Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wooly

Squad for Scotland

I'm disgusted with the squad for Scotland.

Firstly, why the hell are they going to that midge-infested hellhole?

Secondly, where are all the world-beaters that I expected Mandaric to sign?

Something should be done :angry:

You have to remember not every Leicester fan sees things like you.

A lot of people would never have heard of him before, seen him against Villa and thought he wasn't ready. I don't think you can blame them for judging him on that performance because he looked totally out of his depth. They had nothing else to go on. It's not that they didn't think he was a good player, he just didn't look ready. Given that he's never even played reserve-team football, I'd say they were right. And even you don't think he should be one of our main three strikers this season, let alone last season. He's got plenty of time and if he gets some game time this season, we'll see whether he's up to it.

To be honest it'll be hard to know how good he really is until he gets the chance of a few games - the same as Billy McKay, Andy King and Max Gradel. But I think all four are on a par with most of our new signings to date.

But on your point about reaction to young players you're right that some fans had little or nothing to go on.

But the fans reaction to locals can be different to that of new signings nevertheless.

Unknown Academy youngster comes on and has a few problems and some are quick to say "he's not ready", "we should stick to experience".

New signing comes in and suffers the same sort of problems and its "give him time to settle" and "he's not adjusted to the Championship yet".

It's a lot better now, admittedly.

Any number of posters have spoken well of Wesolowski, Mattock, Sheehan, Stearman and Odhiambo during the pre-season programme and given decent ratings to some others like Gradel, Porter and McKay. Perhaps it's because those emerging now have achieved things and are better known.

But not everyone is encouraging. Whether there's mistrust of youthful inexperience or whether home grown players don't seem as glamourous and therefore as good as imported signings I don't know. But a dismissive undercurrent still flows from a few as when Porter was left out of the Scotland squad.

It is almost as if some don't want him to establish himself in the first team and I've no idea why anyone would think like that.

But the fans reaction to locals can be different to that of new signings nevertheless.

Unknown Academy youngster comes on and has a few problems and some are quick to say "he's not ready", "we should stick to experience".

New signing comes in and suffers the same sort of problems and its "give him time to settle" and "he's not adjusted to the Championship yet".

I think this is all in your head.

No-one gave much time to Low, Horsfield, Johnson, Kenton, Douglas, Hammond, Gerrbrand, Sylla, Welsh, Yeates, Jarrett, Moore, Brevett... and they're not giving much time to Nielsen or Hellings so far either.

I don't know where this sudden dislike of Porter has come from but most people were absolutely loving him last season. They only got on O'Grady's back because he was quite simply a dreadful football player. Logan gets a lot of support. Wesolowski is one of the most popular players in the squad. Stearman is still being backed despite a very poor season.

But not everyone is encouraging. Whether there's mistrust of youthful inexperience or whether home grown players don't seem as glamourous and therefore as good as imported signings I don't know. But a dismissive undercurrent still flows from a few as when Porter was left out of the Scotland squad.

It is almost as if some don't want him to establish himself in the first team and I've no idea why anyone would think like that.

I think this is in response to your overhyping of the player. Porter didn't do too badly last season. There are question marks over certain aspects of his play, as there are over all the players in our squad. It will be interesting to see what happens over the coming season. The negative feedback is a response to your posts, where you make wild overhyped statements. It is no surprise that as you overhype his ability and performances, responses are equally overhyped about the negative side of his performances.

In fact, most of the negative feedback against our youth players can be traced right back to your continual, unswerving, overhyping, wild claims through rose-tinted glasses view of our youth players. Who on here would waste time slating Louis Dodds, a player who has come nowhere near to a first team place, were it not for your hyping him as the answer to our goal scoring problems.

The ribbing of Porter is a REACTION (and you should know all about being reactionary - it's pretty much your trade) to your constant overstatement of how good/effective he is.

Quite simply - you're hystrionics about how amazing he is, despite a number of glaringly awful performances last season, don't do anything to help Porter... and nor do they enhance your own credibility.

The sooner you appreciate this, the better.

I think this is in response to your overhyping of the player. Porter didn't do too badly last season. There are question marks over certain aspects of his play, as there are over all the players in our squad. It will be interesting to see what happens over the coming season. The negative feedback is a response to your posts, where you make wild overhyped statements. It is no surprise that as you overhype his ability and performances, responses are equally overhyped about the negative side of his performances.

In fact, most of the negative feedback against our youth players can be traced right back to your continual, unswerving, overhyping, wild claims through rose-tinted glasses view of our youth players. Who on here would waste time slating Louis Dodds, a player who has come nowhere near to a first team place, were it not for your hyping him as the answer to our goal scoring problems.

We'll probably never know about Dodds - but I'd say the fact that having Logan, Mattock, Sheehan, Porter, and Odhiambo following Stearman and Wesolowski into a first team shirt hardly represents over-hype.

Nor does the Under 18's winning of the Academy Youth League and the County Cup.

No-one ever said these players were the finished article or had nothing to learn. I've campaigned on their behalf and taken endless amounts of mocking vitriol because I believed they, represented a better way forward, a better style of football, were right on our doorstep and wouldn't cost a penny in transfer fees.

