Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Milan Mandaric has targeted leicester!

If the deal doesn't happen (which it is increasingly looking like it won't..)...

I dont know where people get this idea that the deal wont happen... its just people getting all upset over nothing if you ask me, the deal will go through, it'll just take even longer than it has already because of unforseen circumstances (ie. a very old woman falling down some steps and seriously hurting herself)... as for the threat of administration, the board have intermated that this might be a very real threat as we simply arent producing sufficent cash to support LCFC anymore and that means minus 10 at the start of the season and relegation... should the deal not go through that is.

Of course it is but there has to be balance struck otherwise you could argue that everyone should be signing £10million pound players irrespective of their financial situation.

Besides I don't recall the Board's answer to RK as being we haven't got the money, although we probably haven't they just said they couldn't help him, maybe that has more to do with the takeover than ability to pay, again probably not but as usual we can only guess.

Don't get me wrong I understand there are financial restraints when a takeover is going on, but surely the o'grady money could have been made available to help finance a loanee, but like you say we can only guess.

Well im keeping my fingers crossed after spending a night supporting Cheltenham Towns quiz night to raise funds for the club,including donating club shirts from teams across the country to flog on e-bay,it hit home how desperate it is with football clubs with zero cash,ive even donated my city shirt from 2000 wonder how much that will raise.

Besides I don't recall the Board's answer to RK as being we haven't got the money, although we probably haven't they just said they couldn't help him, maybe that has more to do with the takeover than ability to pay, again probably not but as usual we can only guess.

Reasonable guess. The purchase of JG would have had to be agreed by MM.

it'll just take even longer than it has already because of unforseen circumstances (ie. a very old woman falling down some steps and seriously hurting herself)...

Oddly, we had some fecker claim the same thing when buying one of our houses. When he later claimed that his ex-wife had died as an excuse to avoid signing, we guessed there was something amiss...

as for the threat of administration, the board have intermated that this might be a very real threat as we simply arent producing sufficent cash to support LCFC anymore

Really. When did I miss that?

I can't be arsed to find it now but I saw Apexgeo's reply earlier and I'd just like to say;

For f**k's sake!

Can't remember the specific points now but that was the gist of my mental response at the time.

Btw, which Croatian are you referring to?

As far as I know, Mandaric is Serbian (and American).

I for one remain puzzled why he can't sign the papers via fax if his lawyers have ironed out all the quirks etc...

I tried to say the same sort of thing but got labeled as rubbish. For a deal that is supposedbly all but done what is happening now doesnt make sense at all and what I have heard it isnt good news.

Sorry, but is any part of that actually based on fact?

Especially considering James Johnson (who is against the MM deal), said we were fairly stable.

James Johnson is in a childish strop and would probably say anything to praise the current board.

we are far from financially stable.

James Johnson is in a childish strop and would probably say anything to praise the current board.

we are far from financially stable.

We are as our debts are serviceable, might mean selling players but they can be managed.... CURRENTLY!! I'm not saying forever.

I tried to say the same sort of thing but got labeled as rubbish. For a deal that is supposedbly all but done what is happening now doesnt make sense at all and what I have heard it isnt good news.

Hey...there actually is someone else from planet earth on here...I was beginning to wonder! :whistle:

Just to add some perspective and a reminder that Pompey, with MM and Harry were heading our way. I know we're in the shit and with MM the only way is up (hopefully) but please don't bank on promotion or a sustained stay in the Premier League, football just ain't that simple.

LINK

When Harry Redknapp arrived at FA Cup fourth round weekend last season he was in no mood to appreciate the magic. Portsmouth had just been thumped 5-0 at Birmingham City, sat 19th in the Premiership and seemed certain for relegation. As Redknapp scrabbled for signings, Liverpool's visit offered no more than an unwanted distraction and certain defeat. "The Cup this time last year, we would have thrown it in," says the manager.

