Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

So what's the verdict?

My own feelings were:

First of all it was a far better performance than our first away match at Luton,

As against Ipswich the team that started looked properly balanced, we got the ball in the box, dominated much of the first half and eventually won a point that many teams won't get at the Ricoh.

Kelly deserves credit for trying to win the game and there's some basis for believing we can progress from here.

But having amassed four points from four games we are going to be 6 points off the pace come the end of the weekend and we have to improve because four from four is still close to relegation pace.

First of all we've GOT TO start playing to our strengths and that means linking the play to feet or to space.

We have good, even excellent, defensive defenders but almost to a man their passing once in possession is awful.

Every time we head or kick the ball in the air we lose possession and invite pressure unnecessarily.

It wasn't exposed so much first half because we had outlet balls to either flank.

But once Levi went off (and I agree with the decision because he'd worked himself to a standstill) we snookered ourselves. We had no left side pass available, Coventry took advantage and at one stage might easily have scored.

Hume didn't make much difference in attack apart from one shot and the game passed Weso by. The guy we missed was O'Grady because he was the player who could have taken up wide positions and held the ball as he did so often last season. Or, of course, Sheehan who always provides width.

But clearly O'Grady has been banned in what amounts to a voluntary own goal and Sheehan remains sidelined for whatever reason.

With funds coming in for McSheffery I doubt Coventry will be as weak again so overall, though a point is welcome, we should have got three.

In the first half particularly City got more crosses into the box than for any two matches together that I can remember last season but we simply had no aerial presence and it's a serious problem, so bad that aerial crosses are all but pointless.

Our midfielders did try to back the attacks but really posed no consistent scoring threat.

Fryatt and Hume are too similar and Hammond was disappointing, partly because we don't create space for him to use his pace. Surely it's time think about starting O'Grady or Dodds with Fryatt.

Although not great in this respect, O'Grady's the best forward we have in the air and Dodds is a good link as well as a good striker. He'll keep the ball on the floor.

But mainly Kelly has to stop our defenders squandering their hard won possession so easily to make the next improvement in a team which is much better than the one he picked in the first two games.

And how he's going to do that I don't know because the habit seems so ingrained and we don't have a midfielder who seems to demand the ball early to feet as the starting point for attacks. Hopefully Weso will do it, or Levi when he's finally won people's confidence (though then we'd need a wide man).

Anyway, overall there were some encouraging signs of a genuine, home and away, return to positive football and that's to be welcomed. Hoiw ironic that we kept a clean sheet with such a positive approach and, in fact limited Coventry to very few genuine chances.

I always said our defenders were perfectly capable of looking after themselves without the need for reinforcements.

I just felt we were lacking. Lacking in our ability to control the game. It was increadibly fristrating to watch the ball get sent into the air numerous times, when it never lead to anything. When we pass we looked fairly good, but we somehow didn't manage to recognise that or use it in our game. For me todays game was dispointing, I felt we should have done better, and we must if we want to achieve.

Coventry were there for the taking, for us I seen two main weaknesses.

We need wingers our crossing was abysmal.

Johnson midfielder too many overhit passes.

Bingo... He infuriated me for the whole of the second half. He did many good things, like always offering himself when a teammate was under pressure, and he genuinely worked hard on the pitch even though he's not the quickest and doesn't last the pace. But he just needlessly hoofed the ball over the top straight to their keeper on countless occasions when we had players moving on the wings and just generally available everywhere else!

Over the whole game, I feel a point was a fair result. We should've capitalised from our dominance in the first half, but like Thracian's already pointed out, we lacked any sort of aerial threat. We looked (relatively) comfortable in defence, but were slightly lucky not to go a goal behind in the second half. Would've been sickening if Heath had scored with that free header...

i thought we played very well but just lacked that killer touch ( stating the obvious i know), very impressed with levi porter and josh low and at times our passing in midfield was first rate,

not too much wrong for me, just a bit of tweaking and hopefully a bit of luck and we should at least be safely mid table after xmas and maybe start a push for a play-off in the later stages

I thought we played some good football at times, used the width well! Young Levi did very well!