That view has been vindicated. I don't see that any one of them has let anyone down, quite the contrary. Some have even started to put a broad smile back on fans' faces and others like McKay, Andy King, Gradel and Ashley Chambers can follow suit.

Indeed when I look now at the type of "Proper Football" MA is trying to play and the number of terrific youngsters we'll have next season in first team, reserves and Academy, far from being apologetic, I'm absolutely delighted.

I said MM metaphorically stole this club and I'm even more certain of that now...but glad because he's been the catalyst for changing mere hope into achieveable possibility.

It seems we have now ditched the dross and would appear to have finally abandoned the negative, defensive, uninspiring Burnley-away-type approach that resulted in some of the worst teams and worst football I have ever seen played in the name of Leicester City.

And to me the part our youngsters have already played and will be playing in this landmark season of re-emergence should be celebrated - not diluted by accusations of over-hype.

I don't really see it that way Thracian. I agree with some of your comments, but they often overstep the mark in terms of lack of impartiality, and hyperbole.

You say you're view has been vindicated but I don't really see how that is completely true - th eplayers you have hyped the most, in my my view, are Dodds, Sheehan, Porter, King and Gradel. Now only one of those has played in the first team enough to really have an impact, and whilst I think Levi is a decent player, he is certainly not the midfield general you portray him as. I might not have seen him as much as you have, but thats the point - I will base my view of players on what I see myself. Noone on here is going to convince me 100%, I like to make up my own mind but you can't seem to accpet that this is how most people, I think, make their judgements.

I have seen Levi be MOTM in one game, good in 4/5 and mediocre in the rest. My view is he is a decent squad player but if we are challenging for promotion we could do with a better option. You probably don't agree fair enough, but the only thing thats going to convince me otherwise is what I see of Levi on a Saturday, not previous performances or posts on foxestalk.

As usual it takes the vast majority a fair bit of time to cop on to what was being said by the rebel few have bee saying for months.

No one is gloating about Porter, just purely stating that he is infact utter gut rot (his performance against Derby was enough to rip up any pro's contract) and he has no place whatsoever at Leicester City FC, Academy product or not.

From tonights Leicester Mercury.

De Vries handed chance to shine

by Bill Anderson

Mark de Vries has been given the challenge of restoring himself to the Leicester City set-up.

The Dutch striker has been named in the 20-man squad for the two-game trip to Scotland, which forms the next part of the pre-season build-up.

The City party jetted to their west coast base at Troon today, transfer-listed De Vries returning to the country where he made his main impact with Hearts.

New City manager Martin Allen has praised the 31-year-old during the build-up, so it was no surprise to see him named.

Allen's early impressions were always going to be revealed in his selection for this week's programme. It is the first major selection of the pre-season and the indications are clear.

Of the 12 new signings, Carl Cort misses out through a hamstring injury. Teenager Ricky Sappleton stays behind while Hossein Kaebi is still on Asian Cup duty with Iran.

Young prospects Joe Mattock and Eric Odhiambo travel, underlining their emerging talent.

But transfer-listed players Rab Douglas, Stephen Hughes, Elvis Hammond, Darren Kenton and Alan Maybury will stay in Leicester, and there was no place for Levi Porter or Louis Dodds.

Allen, who saw his side beat Notts County on Saturday, said: “Some have been left behind because I don't think they have done enough to get into the squad.

“We are going to train hard and there will be a lot of hard work off the pitch as well.

“They will be walking along the beach at seven o'clock every morning before breakfast, which will be fun, and they might be doing that at random times during the day too.

“This trip steps things up a gear again. Tomorrow night's game against Partick Thistle will be very competitive.

“But, apart from Carl Cort, who will be out for two weeks, we are in good shape.''

Allen added: “On Saturday, Stephen Clemence got some more time on the pitch which he needed.

“While the fitness and preparation are important, it is time to get down to working towards my main line-up.''

Saturday's starting formation, like some previous ones, did not look too far away with just Kisnorbo and Kaebi to add although new signings are still being sought.

Chairman Milan Mandaric told Sky Sports News: “We're still looking to improve the squad and we need a creative midfielder and defender.

“We still could make three or four new signings before the start of the season.''

City saw Cardiff land Robbie Fowler over the weekend, so another striker may well be in their sights.

But, with Allen seeing positive signs in de Vries, the urgency in that position might decrease.

We'll probably never know about Dodds - but I'd say the fact that having Logan, Mattock, Sheehan, Porter, and Odhiambo following Stearman and Wesolowski into a first team shirt hardly represents over-hype.

Nor does the Under 18's winning of the Academy Youth League and the County Cup.

No-one ever said these players were the finished article or had nothing to learn. I've campaigned on their behalf and taken endless amounts of mocking vitriol because I believed they, represented a better way forward, a better style of football, were right on our doorstep and wouldn't cost a penny in transfer fees.

That view has been vindicated. I don't see that any one of them has let anyone down, quite the contrary. Some have even started to put a broad smile back on fans' faces and others like McKay, Andy King, Gradel and Ashley Chambers can follow suit.

