Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Books

If there's any fans of the wire reading through the book thread i'd recommend "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets" by David Simon. The guy wrote this in about 1991, and it follows the Baltimore Homicide unit for a year, fantastic book

Bell Jar: Done. :)

Fantastic.

glad to hear it! i was gutted after reading it to realise that it's the only real fiction she did...

as you enjoyed it, i highly recommend a book called 'the group' by Mary Mccarthy :thumbup:

glad to hear it! i was gutted after reading it to realise that it's the only real fiction she did...

as you enjoyed it, i highly recommend a book called 'the group' by Mary Mccarthy :thumbup:

Thanks. Was going to try and find out about some other similar stuff.

Thanks. Was going to try and find out about some other similar stuff.

no worries, it's a good read, and similar in some ways, yes - but a bit more broad in scope.

mccarthy is a great writer, one of my favourites.

you can get a copy off ebay for pennies. (though you might need to go through .com rather than .co.uk)

• 2 weeks later...
I am really looking forward to The Lost Symbol, hope its not a let down.

Also ive decided to really get into books again during my year out.

So if anyone can recommend anything, ill make it easier for you, I like modern crime, murder mystery, horror... that sort of thing.

Id say my favourite book of all time is messiah(the one that was made into the tv series).

If you like horror have you tried any Richard Laymon books? When I used to read that sort of stuff (before I became serious and started reading non-fiction!) I thought he was easily as good as King or Herbert.

Savage, Funland and Midnights Lair I remember enjoying and reckon you'd like them :thumbup: Also '48' by James Herbert is interesting, bit like 28 Days Later sort of thing if I remember right.

Just finished "My Lobotomy" by Howard Dully, a memoir from a guy that, err, had a lobotomy done to him as a child. The storytelling has some flaws, but it's a heart-wrenching story.

Don't know what's next. I've had Barack Obama's "Dreams of My Father" for a while and I'm still not done, but it's something I just read when I'm between books. Someone suggested "Diary of an Oxygen Thief" by Anonymous (how original :rolleyes:) to me, and I think there's a chance it could be a worthwhile read, but for now I think I'm just going to look around the library tomorrow and pick out something different.

• 2 weeks later...
what's that book by jack kerouac that everyone 'simply must read'. summat about travelling to find ones self. i wasn't really listening when i was 17

On The Road.

Not read it yet. The Dharma Bums is a sort of sequel to it, but with all different names etc. They're pretty much all semi-autobiographical I think.

Sexy.

I've just finished 'Bad Science' (inside a day), thought it was great.

Reading that now for my Psychology Research Methods module.

Just got in to Chapter 3 and already Ben Goldacre is fast becoming a legend lol. (Okay exaggeration but you know what I'm getting at).

The fact he puts a humorous stint on the flaws of teaching methods etc is an added bonus to something so true.

Well if you can put up with Kerouac's (often intense) prose style then I'd definitely read Lonesome Traveller - quite a short book and one you wont put down

this puts me off somewhat. i want a writer to get to the point, not ponce about the bush

Archived