Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hairy

Provisional Squad Named

Glad to see Downing and Lennon included. :thumbup:

Not so glad to see Hargreaves and Walcott in. :angry:

Walcott hasn't had a first team game in 3 months. How can he be preferred to Shaun Wright-Phillips? :ermm:

Walcott is a good choice I think!

Also get rid of Hargreaves and put Reo-Coker in the squad.

Get rid of Andy Johnson and replace with Jason Roberts

Remove Defoe and put Darren Bent in there!

Keep Walcott! Rooney shouldn't go!

Matty Fryatt on the stand by.....

Glad to see Downing and Lennon included. :thumbup:

Not so glad to see Hargreaves and Walcott in. :angry:

Walcott hasn't had a first team game in 3 months. How can he be preferred to Shaun Wright-Phillips? :ermm:

I am shocked at Walcott being in - its not a gamble its a disgrace.

Johnson on the reserve list instead of Bent (WHAT). It seems to me that Sven has not selected this squad, i could point to a reason that Walcott is in, and its nothing to do with the Boss!

Walcott is a good choice I think!

Also get rid of Hargreaves and put Reo-Coker in the squad.

Get rid of Andy Johnson and replace with Jason Roberts

Jason Roberts is from Grenada I think. Definitely not qualified for England. :(

Stop bloody moaning about Walcott!

We don't really have any other options, the kid as great ability give him a chance!

Everyone is making out Darren Bent & Defoe are world class strikers, well their not!

Walcott will prove everyone wrong if give then chance!

We don't really have any other options, the kid as great ability give him a chance!

Everyone is making out Darren Bent & Defoe are world class strikers, well their not!

Lets hope he does :unsure:

I don't believe it! :mad:

That looks like a squad that should be picked for an experimental friendly that's taking place about a year before the actual tournament - there's just so much inexperience/lack of international matches in 05/06 amongst the 'fringe' players.

International appearances 2005/2006;

Peter Crouch - 2 friendlies (both as sub), 2 WCQ (1 goal)

Theo Walcott - Not even a Premiership game!

Michael Carrick - 1 friendly

Jermaine Jenas - 2 friendlies, 1 WCQ (all as a sub)

Stewart Downing - Zilch!

Owen Hargreaves - 1 friendly, 2 WCQ (all as sub)

Scott Carson - not even listed as a member of Liverpool's squad on www.sky.com!

Luke Young - 1 friendly, 4 WCQ

Nigel Reo-Coker - Diddley squat!

Andy Johnson - Big fat zero!

Jermain Defoe - 1 friendly, 2 WCQ (both as sub)

Wayne Bridge - 2 friendlies

Not much depth in appearances let alone goals!

Assuming Rooney and Owen don't make it, we're left with Crouch, Walcott, Defoe and Johnson as our squad strikers. Hang on a minute while I count the number of international goals they've scored between them on one finger :mad:

Bet Brazil and the rest are pooing themselves...with laughter!

Why will he prove everyone wrong - have you been watching the reserve games, a good Arsenal supporter mate of mine (season ticket holder) says they signed him and did not expect him to be first team regular for about the next two years. Aparently he has done nothing to change that view, so how can he be considered an England player - yet!!!

Bent and Defoe are not world class, but have scored goals in one of the top leagues in the world - both have (limited) England experience and both have been playing regular (Defoe not as much as liked).

He would have never been even considered if not at Arsenal, he would have been signed this summer if they did not panic that Chelsea were after him - thats how ready for the premiership he is, never mind internationals!

What a joke :mad:

Im sorry this has made me really angry there are no postives to this squad whats so ever

WHY have we picked EIGHT midfield players and only four strikers. I can only think he intends to use Joe Cole as a Striker at some point to explain that lunacy. WHY are we taking JOE COLE AARON LENNON AND STUART DOWNING!!!!! I think Sven has thought to himself " Well errr the left err Side err Has......beenaproblem for err so long.... so to make err up for thes we take 3 left sided players to the world cup"

Sorry whole squad is a joke

Bent and Defoe are not good enough for us to win the World Cup. It's harsh to leave them out, but I think we needed a match winner not a goal poacher.

At first I was shocked when I noticed Walcott named in the squad, but I can understand it now. It looks like we've lost our match winner in Rooney, for at least the Group stages. So now we've an alternative other than sticking Crouch up there and lumping balls into the oppositions box. It'll be interesting to see how he performs in the two buildup games.

We've picked 8 midfielders because we're not going to play 2 up front if Owen and Rooney are out, so either Gerrard, Cole or Lampard could play just behind the striker?

I agree, I think we've still got a chance. Let's not forget we've got players all over the pitch who can score goals. The centre forward players don't need to be prolific but just need to be able to link up play and utilise the team’s strenght's.