Indeed when I look now at the type of "Proper Football" MA is trying to play and the number of terrific youngsters we'll have next season in first team, reserves and Academy, far from being apologetic, I'm absolutely delighted.

I said MM metaphorically stole this club and I'm even more certain of that now...but glad because he's been the catalyst for changing mere hope into achieveable possibility.

It seems we have now ditched the dross and would appear to have finally abandoned the negative, defensive, uninspiring Burnley-away-type approach that resulted in some of the worst teams and worst football I have ever seen played in the name of Leicester City.

And to me the part our youngsters have already played and will be playing in this landmark season of re-emergence should be celebrated - not diluted by accusations of over-hype.

You didn't read my post did you.

I mentioned nothing of the academy or ability of the youth team, other than a statement that Porter has a few question marks over certain aspects of his game, but other than that did well last season.

You still don't respond to the central issue which is that people have taken negative positions or written negative swipes against certain young players as a swipe at your posts. Football is about opinions, but when you consistently make overblown statements about the ability of a player, then expect a response just as exaggerated against your opinion.

Point in case. What has Dodds done to deserve posts along the lines of, "I look forward to him finding his level at Rochdale." Absolutely nothing, he's probably a decent lad. The only reason posts like this occur is because of your posts hailing him as the coming messiah. It is one thing to post I think he should be given a chance, or I'd like to see him get a go, compared to banging the drum and hailing him as better than Hume, Fryatt and others, backed up by nothing but opinion, whilst then when he performs badly on loan, blindly ignoring it or blaming the manager of the club.

Same with Porter, what has he done to receive posts gloating at his emission from the squad going to Scotland. Answer, nothing. He performed well last season, all things considered. However, again, when you ignore the times he has bad performances and put a positive spin over everything that he does, good or bad. When you blame tactics not set-up for him (as if he is Ronaldinho deserving of the team playing around him), or lack of defensive cover, when everyone in the team is working under the same conditions, then it reinforces a belief that he is your chosen man, similar to Kelly's chosen men that you so despised. In short, you are building up a figure for others to knockdown.

Although, as an educated man and somebody who has worked in the world of journalism, I suspect you know all of this, so are you really just a wind-up merchant?

You didn't read my post did you.

I mentioned nothing of the academy or ability of the youth team, other than a statement that Porter has a few question marks over certain aspects of his game, but other than that did well last season.

You still don't respond to the central issue which is that people have taken negative positions or written negative swipes against certain young players as a swipe at your posts. Football is about opinions, but when you consistently make overblown statements about the ability of a player, then expect a response just as exaggerated against your opinion.

Point in case. What has Dodds done to deserve posts along the lines of, "I look forward to him finding his level at Rochdale." Absolutely nothing, he's probably a decent lad. The only reason posts like this occur is because of your posts hailing him as the coming messiah. It is one thing to post I think he should be given a chance, or I'd like to see him get a go, compared to banging the drum and hailing him as better than Hume, Fryatt and others, backed up by nothing but opinion, whilst then when he performs badly on loan, blindly ignoring it or blaming the manager of the club.

Same with Porter, what has he done to receive posts gloating at his emission from the squad going to Scotland. Answer, nothing. He performed well last season, all things considered. However, again, when you ignore the times he has bad performances and put a positive spin over everything that he does, good or bad. When you blame tactics not set-up for him (as if he is Ronaldinho deserving of the team playing around him), or lack of defensive cover, when everyone in the team is working under the same conditions, then it reinforces a belief that he is your chosen man, similar to Kelly's chosen men that you so despised. In short, you are building up a figure for others to knockdown.

Although, as an educated man and somebody who has worked in the world of journalism, I suspect you know all of this, so are you really just a wind-up merchant?

I've never suggested Dodds was a wonder striker - only that he was being overlooked in favour of people who were either not as good or who weren't fit enough to do any good. Basically Horsfield and Fryatt if I recall.

Events totally justified that view. Horsfield was neither fit nor any good and Fryatt wasn't fit or in form. The point was, as you say, repeated, because the manager kept on picking Horsfield or Fryatt with the same disappointing consequences.

Not sure what you're getting at with Porter but I et the point of what you're saying clearly enough but still cannot understand why people don't respond by ridiculing my argument rather than unfairly (as you'd agree) taking it out on a player.

As for Porter being my "chosen man", right now I think he's better than Hayes on the wing for lots of reasons, despite being an attacking central midfielder. If Hayes' form improves I'll be happy to say so and if MA signs a genuinely fast, direct, goalscoring left winger you'll quickly see whether Porter's he a "Chosen Man".

But I don't think it is only response to my views that's knocking back Porter. People have had a go at him for non football reasons and where, with their heroes like Walsh and Worthington, they'll ignore it, with non-heroes like Porter they won't.

Fairness in football has its own rules. :rolleyes:

Good post though. With a non wind-up response I hope. :D

Why doesn't he just have his hamstring removed?

He really would have a lot less injuries!

Why stop at the hamstring?

“Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Carl Cort will be that man. Better than he was before. Better…stronger…faster.â€

SixMillionDollarMan1.jpg

Archived