Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hairy

Provisional Squad Named

Really? I love the fact he is in the squad.

He has played a big part in middlesbroughs revival since the 'fan chucking a season ticket at manager era'. The UEFA semi-final he put in a cracking performance. I'm delighted him and lennon are in, two players that can leave full backs for dead and put in a cracking cross, and fi we have *sigh* no option to put crouch in then this will help.

Maybe it's just the games I've seen but his crossing has been poor along with his decison making. There is potential there but maybe I just haven't seen it yet.

Maybe it's just the games I've seen but his crossing has been poor along with his decison making. There is potential there but maybe I just haven't seen it yet.

Everyone looks at players differently but at the end of the day he has got the potential, if he plays as well as he can then i think most people would agree he'd be a huge addition to the squad

only time will tell

The only problem i have with the squad is the inclusion of jenas, owen hargreves gets alot of stick but he has forced his way back into a bayern side that won the double this year, he is playing in a country that he is at home in and provides cover for Rb and Lb as well as across midfield, jenas on the other hand seems a wasted selection surely another foward would serve the purpose better

well done sven for choosing lennon and downing ahead of SWP, lennon is a natural replacement for SWP (who is good enough but just not hasd enough games) he keeps possesion alot more than SWP and downing is a different winger to cole and Lennon more similar to beckham.

As for walcott well a sub forward needs to be able to come on in the last ten and change the game something defoe, bent, AJ, fowler and beatie can not do on this higher a level, maybe walcott can.

Tbh I think if thats he's 23 man squad and Owen and Rooney aren't fit for the knock out stages and we have one of our important midfielders suspended , we will without question get turned over in the quarters, and if we're playing the Germans in the last 16 they will destory us :ermm: I think the Poles or even Ecudaor would have a good go as well. <_< . There are major Holes in the striking department, and saying we are thinking about taking the best part of 9 midfielders, I have no /little faith in any of the other players except for the starting four and possiblly Carrick.

Why slate Defoe for scoring four premier league goals this year when Walcott hasn't even been on the pitch that many times this year. Why slate Defoe for scoring four premier league goals this year when Walcott hasn't scored one in his carear. How someone can say SWP should miss out due to him not playing and then.. in the same breath say Walcott playing for England is a exciting prospect I dont know. Its a horrible horrible descion to take him, and he's suppouse to be the risk that Sveb has allowed himself in picking the squad, i'd love to know that that makes Jenas, Hargreaves, Downing Lennon and Even Crouch! Harden Internationals??? leaving out Bent is a disgrace.

I honestly do think Sven has woke up seen this rumour in the paper, and thought "eh tell u what that may be alright for a giggle"

Picking Joe Cole as his "fifth striker" and that glorified sprinter Walcott is just a kick in the face to this countrys strikers. I honestly dont know what Darren bent must be thinking now, he finishes the season as the highest scoring Englishmen in the prem and gets over looked for the England squad by a kid who has never even played at any decent level and has managed a massive five championship goals, and a midfielder.

For all starting with the "dont complain get behind the team, theres no point crying over spilt milk ect" rubbish already. No Im sorry there is plenty of use in complaning as this is not he's final squad, if mine and other peoples moaning can help convince him to change his mind I will moan until June 9th.

Jenas Out Hargreaves Out Walcott Out, either Downing or Lennon out (prefferable Downing) And while we're at Waybe bloddy Bridge out as well.

A massive "**** You All!" from Sven. Bloody fantastic. This is what we want. Not some predictable, run-of-the-mill squad. He spent two years planning the whole shebang, only to get blindingly drunk with Tord Grip the night before he picks the squad and just goes mad, thinks "Ah! B*llocks to zis" and picks some guy who never even kicked a ball before in the Premiership.

I could go down the 23 and do my own critique - but frankly I can't be arsed as everyone else has already. It's all opinions at the end of the day.

