Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Gerrbrand leaves

I thought that last year though tbh and look what could have happened! :unsure:

yeh but in the end we finished about 10 points clear, so in the end you were right. we may be close, but we wont go down.

its like predicting at a football game when you are 4-0 up that we have definetely won, but it ends 4-3, and your mate says it doesnt guarantee we would win. but it does it cos it proved 4 goals was enough to win. if you understand :D

yeh but in the end we finished about 10 points clear, so in the end you were right. we may be close, but we wont go down.

its like predicting at a football game when you are 4-0 up that we have definetely won, but it ends 4-3, and your mate says it doesnt guarantee we would win. but it does it cos it proved 4 goals was enough to win. if you understand :D

no :unsure:

Don't really know what the big fuss is all about.

Good on the ball, but lacked presence as a defender. The Championship seemed a bit too tough for him. If anything, I felt he was more suited to a full back position. Unfortunately for him, Stearman and Maybury have struck up a good partnership.

I feel more assured with Kenton at the back. Someone with experience in this division and seems to work well with McCarthy. Not the best on the ball, but there are not many sides in the Championship who can boast footballing playing centre-halves.

If he is as good as some make out, why is he heading off to some mediocre Norweigan side?

Bet he wished he'd gone to the Bundesliga now!

Real shame. Technically he was the best defender we had. Was awesome until the mistake against Southampton, got ridiculed, lost confidence and then never saw much of him again. Really thought he would have done it for us in the Premiership; theres no question in my mind that he'll play for a decent club one day.

Don't really know what the big fuss is all about.

Good on the ball, but lacked presence as a defender. The Championship seemed a bit too tough for him. If anything, I felt he was more suited to a full back position. Unfortunately for him, Stearman and Maybury have struck up a good partnership.

I feel more assured with Kenton at the back. Someone with experience in this division and seems to work well with McCarthy. Not the best on the ball, but there are not many sides in the Championship who can boast footballing playing centre-halves.

If he is as good as some make out, why is he heading off to some mediocre Norweigan side?

This is no dig at you or anyone else has made this comment, but who cares about "football playing centre halves"? As long as they have the main attributes to be a defender, does it really matter? If he is a player who knows "how to play the game" then maybe he should reconsider himself being a centre half.

This is no dig at you or anyone else has made this comment, but who cares about "football playing centre halves"? As long as they have the main attributes to be a defender, does it really matter? If he is a player who knows "how to play the game" then maybe he should reconsider himself being a centre half.

That's the point I was making. First of all, you need to be able to defend. Being a footballing centre half is secondary. Just look at Reading last year, both their centre halves, particularly Sonko, weren't the best on the ball, but they were effective defenders. As long as you have a midfield that can take responsibility, that eases the pressure on them.

That's the point I was making. First of all, you need to be able to defend. Being a footballing centre half is secondary. Just look at Reading last year, both their centre halves, particularly Sonko, weren't the best on the ball, but they were effective defenders. As long as you have a midfield that can take responsibility, that eases the pressure on them.

Wasn't this so many peoples argument for getting rid of and hating Heath though?

He was put down more for his lack of distribution ovver everything else.

But he looked tidy in the Autumn months, he looked more then capable of keeping most Championship strikers at bay with just the right mix of tackling & technical ability mixed in a slight just enough pace and physical prescience to get him by. He was a defender with half decent distribution instead of the hoof attitude everyone seems to be complaining about. We were talking about selling him on to the prem at one point ( well some of us, not me :D ) I personally think its a shame he didn’t stay and adapt.....

I've said this countless times but seeing as he's going I suppose one more wont hurt. He tailed off after Sam Bonguara and Sidibe made him and Dublin look like a pair of prize pricks at the Britannia stadium, he under performed and Stokes forward line were too much for him on the night towards the end he looked proper intimidated, and their second goal (a sidibe header I think it was) was a ball Gerrbrand should of headed out everytime, instead I think he just wanted to get out of the way of the red and white steam train leaping over the top of him :D. I dunno what Craig Levein said to him after the game but he never recovered from that game….

It's a shame we didn’t at least get a fee for him.

Wasn't this so many peoples argument for getting rid of and hating Heath though?