Hammond is just not good enough!!! Doesn't bring anything to the side! He can't trap a ball!

I'd have took a point before the game!

I thought we played some good football at times, used the width well! Young Levi did very well!

Hammond is just not good enough!!! Doesn't bring anything to the side! He can't trap a ball!

I'd have took a point before the game!

Too right. Some of his runs were appalling. I think the one that stood out for me was when J.Low sent a cross in, Fryatt was at the far post, so Elvis should of been trying to get in front of his defender at the near. Where does he go? He edges to the far post and Heath cuts the cross out easily. However, with O'Grady not included, we don't have anyone who can get amongst defenders and hold the ball up.

In terms of quality the game was about 85/15, with 15% being good from either team. Any neutral watching would have turned off after 10 mins.

Team, far too much hoofing by both sides resulting in games of head tennis.

Henderson, with our defenders has got to respond quicker when he is in possession; he needs to get the ball out to the full backs more often. Far too many times he waits & waits and then hoofs an aimless ball which is invariably won by their bigger players and used to counter attack.

Centrebacks, I thought Kisnorbo was by far the better of the two they both gave away, as did others far too many free kicks just out side the box. I also lost count of the number of times McCarthy misjudged the bounce of the ball and it went looping over his head.

Full backs, I thought Kenton was one of the better players, by the time Stearman came on the team was genrally flagging and edging into panic mode especially at the back so I don't think he was particularly to blame. Johansson is alright defending genrally but a decent speedy winger will always have the beating of him and his distribution is erratic and over ambitious.

Midfield, were over run at times and failed to take advantage of any posession they had, they also didn't get forward enough another consequence of the hoofing I believe. Niether of them seem capable of 90 minutes

Wingers, apart from the occasional lucky hoof most of the supply to the forwards came via Low and Porter, both of whom I thought had decent games.

Strikers, yet again still too isolated, Fryatt was having to drop back to midfield and then having to beat too many players. Hammond doesn't look like he can be arsed when he hasn't got the ball, I get the impression he's starting to hide.

Overall, I liked the formation and commitment but there is still adistinct lack of quality in two or three position. They really do need to learn to play it on the deck more, keep the passes simple far too many players were trying to achieve Beckham like passes. I'm happier than I was after the first two games and even the ones where we picked up points from at the end of last season.

That team showing a bit of intelligence is capable of so much more.

I agree with much of the above. This was a game we could, and should, have won. Coventry were there for the taking. Far too many chances were missed or squandered, and our strike rate is going to have to improve if we have any hope of reaching the play-offs this season.

Our midfield was AWOL for much of the game last night, and this area is still a worry. We need to start developing some consistancy and learn to hold the ball a lot better. Hoofing the ball up towards Matty Fryatt is all very well if it's a genuine killer pass, but far too often it's nothing more than a hopeful punt. The result is that the ball comes straight back at us again and leads to unnecessary pressure. In that sense, perhaps the jury is still out on Andy Johnson.

I'm still a little bewildered at Rob Kelly preferring to start with Elvis up front. For all his hard work, Elvis never really comes up with much and Hume is a far more potent player. I guess there's a method in there somewhere. As has already been mentioned, it's a shame that O'grady hasn't been given an opportunity. Still, as Van Nistelrooy found out, you get nowt if you piss off your manager.

Another concern must surely be our goalkeepers. Henderson is a vast improvement over Douglas, yet he seems to suffer from the same momentary lapses of reason. He very nearly cost us the game last night.

Having said all of that, there were a lot of positives. Kenton and J Low were outstanding and continue to impress after their starts against Ipswich. Levi Porter also works hard down the flanks and gives us good width. On the whole we are looking a far more dynamic team that seems hungry for success. It was good to see that we were still creating some excellent chances right up to the final whistle.