For having the sheer brassneck to pick that squad, and scream to the world at the top of your voice "I love you Owen Mother****ing Hargreaves, I love you, you midfield utility bitch!!!", I salute you Sir. You've made my World Cup interesting again. I hope you and Tord go on to win the whole damn shooting match now. I don't care about tactics or formations anymore. B*llocks!!! Just send eleven men out there - Crouch, Walcott, Hargreaves, Lennon. Send out Luke Young for all I care now. Just win it!

:worship:

Shaun Wright-Who? Ha Ha! :D

Tbh I think if thats he's 23 man squad and Owen and Rooney aren't fit for the knock out stages and we have one of our important midfielders suspended , we will without question get turned over in the quarters, and if we're playing the Germans in the last 16 they will destory us :ermm: I think the Poles or even Ecudaor would have a good go as well. <_< . There are major Holes in the striking department, and saying we are thinking about taking the best part of 9 midfielders, I have no /little faith in any of the other players except for the starting four and possiblly Carrick.

Why slate Defoe for scoring four premier league goals this year when Walcott hasn't even been on the pitch that many times this year. Why slate Defoe for scoring four premier league goals this year when Walcott hasn't scored one in his carear. How someone can say SWP should miss out due to him not playing and then.. in the same breath say Walcott playing for England is a exciting prospect I dont know. Its a horrible horrible descion to take him, and he's suppouse to be the risk that Sveb has allowed himself in picking the squad, i'd love to know that that makes Jenas, Hargreaves, Downing Lennon and Even Crouch! Harden Internationals??? leaving out Bent is a disgrace.

I honestly do think Sven has woke up seen this rumour in the paper, and thought "eh tell u what that may be alright for a giggle"

Picking Joe Cole as his "fifth striker" and that glorified sprinter Walcott is just a kick in the face to this countrys strikers. I honestly dont know what Darren bent must be thinking now, he finishes the season as the highest scoring Englishmen in the prem and gets over looked for the England squad by a kid who has never even played at any decent level and has managed a massive five championship goals, and a midfielder.

For all starting with the "dont complain get behind the team, theres no point crying over spilt milk ect" rubbish already. No Im sorry there is plenty of use in complaning as this is not he's final squad, if mine and other peoples moaning can help convince him to change his mind I will moan until June 9th.

Jenas Out Hargreaves Out Walcott Out, either Downing or Lennon out (prefferable Downing) And while we're at Waybe bloddy Bridge out as well.

The thing that makes it worse about Darren Bent he isn't even a backup!!

I'm very disappointed in some of the selections but that won't matter to Sven, he's not going to have to pick up the pieces, he'll still be getting paid.

You obviously didn't see the UEFA semi, when he tore the Steaua Bucharest defence to shreds.

He obviously made a big impression on Sven!

The thing that makes it worse about Darren Bent he isn't even a backup!!

I'm very disappointed in some of the selections but that won't matter to Sven, he's not going to have to pick up the pieces, he'll still be getting paid.

To be fair he has been poor for Charlton in recent weeks. His goals have virtually dried up, and he did very little at Old Trafford yesterday.

Plus his England debut wasn't anything to write home about. I can understand why Sven isn't convinced.

To be fair he has been poor for Charlton in recent weeks. His goals have virtually dried up, and he did very little at Old Trafford yesterday.

Plus his England debut wasn't anything to write home about. I can understand why Sven isn't convinced.

Please explain to me what has convinced about Theo Walcot

A massive "**** You All!" from Sven. Bloody fantastic. This is what we want. Not some predictable, run-of-the-mill squad. He spent two years planning the whole shebang, only to get blindingly drunk with Tord Grip the night before he picks the squad and just goes mad, thinks "Ah! B*llocks to zis" and picks some guy who never even kicked a ball before in the Premiership.

I could go down the 23 and do my own critique - but frankly I can't be arsed as everyone else has already. It's all opinions at the end of the day.