How times have changed. Portsmouth head to Manchester United today not just excited but undaunted. Sixth in the league with a revamped squad, they are no longer hurtling towards obscurity but on the rise. Last weekend's defeat by Charlton was a jolt but it featured Lauren's debut after joining from Arsenal and a year ago only a fantasist imagined him, David James and Sol Campbell at Fratton Park. Ambitions have shifted so dramatically that Champions League, not Championship, is now uttered in connection with the club."Our aim is very simple," says the chief executive, Peter Storrie. "If we continue as a club to always be in the top 10 of the Premiership then we are going to finish in Europe, we might nick into one of the Champions League places in one of those years, we will probably win some cups. That is where we want to be. We want to be in that top 10 and gradually continue it up to be a permanent top-six side."

Top six of the Championship appeared the best hope for this season when Portsmouth capitulated at Birmingham. It came in the midst of a run that brought one point from 24. "It was a low time," says Storrie. "We were bringing players in but knew it would take a while for people to settle down. Exactly that game was when I really thought we might go down."

Such fears have long gone. Redknapp is targeting the Uefa Cup, confirmation he feels Portsmouth's position, while unexpected, is not false. "It's been an amazing turnaround in a year," the manager says. "The quality of the players compared with this time last year is amazing - a completely different level. Suddenly you are looking at people like Sol Campbell and all the good players we have brought in. But you have to keep moving forward."

Redknapp wants to continue strengthening. If his appointment as Alain Perrin's successor 14 months ago provided a basis for revival, his work in the transfer marked has supplied lift-off. Nine players came last January, including Pedro Mendes and Sean Davis from Tottenham, Dean Kiely from Charlton and Andres D'Alessandro on loan from Wolfsburg. "It was a desperate month for us where we had to try to find some players," Redknapp says.

In early January Alexandre Gaydamak, now Portsmouth's sole owner, had become co-owner with Milan Mandaric. Some £7.5m was spent to buy players, with more poured into wages, including for loan signings. Storrie sees Gaydamak's entrance as critical. "If Alexandre hadn't done that this club would have been relegated," he says. "That's a certainty. If we hadn't had the funds to bring those players in, the club would have gone down."

The turning point did not come until March 11. A spectacular late Mendes goal defeated Manchester City at Fratton Park and suddenly supporters and players were lifted, with five wins and two draws from the next eight games securing safety. James was in goal for City and recalls the Portsmouth reaction to Mendes' strike.

"The fans were just mental," he says. "I drove home listening to TalkSport and Pompey fans were saying: 'We're going to stay up.' I just thought: I'll watch. I was tuning into TalkSport each week then listening to these happy Portsmouth fans."

James' arrival last summer demonstrated the fresh era at the club. He admits "Sol was the thing that steered me here," so the capture of Campbell in early August was arguably the next defining moment. "Sol came in, David James came in," Redknapp says, "and it sends a message to other players: if it's good enough for them it's good enough for us, it's a good place to play. I think that's been a key."

Redknapp's acquisitions also included Andy Cole, Kanu - whom he has rejuvenated - and Glen Johnson on loan from Chelsea. Portsmouth have a far from young team (six of the players who started last weekend were 30 or over and only Johnson was under 25) and their youth system needs improvement, but no one has come to unwind. Cole is frustrated at 35 not to be playing more and a conversation James had with Lauren convinced him Redknapp had obtained another player with a winning mentality.

"He said how much Jens Lehmann hates losing, even in training," James says. "You could tell by the way he said it he had so much admiration for him. I thought: 'That what I want to hear. I don't want anyone who comes here, and thinks: Ok, easy-oasy.' We all want to do well. With the arrival of a supposed billionaire owner the assumption was there was going to be £10m, £20m, £30m spent left, right and centre, which there hasn't been. That in itself is a testament to the team because players have come for the right reasons, not just massive wages and transfer fees."

The only fees paid this month have been £500,000 for Lauren, whose arrival brought the number of players at the club with Champions League final experience to six, and £1m to Charlton for Djimi Traoré. Last summer about £5m went on fees and it is suggested there is little money at Portsmouth. "Nonsense," says Storrie. "We have brought in top quality players who you pay big wages for. Therefore you have to look at what's happening to the wage bill and transfers as one allowance."