On the whole we seem to have the makings of a good solid team and I'm sure we can build upon the last couple of results and continue to improve.

COME ON LEICESTER!

Well I thought both teams were as bad as each other,it was an awful game to be frank.Coventry were obviosuly lacking without McSheffery and it was obvius you were settling for a 0-0 draw from the start.Coventry are overrated and will finish mid-table at best and you won't fare much better.

Well I thought both teams were as bad as each other,it was an awful game to be frank.Coventry were obviosuly lacking without McSheffery and it was obvius you were settling for a 0-0 draw from the start.Coventry are overrated and will finish mid-table at best and you won't fare much better.

Mid-table at best for both, Cov do have the advantage of having a decent amount of cash to spend and a manager who's done it already. On the other hand our smaller squad should enable us to knit and gell together better as the season develops, injuries and suspensions not withstanding. McCarthy's already on 2 yellows.

In terms of quality the game was about 85/15, with 15% being good from either team. Any neutral watching would have turned off after 10 mins.

Henderson, with our defenders has got to respond quicker when he is in possession; he needs to get the ball out to the full backs more often. Far too many times he waits & waits and then hoofs an aimless ball which is invariably won by their bigger players and used to counter attack.

Centrebacks, I thought Kisnorbo was by far the better of the two they both gave away, as did others far too many free kicks just out side the box. I also lost count of the number of times McCarthy misjudged the bounce of the ball and it went looping over his head.

Full backs, I thought Kenton was one of the better players, by the time Stearman came on the team was genrally flagging and edging into panic mode especially at the back so I don't think he was particularly to blame. Johansson is alright defending genrally but a decent speedy winger will always have the beating of him and his distribution is erratic and over ambitious.

Midfield, were over run at times and failed to take advantage of any posession they had, they also didn't get forward enough another consequence of the hoofing I believe. Niether of them seem capable of 90 minutes

Wingers, apart from the occasional lucky hoof most of the supply to the forwards came via Low and Porter, both of whom I thought had decent games.

Strikers, yet again still too isolated, Fryatt was having to drop back to midfield and then having to beat too many players. Hammond doesn't look like he can be arsed when he hasn't got the ball, I get the impression he's starting to hide.

Overall, I liked the formation and commitment but there is still adistinct lack of quality in two or three position. They really do need to learn to play it on the deck more, keep the passes simple far too many players were trying to achieve Beckham like passes. I'm happier than I was after the first two games and even the ones where we picked up points from at the end of last season.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Agree with every word.

I wonder too if it is time to give Conrad Logan his break. Macclesfield seems the perfect opportunity.

It is always difficult when there's so little chance to see a guy but his MoM and PLayer of the Month awards at Boston and his confident performance at Hinckley have made me wonder for a while.

First he seems much more dominant in the box but the other point is, as you mentioned, that Henderson's distribution is woeful. He invariably wastes the ball with a high punt to no-one and nowhere in particular instead of throwing the ball to feet or kicking with a lower trajectory to a City shirt.

Watch top goalkeepers and they almost claim the ball and distribute it to feet in the same movement - very swiftly - thus buying vital time for the defender receiving the ball.

i thought we played very well but just lacked that killer touch ( stating the obvious i know), very impressed with levi porter and josh low and at times our passing in midfield was first rate,

not too much wrong for me, just a bit of tweaking and hopefully a bit of luck and we should at least be safely mid table after xmas and maybe start a push for a play-off in the later stages

I also thought we played well and I was encouraged. However, I would prefer to see O'Grady instead of Hammond. I really hope that all the rumours are not true about him.

Is it all just rumour or does anyone actually have something solid?

Finally, I watched the game last night in York and I sat next to a Hull city fan who said that Elliott was shite

and not to bother with. He also said that the fans were pleased when Taylor left! I like Hull city fans more now.

Generally agree!!!

I was actually disapointed, we will never face an easier cov side, they (cov)were poor. I felt our passing was poor at times and Hammond was a major disapointed but the wide players did well.