For having the sheer brassneck to pick that squad, and scream to the world at the top of your voice "I love you Owen Mother****ing Hargreaves, I love you, you midfield utility bitch!!!", I salute you Sir. You've made my World Cup interesting again. I hope you and Tord go on to win the whole damn shooting match now. I don't care about tactics or formations anymore. B*llocks!!! Just send eleven men out there - Crouch, Walcott, Hargreaves, Lennon. Send out Luke Young for all I care now. Just win it!

:worship:

Shaun Wright-Who? Ha Ha! :D

That's how i'm feeling now. Sven has finally got some balls, whetehr their his i'm not sure. I was seriously fearing the worst when Rooney got injured and the news Owen is still bollocksed but atleast Sven has put a cat amongst the pigeons and got everyone up in arms so they get side tracked from the harsh reality that this World Cup promised so much but could well be over before it's even started.

When everything calms down, people will write our chances off and the pressure will be off. People will be expecting us to fail.

Do you really think John Terry, Gary Neville, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard will let this country go down without a fight?

The harsh reality is without Owen and Rooney we haven't got a champagne selection of strikers and in Walcott he's an unknown commodity, whether that's a good thing i'm not sure. Luckily we have possibly the strongest midfield and defence out of the European nations and rival Argentina and Brazil in those departments. Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard need to replicate their domestic form this season at the World Cup and there's goals there for us. Noddy Crouch has his critics but defenders won't like playing against him. Owen will be fit, Rooney won't. Well won't be fit for the start anyway.

Lennon is on fire, Carrick is very reliable and people say Downing is looking good. There's 3 back-ups who can help out. Then there's Walcott, and Defoe if Rooney is ruled out.

I am quite intrigued by it all now, I was deflated last week. Now I find it funny what Sven has done. The guy is a clueless genius, if there ever was one.

Crap teams have done well at the World Cup, great teams with depeleted squads have done well at the World Cup. It's a lottery, but we have 6 or 7 English bravehearts who will do us proud.

Italia '90 - We came back hero's because we were written off as no hopers. Look through that squad and although there was some definite talent there, there was also some cringe worthy players.

Relax, it's Sven's year.

Owen has scored something like 30 international goals (or maybe more I don't know i'm guessing), other than Rooney hardly any of the others have scored.

I'd take a half-fit Owen ANY day of the week, he knows where the net is unlike 70% of the other strikers that currently play for england!

It is only worth taking a half-fit Owen if we have another instinctive striker in the squad who can come off the bench. If not, we have a striker well off the pace playing against players of the calibre of Puyol or Maldini. We have tried rushing players back before. Beckham was appalling in 2002 and admitted afterwards the reason was his lack of match practice. I fear the same with Owen, except we do not have any replacement should we be found to be lacking in this department.

Edit: Didn't come across right. We should be taking Owen + another instinctive striker. If Owen is not ready, we do not have another out and out goalscorer. That to me is a worry.

It is only worth taking a half-fit Owen if we have another instinctive striker in the squad who can come off the bench. If not, we have a striker well off the pace playing against players of the calibre of Puyol or Maldini. We have tried rushing players back before. Beckham was appalling in 2002 and admitted afterwards the reason was his lack of match practice. I fear the same with Owen, except we do not have any replacement should we be found to be lacking in this department.

You can't deny that if the ball falls inside the box and Owen is there it's more than likely going to be a goal. I've seen him have matches where he doesn't touch the ball and then bang, the game is won. I would take him unless he has a serious set back. He does need to find his sharpness and I think he will, he doesn't get the credit he deserves. There aren't many better finishers than him in big matches, he thrives on pressure and big match situations. Take him.

I agree with Ric and Nationwider, Sven has been very bold with his choices and I love the fact he's picked Theo because he excites him....even though he's never seen him play a proper match! :D

Without Rooney we need a spark, we need a bit of excitement. Imagine how smug Sven will be if Theo has a Pele/Maradona-esque World Cup!

Another reason not to take Walcott.

According to www.footballrumours.com Theo will be unable to play in the late games due to the scheduled kick off time of 21:00 being approximately 15 mins after his bed time.