The wage bill has more than doubled in a year and Storrie says Redknapp chose Campbell, a free, over defenders who commanded hefty fees. "A prime example is Traoré," he says. "We discussed with Harry a left-back in France who was going to be €5m (£3.3m) or €6m, but Harry changed his mind when Traoré became available. Alexandre supports whatever Harry wants to do. His aim is to push the club on and off the field."

Training facilities remain basic but a building has been put up with dressing- and physio rooms, a gym and offices for the management team. A 55-acre site has been purchased for a training complex and a new stadium is on the agenda, with a review ongoing on whether to redevelop the existing site or look elsewhere.

Add fresh sponsors attracted by the revival and there is optimism unthinkable a year ago when that fourth-round tie was lost. Even a similar result at Old Trafford today would not puncture that.

I can't be arsed to find it now but I saw Apexgeo's reply earlier and I'd just like to say;

For f**k's sake!

Can't remember the specific points now but that was the gist of my mental response at the time.

PMSL Thanks for that mate. I dont know which post or what points made you feel this way but I`ll join you in saying the same thing about that apexgeo`s dodgy post! :D:P

Does anyone know of the condition of mama Mandaric??

Just to add some perspective and a reminder that Pompey, with MM and Harry were heading our way. I know we're in the shit and with MM the only way is up (hopefully) but please don't bank on promotion or a sustained stay in the Premier League, football just ain't that simple.

LINK

When Harry Redknapp arrived at FA Cup fourth round weekend last season he was in no mood to appreciate the magic. Portsmouth had just been thumped 5-0 at Birmingham City, sat 19th in the Premiership and seemed certain for relegation. As Redknapp scrabbled for signings, Liverpool's visit offered no more than an unwanted distraction and certain defeat. "The Cup this time last year, we would have thrown it in," says the manager.

How times have changed. Portsmouth head to Manchester United today not just excited but undaunted. Sixth in the league with a revamped squad, they are no longer hurtling towards obscurity but on the rise. Last weekend's defeat by Charlton was a jolt but it featured Lauren's debut after joining from Arsenal and a year ago only a fantasist imagined him, David James and Sol Campbell at Fratton Park. Ambitions have shifted so dramatically that Champions League, not Championship, is now uttered in connection with the club."Our aim is very simple," says the chief executive, Peter Storrie. "If we continue as a club to always be in the top 10 of the Premiership then we are going to finish in Europe, we might nick into one of the Champions League places in one of those years, we will probably win some cups. That is where we want to be. We want to be in that top 10 and gradually continue it up to be a permanent top-six side."

Top six of the Championship appeared the best hope for this season when Portsmouth capitulated at Birmingham. It came in the midst of a run that brought one point from 24. "It was a low time," says Storrie. "We were bringing players in but knew it would take a while for people to settle down. Exactly that game was when I really thought we might go down."

Such fears have long gone. Redknapp is targeting the Uefa Cup, confirmation he feels Portsmouth's position, while unexpected, is not false. "It's been an amazing turnaround in a year," the manager says. "The quality of the players compared with this time last year is amazing - a completely different level. Suddenly you are looking at people like Sol Campbell and all the good players we have brought in. But you have to keep moving forward."

Redknapp wants to continue strengthening. If his appointment as Alain Perrin's successor 14 months ago provided a basis for revival, his work in the transfer marked has supplied lift-off. Nine players came last January, including Pedro Mendes and Sean Davis from Tottenham, Dean Kiely from Charlton and Andres D'Alessandro on loan from Wolfsburg. "It was a desperate month for us where we had to try to find some players," Redknapp says.

In early January Alexandre Gaydamak, now Portsmouth's sole owner, had become co-owner with Milan Mandaric. Some £7.5m was spent to buy players, with more poured into wages, including for loan signings. Storrie sees Gaydamak's entrance as critical. "If Alexandre hadn't done that this club would have been relegated," he says. "That's a certainty. If we hadn't had the funds to bring those players in, the club would have gone down."

The turning point did not come until March 11. A spectacular late Mendes goal defeated Manchester City at Fratton Park and suddenly supporters and players were lifted, with five wins and two draws from the next eight games securing safety. James was in goal for City and recalls the Portsmouth reaction to Mendes' strike.

