Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chili_con_carne

Left Back

I think the left side generally is the only area which now needs strengthening. I have faith in Mattock but it will be a big ask of a 17 year old rookie to last an entire season.

I've heard he's grounded for the first 2 weeks of the season, so forget that.

I seriously doubt whether Mattock is good enough to play 40 odd games next year as first place left back. He is a decent back up and showed glimpses of quality towards the end of last season, but he's not the finished article. What happened to Morfaw?

And why do you doubt that? As far as I can remember, Mattock was given man of the match by some on here in about 3 of the 4 games he played for us. Ok, so it might have been a purple patch but i'm inclined to think Mattock is actually destined for a very good career as a footballer. Our gain hopefully.

And why do you doubt that? As far as I can remember, Mattock was given man of the match by some on here in about 3 of the 4 games he played for us. Ok, so it might have been a purple patch but i'm inclined to think Mattock is actually destined for a very good career as a footballer. Our gain hopefully.

...... plus Gareth Bale managed as many games at the same age. ;):thumbup:

Chambers can play left back. Maybury and Kenton are still here at the moment and we are not sure that if they will find clubs for this season so we have adequate cover for now. I haven't seen Hellings play so far in pre-season but I thought that he could play in that possie too??

Chambers can play left back. Maybury and Kenton are still here at the moment and we are not sure that if they will find clubs for this season so we have adequate cover for now. I haven't seen Hellings play so far in pre-season but I thought that he could play in that possie too??

I really do hope that we've gone past the stage of playing right footers at left back. Yes I know that Chambers can play left back, but surely it would make more sense that if Mattock isn't going to play every game then we get a left back in.

I really do hope that we've gone past the stage of playing right footers at left back. Yes I know that Chambers can play left back, but surely it would make more sense that if Mattock isn't going to play every game then we get a left back in.

I wouldnt be put off players playing left-back who are right footed just because of Maybury who hadnt mastered the position at all. Phil Neville did it will for Man Utd a while back and Gallas for Chelsea. If the player concerned keeps coming inside and hoofs it up then he needs shooting. Chambers could act as cover and hopefully play the position well and much better than Maybury ever could.

I think the left side generally is the only area which now needs strengthening. I have faith in Mattock but it will be a big ask of a 17 year old rookie to last an entire season.

Ironically Leicester's Finest Fox thought our left side looked the strongest part of our side against Hinckley.

If there's a brilliant left-back available any manager would consider him but Mattock/Sheehan/Beswick have looked perfectly adequate so far and I'd quite imagine Jonathan Hayes could turn his hand to the position in an emergency.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he's soon given some experience in the roll because it's declared policy of MA to get all players familiar with playing in different positions.

Besdies with the emerging Mattock so clearly marked as a major force in our future any matching quality player (if he could be found) would cause as many problems as it would solve.

So long as Sheehan maintains his fitness, form and enthusiasm I see him as a well-involved supporting player in the position.

Ironically Leicester's Finest Fox thought our left side looked the strongest part of our side against Hinckley.

If there's a brilliant left-back available any manager would consider him but Mattock/Sheehan/Beswick have looked perfectly adequate so far and I'd quite imagine Jonathan Hayes could turn his hand to the position in an emergency.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he's soon given some experience in the roll because it's declared policy of MA to get all players familiar with playing in different positions.

Besdies with the emerging Mattock so clearly marked as a major force in our future any matching quality player (if he could be found) would cause as many problems as it would solve.

So long as Sheehan maintains his fitness, form and enthusiasm I see him as a well-involved supporting player in the position.

At times when Sheehan pushed beyond Hayes on Tuesday, Hayes then slotted into the left back posistion which i thought was good to see, meant they were communicating and had a good understanding.

At times when Sheehan pushed beyond Hayes on Tuesday, Hayes then slotted into the left back posistion which i thought was good to see, meant they were communicating and had a good understanding.

Spot on and it was the same with Mattock/Sheehan at Quorn. Players are much more fluidly used in MA's teams. Hayes made the first goal at Hinckley from the right and Newton was always popping up in central midfield to give examples.

Spot on and it was the same with Mattock/Sheehan at Quorn. Players are much more fluidly used in MA's teams. Hayes made the first goal at Hinckley from the right and Newton was always popping up in central midfield to give examples.

Oh here we go, the idea of it being "someone's team" in a friendly against a Meat Alternative.

I remember this from when "a Stowell team" beat Hinckley 5-0.

Now a few kids have beaten Quorn 2-0 and they're "an Allen team". :D I love it.

When Newton took a corner Hayes filled in on the right hand side, with Newton staying on the left, until the time was right to swap back, instead of swapping back with the ball in play :thumbup:

'adequate' isn't good enough. I don't care how good the left side was against Hinckley, I'll be more concerned when Michael Kightly et al are bombing down that flank. Saying Sheehan and Beswick are adequate is like saying that Dodds/Odhiambo are adequate choices for a striking berth.

We need to sign a Left Back, Sheehans a ****ing liabilty when playing against anyone with talent.

i'm inclined to agree although i hate to sound too negative over a player i've only seen a handfull of times. What worries me is our left sided players are Mattock (17), Sheehan (20?), Hayes (19?) and Porter (20?). They are ALL too inexperienced (not just because of their ages), playing 1 would/should be fine - maybe 2 occasionally, but for a whole 46 game season that's asking a lot of them. I'm not saying we need old players or anything that uneducated, but how many Championship gams do they have between them? 25? They're unproven. I really think Mttock will be a success but i'm not convinced by the others (hayes i've not seen, Porter can be exciting but goes on and off the boil).

And Kenton and Maybury are NOT left backs, they're awful there (and they're transfer listed anyway)

i'm inclined to agree although i hate to sound too negative over a player i've only seen a handfull of times. What worries me is our left sided players are Mattock (17), Sheehan (20?), Hayes (19?) and Porter (20?). They are ALL too inexperienced (not just because of their ages), playing 1 would/should be fine - maybe 2 occasionally, but for a whole 46 game season that's asking a lot of them. I'm not saying we need old players or anything that uneducated, but how many Championship gams do they have between them? 25? They're unproven. I really think Mttock will be a success but i'm not convinced by the others (hayes i've not seen, Porter can be exciting but goes on and off the boil).

And Kenton and Maybury are NOT left backs, they're awful there (and they're transfer listed anyway)

Good point but how are they going to get experience if they aren't given the oppurtunity to play?

'adequate' isn't good enough. I don't care how good the left side was against Hinckley, I'll be more concerned when Michael Kightly et al are bombing down that flank. Saying Sheehan and Beswick are adequate is like saying that Dodds/Odhiambo are adequate choices for a striking berth.

I'd argue but I'm off to Mansfield for a soaking. :D

Archived