Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Gerrbrand leaves

No one will be smug, I hope we go up but I honestly don't see it and I don't see the point in trying to mask it.

it was aimed at you. Some of the comments you make such as Leicester being the new MK Dons are far off the scale

Maybe it's not totally out of the question that a similar thing will happen with de Vries.

I think something was bound to give eventually with the amount of centre-halves we had at the club, whatever your opinion of Gerrbrand as a footballer.

We desperately need another option at left midfield though.

It's a bit of a surprise that these two head for the exit, so anything's possible.

Obviously there's not too much surprise that Hamill was deemed useless (or surplus, whatever) - but I personally didn't expect anyone to want him, so I figured we were stuck.

As for Gerrbrand, one defender's exit was always likely with the numbers we have, but to leave in this fashion is a bit unexpected.

De Vries next? Sylla maybe? Sheff Utd wanted MDV before we got him - wonder if Warnock is interested in an ex-Premiership player? :P:)

Maybe it's not totally out of the question that a similar thing will happen with de Vries.

I think something was bound to give eventually with the amount of centre-halves we had at the club, whatever your opinion of Gerrbrand as a footballer.

We desperately need another option at left midfield though.

Nobody is going to pay MDV the wages we are paying him now so him leaving is a long shot!

I can't believe the reaction on here. You guys are making him out to be Matthias Sammer Mk II.

The fact is that he started his career here well enough, and rightfully earned praise. However, after his injury he was pretty hopeless. The fact that he can control and pass the ball doesn't make him a better defender than McCarthy, Kenton et al - he may be a better footballer than his counterparts but that isn't the question.

Whenever he was in the team post-Christmas (and even before as the Stoke away game showed) he was exposed badly and was at fault for a number of goals. His lack of aerial ability and strength was exploited so often in this division, and I for one was never confident whenever he was in the team. He was out-muscled, out-jumped, and out-fought too many times to be a good defender.

Can nobody else remember his errors at Stoke, at home to Southampton, against Reading away, and many others? His footballing brain and passing didn't help much did it? He is not suited to the English Championship, or even English football altogether. In my opinion it's right that he's shafted, the only downside is that we didn't get any money for him.

To be honest, everybody here seems to be jumping on the anti-Kelly bandwagon now. Most of you have disapproved of his signings and tactics (in pre-season ffs) and this is just another way of slating the man who saved our relegation to League 1. A ball hasn't even been kicked yet for season 2006/2007 and yet I can already see the knives being sharpened for Kelly.

Quite frankly it's disgusting.

I disagree, everyone is always after a decent striker (stop sniggering at the back). He scored a few goals last season and scored pretty regularly at Hearts. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to a non-Old Firm Scottish club or a lower-table Championship club. It's obvious that Kelly is refusing point blank to give him any game time whatsoever so, like with Gerrbrand, something's got to give.

Nobody is going to pay MDV the wages we are paying him now so him leaving is a long shot!

I don't think Livi can match our wages, and that Norwegian side almost certainly wont...

So it's still possible. Some players just want to play football - as long as the money is reasonable, they'll play anywhere. Gerrbrand wanted out of England and back to Scandinavia, so he's almost certainly taken a pay-cut to go play football that suits him. Hamill wasn't wanted here, he knew he wasn't going to get his chance, so out he went.

Hopefully De Vries is similar - hopefully now he's almost 6th choice striker, he'll feel the need to run for the exit just to play some football.

it was aimed at you. Some of the comments you make such as Leicester being the new MK Dons are far off the scale

Jesus, I never said we would be the new MK Dons, I said we are going the way of Wimbledon before they went to Milton Keynes. Which incidently is the same way as Sheffield Wednesday, Man City and Nottingham Forest went.

No one has been able to give a reasonable arguement as to why I am wrong, perhaps deep down you/they think I might be right but you'd feel dirty admitting it.

:whistle:

Hopefully De Vries is similar - hopefully now he's almost 6th choice striker, he'll feel the need to run for the exit just to play some football.