He's also a doubt for the Trindad game due to his paper round.

I agree with Ric and Nationwider, Sven has been very bold with his choices and I love the fact he's picked Theo because he excites him....even though he's never seen him play a proper match! :D

Without Rooney we need a spark, we need a bit of excitement. Imagine how smug Sven will be if Theo has a Pele/Maradona-esque World Cup!

This article in today's Football365 puts it much better than I could...

Oh man, this will go down in history. How ironic that after being accused of being the most boring man since John Major, Sven should announce a final squad of such epic madness, of such inspired insanity.

Don't try and make sense of it. It refuses to be made sense of. It's crazy. It's mad. Mad in so many ways.

Mad for including Owen Hargreaves and Jermaine Jenas, both footballing non-entities.

Mad for including Sol Campbell, who has gone mad and has clearly forgotten how to play football.

Mad for actually selecting a proper old-school left winger in Stewy Downing and a proper take-on-your-man-and-beat-him right-winger in Aaron Lennon.

Mad for only taking four strikers and two of them being crocked and mad of course for including Theo Walcott despite him never having played top-flight football and despite Sven never actually seeing him live. It's a wa*k-fest of joyous gambling.

It's a gamble that will either prove to be an act of genius or an act of stupid folly. But that's what is so good about this squad.

You get nowhere in life playing safe. All the best art is made on the edge of madness where things are dangerous and scary. Conservative is bad and this squad is anything but conservative. I love it. I wish we'd seen this kind of off-the-wall side to Sven in the past. He's not playing safe, he's betting the farm on a few hunches and by doing so is opening himself up for a lot of criticism, but since he get's acres of that anyway, why not burn his bridges and going for broke.

This article in today's Football365 puts it much better than I could...

the stick hargreves gets is un called for, he has played excellent since recovering from injury for bayern this year, he has played at left back for them then right back and has been an excellent centre mid (his usual position)

you don’t get a more rounded player, with out him valuable cover for gary neville would take up an extra space as well as providing cover for midfield anchorman (only carrick suited to that position)

it seems people slag him of saying he is a football non entity when in fact he has played for one of the most successful clubs in Europe and has won more than anyone else in the england side.

the stick hargreves gets is un called for, he has played excellent since recovering from injury for bayern this year, he has played at left back for them then right back and has been an excellent centre mid (his usual position)

you don’t get a more rounded player, with out him valuable cover for gary neville would take up an extra space as well as providing cover for midfield anchorman (only carrick suited to that position)

it seems people slag him of saying he is a football non entity when in fact he has played for one of the most successful clubs in Europe and has won more than anyone else in the england side.

Sometimes a player's versatility can be perceived as a weakness. I think the non-entity tag was partly that, because he plays for Bayern, most England fans aren't aware that he exists week on week. That and the fact that he plays everywhere apart from in goal.

I applaud Sven for picking him as Hargreaves is in form (always a good thing going into a World Cup) and because he's just being his own man.

Sven 'n drugs 'n rock 'n roll. :)

I have a new found love for Sven, I think the he is well on his way to a cult hero status and the media will be up his 'arris after this summer pleading with the FA to re-consider appointing white nashers.

He has gone crazy and as that article says, all works of art ore done on the verge of madness.

Relax, it's Sven's year.

I have a new found love for Sven, I think the he is well on his way to a cult hero status and the media will be up his 'arris after this summer pleading with the FA to re-consider appointing white nashers.

He has gone crazy and as that article says, all works of art ore done on the verge of madness.

Relax, it's Sven's year.

You need to put that in your sig Ric :thumbup:

Sometimes a player's versatility can be perceived as a weakness. I think the non-entity tag was partly that, because he plays for Bayern, most England fans aren't aware that he exists week on week. That and the fact that he plays everywhere apart from in goal.

He may well have been excellent for Bayern in recent weeks. Doesn't change the fact he's been consistently crap for England though.

He gets picked because he's Sven's blue-eyed boy, an English version of Joe Hamill!

Archived