking the Kindle to read by the pool is so much easier than a proper book. No more losing my page, etc. :)

I do that, but I'm always paranoid that I'm somehow going to drop in the pool. Then again, I have killed two kindles already.

I found myself thinking about The Da Vinci Code and what a naff book it was.

Why did anyone like it? The puzzles were ridiculous (not to mention obvious - yet the supposed "experts" in the novel take ages to work them out.) and Dan Browns characters are colourless and one dimentional. I'll not even start on the historical inaccuracies, supposed rligious inaccuracies and inaccurate descriptions of places and artwork in a book that has a preface saying that everything in it is FACT. At one point he confuses his mpg/kpg up and makes claims about Sophies car that would make it capable of travelling halfway round the world on a tank of petrol.

Foolishly, I also tried to read Deception Point, but got no further than the 2nd chapter. I've read better stuff when I was at school, from my classmates.

I possibly mentioned this before in this thread but I've just finished re-reading it.

Fever Pitch. Best football book I've ever read. Anyone with a passion for the game should read it at least once. Funny, relatable, honest.

I possibly mentioned this before in this thread but I've just finished re-reading it.

Fever Pitch. Best football book I've ever read. Anyone with a passion for the game should read it at least once. Funny, relatable, honest.

If you could buy a copy that substituted the word Arsenal and any references to Highbury (think it still was when this was written) or Arsenal players to Leicester and Filbert Street and City Players, it would be the best book ever!

If you could buy a copy that substituted the word Arsenal and any references to Highbury (think it still was when this was written) or Arsenal players to Leicester and Filbert Street and City Players, it would be the best book ever!

I kind of think the point is to do that yourself. It just doesn't come across as a book about Arsenal when I read it. I couldn't tell you any new info i'd learned about Arsenal's history. Each anecdote just reminds me of something comparable with Leicester. Games, signings, managers, finances, grounds, you name it.

I kind of think the point is to do that yourself. It just doesn't come across as a book about Arsenal when I read it. I couldn't tell you any new info i'd learned about Arsenal's history. Each anecdote just reminds me of something comparable with Leicester. Games, signings, managers, finances, grounds, you name it.

I take your point, but it would still be better if you could change all the references. :)

Oh, and instead of Fever Pitch you'd have to call it PAAASHUUN!

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

Got about 30 pages of 'Moving Pictures' by Pratchett to go. I've read it before but totally forgot what happens. Great book.

Gaspode and Laddie the dogs are flippin hilarious. Plus the wizards. Pratchett is an awesome author and most of his books are well worth the money.

Just read a short story by Stephen King (written as Richard Bachman) called 'The Long Walk'. Apparently it was his first 'novel', written when he was at uni. Very disturbing but bloody brilliant I thought.

I'm about half way through that at the moment and starting to get really bored by it. Is it worth sticking with it to the end?

Got about 30 pages of 'Moving Pictures' by Pratchett to go. I've read it before but totally forgot what happens. Great book.

Gaspode and Laddie the dogs are flippin hilarious. Plus the wizards. Pratchett is an awesome author and most of his books are well worth the money.

I think it's probably my favourite Discworld novel. Love Gaspode.