Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

New Sports Director

Posted by RN Fox on another forum. ;):thumbup:

New Sports Director

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He was appointed yesterday, his name is Don Mckay and he used to be at Arsenal and Middlesborough.

This is the run down on the chap who's currently Chief Scout at Middlesborough

Whos-Who

Don Mackay

DON was appointed Chief European Scout last season after filling a similar role at Arsenal, where he uncovered a youthful Freddie Ljungberg.

He is vastly experienced as a manager and coach. After a successful playing career with Dundee United and Southend, he began by coaching the Bristol City youth team between 1974 to 1978.

He then took up his first management post with Danish side Norresundby, taking them into the national league.

He returned to Scotland in 1980 to manage Dundee, winning promotion and raching the League Cup final.

Between 1984 to 1986 he was in charge at Coventry City before a brief stint as reserve team coach to Graeme Souness at Glasgow Rangers.

He won the Full Members Cup at Wembley with Blackburn, taking them to the First Division play-offs three times between 1987 and 1991 and laying the basis for the successful promotion squad.

His next stop was Fulham, where he spent three seasons before the arrival of new owner Mohammed Al Fayed.

More recently he has been Director of Football at Airdrie, where his squad won the Scottish Challenge Cup.

Sounds like a good appointment to me. He has been working at lots of good clubs and what we really need at the club is someone with good scouting experience. Could be a really shrewd appointment.

I'm happy with the the appointment of the Don. The setup is steadily starting to come across as very professional

This is the run down on the chap who's currently Chief Scout at Middlesborough

DON was appointed Chief European Scout last season after filling a similar role at Arsenal, where he uncovered a youthful Freddie Ljungberg

So he has scouted for at least a couple of years across Europe for Premiership clubs, so must surely come armed with a list of potential signings in every position in the team.

Should have seen some who were "maybe's" for the Prem, who look good enough for our League with the potential to go to a higher level.

Makes perfect sense this appointment, given the lack of scouting abroad at our club in recent seasons.

It's a tick in the Milan positive column for me

Good appointment, only downside is he's 67

Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon, Newcastle, Eindhoven and Porto all appointed managers aged over 60.

The same one too!

Age shouldn't matter really he'll be sat behind a desk or away scouting most of the time!

Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon, Newcastle, Eindhoven and Porto all appointed managers aged over 60.

The same one too!

Age shouldn't matter really he'll be sat behind a desk or away scouting most of the time!

Plus we don't have to pay for transport as he can use his bus pass.

Ideally I would want someone who could be with the club a decade or so - perhaps he will but I can't see it. Not a major problem though, just a minor niggle for me.

:blink:

I hope he doesn't hear your prognostication of his impending demise...

:blink:

I hope he doesn't hear your prognostication of his impending demise...

I'm not saying hes gonna die! Just he might not want to work in his 70's!

I just think its a part of the structure of the club which needs to be solid otherwise each time you appoint a new chief scout/technical director/whaever they will want to rejig things. Normally the best in this role are those who have been at their clubs a while - Gwyn Williams when he was a t Chelsea, Steve Rowley at Arse for example.

Before anyone says it I'm not comparing us to Arsenal/Chelsea but at the risk of sounding like Thracian theres no harm in aiming high.

But like I said I am happy with the appointment it was just an off the cuff remark

Archived