Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

New Sports Director

I'm not saying hes gonna die! Just he might not want to work in his 70's!

I just think its a part of the structure of the club which needs to be solid otherwise each time you appoint a new chief scout/technical director/whaever they will want to rejig things. Normally the best in this role are those who have been at their clubs a while - Gwyn Williams when he was a t Chelsea, Steve Rowley at Arse for example.

Before anyone says it I'm not comparing us to Arsenal/Chelsea but at the risk of sounding like Thracian theres no harm in aiming high.

But like I said I am happy with the appointment it was just an off the cuff remark

I'd worry more about MM then if i were you, because if he snuffs it we're buggered, you can always appoint a new DOF but finding someone who's prepared to put money in will be harder.

:o Never heard of Don Mackay.

If it's the Don Mackay I Know he's a legend amongst most old pro's.

Decent appointment with I'd guess quite a lot of contacts.

Do you mean Dave Mackay?

Richie Norman (DavieG and Thracian might remember) must be in his mid 70s and still coaches at my college.

Slightly different standard but same principle.

I remember him well.

Richie%20Norman.jpgNearest the ground

You youngsters................Don Mackay was assistant to Bobby Gould at Coventry, eventually taking over. He was also manager at Blackburn but was sacked to make way for Kenny Dalglish when Jack Walker took over. Can't see where Milan is coming from here to be honest. Just don't let him near the playing side.

Good appointment, only downside is he's 67

Why does a predjudicial comment like this go by with only mild rebuke, yet if sexual or racial slurs were made, there would be an outrage?

I am probably the oldest on this forum and I think I can rest easy with my intellect. Having spent most of my career in management and the last 20 years at a very senior level of a public company, I think that my experience and knowledge could help many businesses in an advisory capacity; unfortunately predjudices like yours, keep people like me out of work.

I'd worry more about MM then if i were you, because if he snuffs it we're buggered, you can always appoint a new DOF but finding someone who's prepared to put money in will be harder.

there is always that american consortium :P

Why does a predjudicial comment like this go by with only mild rebuke, yet if sexual or racial slurs were made, there would be an outrage?

I am probably the oldest on this forum and I think I can rest easy with my intellect. Having spent most of my career in management and the last 20 years at a very senior level of a public company, I think that my experience and knowledge could help many businesses in an advisory capacity; unfortunately predjudices like yours, keep people like me out of work.

And Me!

Don't try and make the comment something its not. My point was that he might not want to be in the job that long, and form our point of view someone who could do the role in the long term (10+ years) would be the ideal.

Don't try and make the comment something its not. My point was that he might not want to be in the job that long, and form our point of view someone who could do the role in the long term (10+ years) would be the ideal.

Fine but that judgement was based wholly and solely on his age though. :huh::unsure::whistle:;):thumbup:

I'm sure Mr Mackay will be touched by your concern but I'm sure he'll cope. :whistle: Now I must get on as I have just shat my kecks and I can hear the tea lady approaching.

While I take your point, you cannot compare ageism with racism and sexism. The reason being while there is no evidence whatsoever that your race or sex impacts you ability to do your job, there is endless evidence that age impacts on your ability to do many things, one of which is think straight. 67 isn't very old, but you would have reason to question whether a 67 year old was at the top of their intellectual capacity. You might well be wrong, and if Milan thinks Don can cut it I suspect he is right, but you would have reason to question it.

While I take your point, you cannot compare ageism with racism and sexism. The reason being while there is no evidence whatsoever that your race or sex impacts you ability to do your job, there is endless evidence that age impacts on your ability to do many things, one of which is think straight. 67 isn't very old, but you would have reason to question whether a 67 year old was at the top of their intellectual capacity. You might well be wrong, and if Milan thinks Don can cut it I suspect he is right, but you would have reason to question it.

I wasn't.

Are you telling me that potential employers in Britain are allowed to discriminate on age? I doubt it.

I give it a rest as its somewhat off topic.

Well obviously, what else would I base it on?
Are you telling me that potential employers in Britain are allowed to discriminate on age?

In the UK it is ILLEGAL to discriminate based on age.

Archived