He was put down more for his lack of distribution ovver everything else.

No.

Heath also couldn't defend very well either.

But it was all people would talk about

You would expect a certain standard of being able to pass the ball if you're plying your trade in the Championship, but Heath was just woeful, so the blaringly obvious was focused on more than anything else.

He just wasn't a very good player overall.

I can't believe the reaction on here. You guys are making him out to be Matthias Sammer Mk II.

The fact is that he started his career here well enough, and rightfully earned praise. However, after his injury he was pretty hopeless. The fact that he can control and pass the ball doesn't make him a better defender than McCarthy, Kenton et al - he may be a better footballer than his counterparts but that isn't the question.

Whenever he was in the team post-Christmas (and even before as the Stoke away game showed) he was exposed badly and was at fault for a number of goals. His lack of aerial ability and strength was exploited so often in this division, and I for one was never confident whenever he was in the team. He was out-muscled, out-jumped, and out-fought too many times to be a good defender.

Can nobody else remember his errors at Stoke, at home to Southampton, against Reading away, and many others? His footballing brain and passing didn't help much did it? He is not suited to the English Championship, or even English football altogether. In my opinion it's right that he's shafted, the only downside is that we didn't get any money for him.

To be honest, everybody here seems to be jumping on the anti-Kelly bandwagon now. Most of you have disapproved of his signings and tactics (in pre-season ffs) and this is just another way of slating the man who saved our relegation to League 1. A ball hasn't even been kicked yet for season 2006/2007 and yet I can already see the knives being sharpened for Kelly.

Quite frankly it's disgusting.

I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of the posts on this thread after that one, Anish. Sums up my thoughts exactly. Everything I would've put, you have. I agree with you totally.

Gerrbrand was decent on the deck but Championship football is about winning your battles and I'm afraid he failed many times, especially in the air. Not the kind of player you'd want next to you when trying to defend a late bombardment of long balls into your box. People are already judging McAuley before he's kicked a ball for us competitively which I think is sad. I can judge Gerrbrand because I've seen him play for us. I take on board that it was his first season in a different country and it was full of injuries but I could tell what his strengths and weaknesses were when he did play and I just don't think he's suited to this league. I watched the Stoke game you mentioned on the box, went to the Southampton cup match and Reading away and they are prime examples of why things haven't worked out for him. Add to all of that the fact that he wants to go back to Scandinavia, possibly because he doesn't want his few month old baby to grow up in this country, and you've got enough reasons to let him leave.

It's a real shame Leicester didn't get any money for Gerrbrand.

I am myself Norwegian and I know the team his linked to (Fredrikstad FK) and they are well known for splashing out money for players. I am 100% certain they would cash out at least £100.000 for him.

Wasn't Leicester aware of this? Why didn't his agent tell us this?

His former side in Sweden, Hammarby, are also considering to approach him, but apparantly they don't need more players in the defence.

I hope to see Gerrbrand go back to Sweden, because Fredrikstad is for my team in Norway the equivalent of what Derby and Forest are for Leicester City.

My team, Moss FK, are hoping for promotion to the premiership, while Fredrikstad are fighting against relegation from the top-flight.

So to see Gerrbrand join Fredrikstad would break my heart!

And the fact that we don't get a penny for him makes this even worse.

Fredrikstad should've paid through their nose for Gerrbrand. :banghead:

I personally think its a shame he didn’t stay and adapt.....

I'd agree. I thought that the two centre halves who had potentially most to offer as players in that position last season were PK and PG. Both played the role intelligently, could carry the ball and pass. The worst two were Dublin and McCarthy, although McCarthy added plenty of motivational bonus and Dublin always used to make me laugh with the way he'd always try and make the tactical header...

Yes but they haven't followed the path that Wimbledon did, we are.

Are we too relocating 100 miles away, to some place that doesn't give a toss and where League 2 is all that's warranted? If so, your analogy might make some sort of sense.

Are we too relocating 100 miles away, to some place that doesn't give a toss and where League 2 is all that's warranted? If so, your analogy might make some sort of sense.

When you learn to seperate Wimbledon and Milton Keynes Dons then you'll see :thumbup:

Archived