Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Rooney's '£700,000 gambling debts'

Rooney's '£700,000 gambling debts'

England boss Sven Goran Eriksson will talk to star striker Wayne Rooney over allegations that he has racked up £700,000 of gambling debts, the FA has said.

Rooney, who earns an estimated £50,000 a week on the pitch and millions more a year from sponsorship deals, is one of a number of England players said to be involved in betting on sports other than their own, according to the Sunday Mirror.

It is not the first time England players have been linked to the pursuit of gambling.

Manchester United coach Sir Alex Ferguson - who owns his own racehorse - and former England boss Kevin Keegan have reputations for enjoying a bit of a flutter.

Michael Owen, who owns four racehorses, is well known for his love of gambling and in 2003 he admitted to being an "occasional" gambler who had run up £30,000-£40,000 losses from his bets.

At the time he said: "This publicity will not stop my love for horses. They are my main hobby outside of football."

He went on: "I fully accept that high-profile sports people like me are a role model for youngsters and I would never encourage anyone to gamble."

A spokesman for Rooney, 20, refused to discuss the newspaper's claims saying: "We have got absolutely no comment to make at all."

The Football Association said although Eriksson would not launch an inquiry into the claims he would speak to the players allegedly involved to establish exactly what the situation is.

The players are due to take up their World Cup bid in Germany in less than two months' time.

All Wayne Rooney has to do to get back in the black is just sit tight for a little while and just keep collecting the ridiculous amounts of money he usually does. He'll be debt-free in no time.

Oh my god, just let him get on playing football, what he does in his own time is up to him.

Not if this is true.

If gambling is the issue, there's always a chance that a player could place a bet on a game in his league after getting information that one or more players can or will "throw" a game. Hell, there's a chance that he himself could try to miss a few chances or even help throw a match to win a bet.

...and if his debt is so bad, could you rule out the possibility of one of his creditors telling him that he'd clear a portion or perhaps the whole of his debt if he threw a match? If the pressures of debt are getting to him, it could be a tempting offer.

(Mind you, it certainly didn't look like anything of the sort was going on today with Rooney ;))

That's why it's important that Sven and the PFA keep tabs on what's going on... though yeah, it could be another stupid English tabloid witch hunt/sabotage campaign.

Not if this is true.

If gambling is the issue, there's always a chance that a player could place a bet on a game in his league after getting information that one or more players can or will "throw" a game. Hell, there's a chance that he himself could try to miss a few chances or even help throw a match to win a bet.

...and if his debt is so bad, could you rule out the possibility of one of his creditors telling him that he'd clear a portion or perhaps the whole of his debt if he threw a match? If the pressures of debt are getting to him, it could be a tempting offer.

(Mind you, it certainly didn't look like anything of the sort was going on today with Rooney ;))

That's why it's important that Sven and the PFA keep tabs on what's going on... though yeah, it could be another stupid English tabloid witch hunt/sabotage campaign.

There's some very good points there JoBeck, but Whose to say this is true? and if it is, it really isn't anyone else's business, but himself and his immediate family, Sir Alex Ferguson, Sven Goran-Erikkson and his agent.

He's probably blown it all on scratchies, the big chav. :rolleyes: Everyday after training, he'll go down the newsagents for a couple of Freddo's, a Panda Pops and a grand's worth of cards.

On a serious note, someone needs to have a word if it's true. Fergie would be the obvious choice, being a racing man himself.

Now he's supposed to have fallen out with Owen. Will the tabloids fock off and leave the England team alone :mad::mad:

Amazing how they come up with these stories just before a major tournament, regardless if they are true or not.

Now he's supposed to have fallen out with Owen. Will the tabloids fock off and leave the England team alone :mad::mad:

Amazing how they come up with these stories just before a major tournament, regardless if they are true or not.

Everybody should just boycott the mirror for attempting to sabotage our world cup.

The fecking media are always doing this before tournements then they can have someone to slate when we fock up. They've pissed off Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole already, I wonder whos next :rolleyes:

The fecking media are always doing this before tournements then they can have someone to slate when we fock up. They've pissed off Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole already, I wonder whos next :rolleyes:

Next will be the new England manager, who ever that will be.

:englandsmile4wf:

Yeah well if you take a look who actually owns these news papers and their nationality its not so suprising FOOKING C U N T S :@:@:mad::@:protest::protest::mad:

Everybody should just boycott the mirror for attempting to sabotage our world cup.

I buy The Sun everyday, but always have hated The Mirror, Don't know what it is about the paper but I really dislike The Mirror.

I buy The Sun everyday, but always have hated The Mirror, Don't know what it is about the paper but I really dislike The Mirror.

The Sun. . . . . . . . . . . Sister paper News of the World . . . . . . . . . . Sven And the Arab :rolleyes::rolleyes::whistle::whistle:

Oooh no what a huge amount of money. Typical Tabloid toss. If we estimate (conservatively) that Rooney earn £50k a week, this is the equivalent of 14 weeks salary. This would equate to someone who earns £20k a year owing £5,385. Not exactly a looming disaster is it?

Oooh no what a huge amount of money. Typical Tabloid toss. If we estimate (conservatively) that Rooney earn £50k a week, this is the equivalent of 14 weeks salary. This would equate to someone who earns £20k a year owing £5,385. Not exactly a looming disaster is it?

:D I bet he earnt that doing that advert recently :whistle:

The Sun. . . . . . . . . . . Sister paper News of the World . . . . . . . . . . Sven And the Arab :rolleyes::rolleyes::whistle::whistle:

Oh well :rolleyes:

Faie enough the point made was to boycott the papers because of all the scandals they throw up, however i'm not a massive fan of Sven anyway.

Also, The Sun supported LCFC due La Manga if I remember rightly...The Mirror and the bitch Carole Malone who I e-mailed several times about slagging off LCFC, I e-mailed Carole Malone when the LCFC players we're proved innocent, she ignored me, I e-mailed her again asking for a public applogy, she ignored me and so on..until she obviously got pissed off and then threaten me she would get police involed due to harrasment or something like that! Feckin' Bitch! :mad:

Archived