"The fans were just mental," he says. "I drove home listening to TalkSport and Pompey fans were saying: 'We're going to stay up.' I just thought: I'll watch. I was tuning into TalkSport each week then listening to these happy Portsmouth fans."

James' arrival last summer demonstrated the fresh era at the club. He admits "Sol was the thing that steered me here," so the capture of Campbell in early August was arguably the next defining moment. "Sol came in, David James came in," Redknapp says, "and it sends a message to other players: if it's good enough for them it's good enough for us, it's a good place to play. I think that's been a key."

Redknapp's acquisitions also included Andy Cole, Kanu - whom he has rejuvenated - and Glen Johnson on loan from Chelsea. Portsmouth have a far from young team (six of the players who started last weekend were 30 or over and only Johnson was under 25) and their youth system needs improvement, but no one has come to unwind. Cole is frustrated at 35 not to be playing more and a conversation James had with Lauren convinced him Redknapp had obtained another player with a winning mentality.

"He said how much Jens Lehmann hates losing, even in training," James says. "You could tell by the way he said it he had so much admiration for him. I thought: 'That what I want to hear. I don't want anyone who comes here, and thinks: Ok, easy-oasy.' We all want to do well. With the arrival of a supposed billionaire owner the assumption was there was going to be £10m, £20m, £30m spent left, right and centre, which there hasn't been. That in itself is a testament to the team because players have come for the right reasons, not just massive wages and transfer fees."

The only fees paid this month have been £500,000 for Lauren, whose arrival brought the number of players at the club with Champions League final experience to six, and £1m to Charlton for Djimi Traoré. Last summer about £5m went on fees and it is suggested there is little money at Portsmouth. "Nonsense," says Storrie. "We have brought in top quality players who you pay big wages for. Therefore you have to look at what's happening to the wage bill and transfers as one allowance."

The wage bill has more than doubled in a year and Storrie says Redknapp chose Campbell, a free, over defenders who commanded hefty fees. "A prime example is Traoré," he says. "We discussed with Harry a left-back in France who was going to be €5m (£3.3m) or €6m, but Harry changed his mind when Traoré became available. Alexandre supports whatever Harry wants to do. His aim is to push the club on and off the field."

Training facilities remain basic but a building has been put up with dressing- and physio rooms, a gym and offices for the management team. A 55-acre site has been purchased for a training complex and a new stadium is on the agenda, with a review ongoing on whether to redevelop the existing site or look elsewhere.

Add fresh sponsors attracted by the revival and there is optimism unthinkable a year ago when that fourth-round tie was lost. Even a similar result at Old Trafford today would not puncture that.

Great..so all we need is MM's money (unlikely) and Harry Redknapp (even less likely)..O and 15 new players! :blink:

This is taking a very long time... :whistle:

Nevermind. Screw them. Selling the fans for dumb.

Professional management? lol

Humour's the only way forward.

Or irony. Or sarcasm.

As long as you can laugh about such a ridiculous situation, it's all good.

Nevermind. Screw them. Selling the fans for dumb.

Professional management? lol

Humour's the only way forward.

Or irony. Or sarcasm.

As long as you can laugh about such a ridiculous situation, it's all good.

I need lots of humour today :whistle:

LINK

oh right so you want the club to go backwards and do what we did under MON & micky adams and buy to many over 30's to see us relegated in a couple of years time, and left with nothing better than we have now again, lets 10's of millions for a 3 year success to drop and end up in the chapionship totaly casumbled and in debt once again. :thumbup: sounds fun lets do it :P

oh right so you want the club to go backwards and do what we did under MON & micky adams and buy to many over 30's to see us relegated in a couple of years time, and left with nothing better than we have now again, lets 10's of millions for a 3 year success to drop and end up in the chapionship totaly casumbled and in debt once again. :thumbup: sounds fun lets do it :P

WTF are you on about?

WTF are you on about?

well u posted that as if you wanted it to happen to us! portsmouth are doing well now, but like it says there youth system is shocking and 90% of there squad are over 30 itl last about 2-3 years then they l drop and be like us. why would we want that? id much prefer to see us stay where we are build a young squad and go up with that where the success will last 5-6 years rather than 2-3. thats all.

Archived