His squad has suprised me, and I do think there should be another striker in there, but i reckon he is taking a massive gamble that WILL pay off. I just have a feeling. It looks as though the team will be based around an all dominant midfield, with not too much emphais to begin with on strikers. This could work.

England coach Sven Goran Eriksson has named a preliminary 23-man squad with five players on stand-by ahead of this summer's World Cup finals in Germany.

The Swede has selected Middlesbrough's Stewart Downing, Tottenham youngster Aaron Lennon and untried rookie Theo Walcott of Arsenal.

Walcott's inclusion will rock the football world as he has yet to even make one Premiership appearance since joining The Gunners from Championship side Southampton.

Lennon's fine end-of-season form has earned him inclusion in the provisional squad at the expense of Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips, who is not even on the stand-by list.

Downing will add the balance to the left-hand side, but it is Walcott's inclusion as one of the four strikers which has created the most ripples.

Jermain Defoe, a regular in the squad over the past two seasons, is only on stand-by, while Charlton Athletic's Darren Bent has been overlooked.

Eriksson has opted not to gamble on the fitness of Ledley King, who has recently suffered a foot injury, while Manchester United defender Wes Brown is also absent.

The England coach has picked five players to be on stand-by - Liverpool's rookie keeper Scott Carson, Charlton full back Luke Young, West Ham midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker, Defoe and Crystal Palace striker Andy Johnson.

England squad:

Paul Robinson (Tottenham), David James (Manchester City), Robert Green (Norwich); Gary Neville (Manchester United), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), John Terry (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Arsenal), Sol Campbell (Arsenal), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Wayne Bridge (Chelsea); David Beckham (Real Madrid), Michael Carrick (Tottenham), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham); Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Michael Owen (Newcastle), Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Stand-by: Scott Carson (Liverpool), Luke Young (Charlton), Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace).

wtf is wallcott who hasnt even played for arsenal doing in there, defoe left out why? and supprise supprise hargreaves is in, roll on august when McLaren drops the twat

Why have the past couple of England Managers been obsessed with Owen Hargreaves - he's shite! Its only provisional at this stage but even so........

sven is the only england manager to have played hargreaves

Bent and Defoe are not good enough for us to win the World Cup. It's harsh to leave them out, but I think we needed a match winner not a goal poacher.

At first I was shocked when I noticed Walcott named in the squad, but I can understand it now. It looks like we've lost our match winner in Rooney, for at least the Group stages. So now we've an alternative other than sticking Crouch up there and lumping balls into the oppositions box. It'll be interesting to see how he performs in the two buildup games.

We've picked 8 midfielders because we're not going to play 2 up front if Owen and Rooney are out, so either Gerrard, Cole or Lampard could play just behind the striker?

In simple terms

Walcott vs Defoe (and i could not be bothered to look stats up)

Pace - Walcott (although Defoe is not slow by any means)

Link play - Probabilly been Defoes most improved area this season with Keane when he got a chance. Walcott at southampton ran into 'dead ends' more often than not. (Southampton supporters view)

Goals - Walcott 0 in prem, 0 in internationals

Games for England - Walcott - 0

Games started or had more than 10mins of in Prem Walcott - 0

Compeative games played since December - Walcott 0 (saa above)

etc.

I dont see this need to have the 'unexpected' that happens natuarlly, we could be shocked and Hargreeves might have the world cup of his life!!!!! what you dont do is take in-experienced players hoping to unveil the next Owen, Rooney etc. You have to remember Owen and Rooney at least had some Prem experience before going to championships with England!!

Crouch will scare the crap out of the opposition, he's an unknown quantity on the International scene, they will have no idea how to handle him - it could work :ph34r:

The mans a prat. He picks rooney, fair enough if theres a hope, pick him, but if neither him nor owen make any games we are left with Crouch, who is ok but not great and walcott who is not even in the premiership yet. He also doesn't even pic SWP who is as good in some respects as good as Beckham.

Im surprised Ledley Kings not been included as he has 3 weeks recovery time over Wayne Rooney and has had a much better season than Sol Campbell who has been a liability for Arsenal for most of the season.

Walcott being picked over Darren Bent does annoy me, the kids not even played in the Premiership yet and for Darren Bent to score 22 goals and not even be in the squad is a real pisstake considering Jermaine Defoe's arse has been rooted to the bench for Spurs for the majority of this season and Andy Johnson has got less goals than Bent, plus Bents been up front on his own for most if not all of the season!

Hargreaves again in for no particular reason apart from the rumour going round that he can play almost anywhere, perhaps we should tell Sven he can play in another Country while the World Cup's on, everytime the guy comes on in an England shirt we seem to throw it away a la Portugal.

I just can't understand the logic to this team, I really hope it works out but I just cant see it happening....

Archived