Second half was the major gripe, RK for me played a more defensive formation, Hume was basically playing in midfield and all we did was hoof the ball forward, no composure in our play at all. I felt it was 2 points lost.

I can see that we will struggle away from home, we lack real confidence and a killer attitude that we have at home plus I feel RK likes the smash and grab idea!!!!

Our biggest problem seemed to be our lack of confidence to gamble on the final ball. Hammond was generally very poor and so that put all the pressure on Fryatt to produce something. Low was brilliant and as it was the first time i've seen him play Live I was really impressed by him. He got the ball in every time and the majority of times it was a dangerous cross, but every time there would be only 1 or 2 players in the box to attack it which against 4 or 5 cov defenders was never going to produce us with a goal. The defence were brilliant no quarms about them. I would like to see O'grady play now as Hammond isn't good enough and hume and fryatt have struggled to play together this season.

Personally I think it was a point gained, Coventry were poor but i'd have been happy with a point before the game.

I thought last night in attack we were just plain unlucky that we didn't get a lucky break and in defence throughout the game we were solid. I wouldn't say it was 2 points lost but the game was there for the taking, as this was the case for Coventry too. Plus, the people complaining about hoofball tactics must be patient and wait until later on in the season when we are in full flow. Plus this wasn't helped by Coventry lumping forward either.

Generally agree!!!

I was actually disapointed, we will never face an easier cov side, they (cov)were poor. I felt our passing was poor at times and Hammond was a major disapointed but the wide players did well.

Second half was the major gripe, RK for me played a more defensive formation, Hume was basically playing in midfield and all we did was hoof the ball forward, no composure in our play at all. I felt it was 2 points lost.

I can see that we will struggle away from home, we lack real confidence and a killer attitude that we have at home plus I feel RK likes the smash and grab idea!!!!

I wonder if RK will ever quite get over his fundamental instinct to be cautious. There's no doubt he seems to be trying but it's like he's standing on the top diving board at the swimming pool and just cannot bring himself to launch himself.

We were very unlucky not to win last night. I thought the defence looked reasonably solid throughout but we lacked the quality going forward to really make our possession count. On another night Fryatt may have got hat trick but his all round game was impressive. We just lack the bit of creativity in midfield to give the forwards the real support they need, although i was very impressed with Levi Porter I think he'll do ok for us.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Agree with every word.

I wonder too if it is time to give Conrad Logan his break. Macclesfield seems the perfect opportunity.

It is always difficult when there's so little chance to see a guy but his MoM and PLayer of the Month awards at Boston and his confident performance at Hinckley have made me wonder for a while.

First he seems much more dominant in the box but the other point is, as you mentioned, that Henderson's distribution is woeful. He invariably wastes the ball with a high punt to no-one and nowhere in particular instead of throwing the ball to feet or kicking with a lower trajectory to a City shirt.

Watch top goalkeepers and they almost claim the ball and distribute it to feet in the same movement - very swiftly - thus buying vital time for the defender receiving the ball.

I hope so, Henderson really is not good enough.

We might have been unlucky to draw but from Cov's perspective we were lucky to get a draw.I thnik they had the two best chances with the free kick clipping the post and Heath had a clear chance to put them ahead where as apart from one shot from Hume we never really tested their goalie.

They also had us in panic a few times inside the box with the ball ping ponging out of control.

I thought at times we played some nice football without really being incisive enough in the final third. In particular I thought the whole back four looked solid.

Porter is an obvious talent but his defensive play at times reminded me of Ryan Smith. The only reason he got a chance to block the shot after Hendo's cock up was because he totally misjudged his first attempt at winning it.

Johnson looks solid but clearly has not developed a clear understanding of his team mates yet. Hopefully that will come soon.

Hammond was as ever lacking one part of his game - talent.

Four points from four games is not the best start. but four points from two is a pleasing improvement.

Archived