No doubt about it. He is sixth choice now, Dodds has been given a few pre-season runouts and de Vries has been nowhere near the match squads. It's da freeze-out for de Vries.

Still relatively pointless releasing these players if he's not going to do anything about our lack of attacking threat from wide areas in midfield though.

I can't believe the reaction on here. You guys are making him out to be Matthias Sammer Mk II.

The fact is that he started his career here well enough, and rightfully earned praise. However, after his injury he was pretty hopeless. The fact that he can control and pass the ball doesn't make him a better defender than McCarthy, Kenton et al - he may be a better footballer than his counterparts but that isn't the question.

Whenever he was in the team post-Christmas (and even before as the Stoke away game showed) he was exposed badly and was at fault for a number of goals. His lack of aerial ability and strength was exploited so often in this division, and I for one was never confident whenever he was in the team. He was out-muscled, out-jumped, and out-fought too many times to be a good defender.

Can nobody else remember his errors at Stoke, at home to Southampton, against Reading away, and many others? His footballing brain and passing didn't help much did it? He is not suited to the English Championship, or even English football altogether. In my opinion it's right that he's shafted, the only downside is that we didn't get any money for him.

To be honest, everybody here seems to be jumping on the anti-Kelly bandwagon now. Most of you have disapproved of his signings and tactics (in pre-season ffs) and this is just another way of slating the man who saved our relegation to League 1. A ball hasn't even been kicked yet for season 2006/2007 and yet I can already see the knives being sharpened for Kelly.

Gotta agree on the whole knives sharpening thing... it certainly seems that way around here at the minute. Rightly or wrongly, it's not a good way to kick off a new campaign - even Levein wasn't this hated when we started a new season, and look where he led us.

I'm almost pleased Gerrbrand left. I don't have anything against the lad, but if he didn't want to be here, there's not a lot you can do about it. Furthermore, it's a sign that we're not planning on keeping such a bloated squad as the one we had just two weeks ago. We've removed some dead-wood, and we've rid ourselves of a surplus defender. So far so good.

Roll on the next exitees.

I agree with Anish. Kelly has seen Gerrbrand play an awful lot more than most of us fans, he's seen him train for over a year on top of that, so the best judge of Gerrbrand is Kelly. He's decided to release him, which considering he's hardly played for us, isn't a suprise.

Sometimes I think a lot of you go searching for something to moan about.

Look on the bright side, De Vries has had NO pre-season action sop clearly he is next to be released, after that we might be able to afford a new player.

No doubt about it. He is sixth choice now, Dodds has been given a few pre-season runouts and de Vries has been nowhere near the match squads. It's da freeze-out for de Vries.

Still relatively pointless releasing these players if he's not going to do anything about our lack of attacking threat from wide areas in midfield though.

:laugh:

Seriously tho... I think it's a bit early to tell what's going on with potential incoming players. Perhaps now we've shifted two players we'll look to bring in a 5th and final signing. Perhaps we need to shift one more player before we've room to breathe on the transfer front.

If we ship out a third player (MDV perhaps) then it's looking good for another signing - which should hopefully be an attack-minded one.

Hopefully.

So Dion Dublin getting done twice at Stoke is suddenly Gerrbrand's fault?????

Listen precious we pay our money and we are entitled to our opinions. Defending is a whole lot more than diving in like a headcase giving away stupid fouls and picking up silly yellow and red cards. But he he didn't kiss his badge a la Dublin or act like Steve Walsh so he isn't a 'defender'.

FFS.

Well said :thumbup:

Well said Anish... :thumbup:

Gerrbrand started off well but went downhill quicker than Ryan Smith did. It's no coincidence that many of our defeats during the Kelly era have occurred while he's been in defence.

I had a feeling one defender would leave. I'm glad it's him rather than Kisnorbo, McCarthy or Stearman.

Yeah, well said Anish.

There are too many people who think they know it all and that they are always right on here.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, you don't have to agree, but there's no need to be so acerbic!

So get of your fvcking high horse :ph34r:;)

Archived