Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

Manager Speaks

Funnily enough Kilmarnock is the only place I've watched a match in Scotland. I hitch-hiked round the the place when I was 14, slept in railway carriages, a Gorbals snooker club and even a police cell which were all more comfortable than the seat I had at draughty/drizzly Kilmarnock.

Hell - kudos :appl:

You went around Scotland when the world was still in black and white.

Using that experience - can you tell me how much enjoyment dogs would get from watching football? Everyone used to take a dog to football back then didn't they. A dog, a crate of brown ale and a rattle. All in black and white.

Hell - kudos :appl:

You went around Scotland when the world was still in black and white.

Using that experience - can you tell me how much enjoyment dogs would get from watching football? Everyone used to take a dog to football back then didn't they. A dog, a crate of brown ale and a rattle. All in black and white.

Don't know about Scottish dogs - wouldn't want to know come to think of it! :whistle:

But I came across a huge English sheep dog in Switzerland once that was an avid spectator - and a memorably brilliant goalkeeper.

It's "home" ground was a large office in Zurich where it stood between a double door saving shots from its owner.

No matter how many times the owner went to shoot then stopped the dog didn't move - yet when the ball was whacked the dog either caught it in its mouth or stuck a paw out and stopped it going through the door.

I'd have loved to have a film that could be posted on U-Tube - the dog was sensational and somethiong of a local personality. Everyone would have doubled up.

Logan and co might even have been able to use it as a training aide!.

Don't know about Scottish dogs - wouldn't want to know come to think of it! :whistle:

But I came across a huge English sheep dog in Switzerland once that was an avid spectator - and a memorably brilliant goalkeeper.

It's "home" ground was a large office in Zurich where it stood between a double door saving shots from its owner.

No matter how many times the owner went to shoot then stopped the dog didn't move - yet when the ball was whacked the dog either caught it in its mouth or stuck a paw out and stopped it going through the door.

I'd have loved to have a film that could be posted on U-Tube - the dog was sensational and somethiong of a local personality. Everyone would have doubled up.

Logan and co might even have been able to use it as a training aide!.

Good stuff TPH.

That Thracian spoof is so good that one of the admin has hacked into Thracian's account and posted it under his login.

Nice update from Allen regarding the Partick Thistle game.

Tonight was a good workout. When you come up here it is always going to be competitive. It is in the nature of the Scottish players - they have got that competitive edge. This trip was arranged before I got to Leicester, but I have been absolutely delighted with it.

I came up here 20 years ago with Queen's Park Rangers - all I can remember is being spat at by the supporters. But here today it was nice. The people over at Troon have been superb to us. And from the playing point of view it has been a great workout.

Article continues

Advertisement

You have to remember that all of our players got up this morning at a quarter to seven. They had 6:45am alarm calls. We were on the training pitch at a quarter past seven practicing our set plays. So that was a tester. No one was late and nobody moaned. We stood around on a pitch in Ayr, which was very fresh, and got the set plays done. We then went back out at a quarter past 10 to work on the attacking plays. Again there were no moans or complaints. We were then back on the bus again to come here.

We trained last night for two and a half hours. There has been no let up, but I didn't want any excuses. I wanted all those things to be tests, if you like, of their mental strength because weak people can use the getting up at 6:45am as an excuse for failure. People can use those things for what I call 'get out clauses' - you don't play well and you don't win and the reason was because of those things I have mentioned. But fair play to the players and all the squad. The substitutes and the people who weren't playing were in the dressing room before the game getting the players ready, encouraging, supporting them and backing them. And when they came in at the end of the game all the players who weren't playing were waiting for them in the dressing room to do the same again. So I have got quite a unified and tight squad, but there is still a lot to do.

This trip has all been pre-planned a long time before I got up to Leicester, but my people have actually come up to Scotland a couple of weeks ago and everything has been checked out before we came here. People came to this ground, the hotel and the training pitch to get everything sorted. All the food, the rooms and the arrangements - everything was done. This trip was meticulously planned before we got here to make sure that there were no hiccups.

At the moment the results are important because the winning mentality is good. But there is still a lot to practice, train and work on. The staff will be sitting in front of a computer when we get back to the hotel tonight to analyse the game. We will learn from that and go through it with all the players before our next game. There is still a long way to go and there is a lot of work to do. This is by no means anywhere near how good it will have to be or how good it will be.

Tomorrow we are going clay pigeon shooting to give them a break. I am not sure if it is a good idea that I go because the players will all have guns in their hands!

Take care

Martin

Link

Im really looking forward to the Kilmarnock game, seeing as he played such a defensive team tonight maybe he might play a more attacking team, is anyone else going?

Link

Tomorrow we are going clay pigeon shooting to give them a break. I am not sure if it is a good idea that I go because the players will all have guns in their hands!

Link

Im really looking forward to the Kilmarnock game, seeing as he played such a defensive team tonight maybe he might play a more attacking team, is anyone else going?

Well Sheehan is injured now, so that will mean Hayes will come in. I imagine Newton or Odhiambo will play on the right wing as well.

Wesolowski is due a start as well, what more can the boy do. He's running the show when he comes on.

Link

He really can't help it - the bloke is pure entertainment with a purpose. :thumbup:

Allens renound as an attacking manager and it makes sense what he's doing with the attacking team one match and defensive the next, hopefully the two will combine for Portsmouth and we'll get a better idea of the starting 11.

We trained last night for two and a half hours. There has been no let up, but I didn't want any excuses. I wanted all those things to be tests, if you like, of their mental strength because weak people can use the getting up at 6:45am as an excuse for failure. People can use those things for what I call 'get out clauses' - you don't play well and you don't win and the reason was because of those things I have mentioned. But fair play to the players and all the squad.

I have to say that is impressive thinking.

I bet the players WERE cussing him deep down!

Getting up at 6.45 am when some are probably used to getting IN at 6.45!!!

Wait for some of these players to get transfered then ths tories will come out...

"Martin Allen trated us like Children"

"He worked us too hard"

I have to say that is impressive thinking.

Impressive?

This is team building, regimental stylee.

Brilliant!

No Retreat, No Surrender should be our new tag line. Foxes Never Quit is soooo last year.

(Gonna change mine when I've worked out how :thumbup: )

I bet the players WERE cussing him deep down!

Getting up at 6.45 am when some are probably used to getting IN at 6.45!!!

Wait for some of these players to get transfered then ths tories will come out...

"Martin Allen trated us like Children"

"He worked us too hard"

I really don't think so, he's taken them clay pigeon shooting today ffs.

I think he's got the balance right, I'm pretty confident our squad will turn up fitter, more motivated and have more techincal abilty than last year which has to be a good thing, whether or not it will get us anywhere remains to be seen, but I feel alot more optomistic than I did last year.

Impressive?

This is team building, regimental stylee.

Brilliant!

No Retreat, No Surrender should be our new tag line. Foxes Never Quit is soooo last year.

(Gonna change mine when I've worked out how :thumbup: )

he who dares wins rodders; he who dares wins

MAs mad you know; quite mad ; but hopefully in the brian clough way not the barry fry way :thumbup:

I really don't think so, he's taken them clay pigeon shooting today ffs.

I think he's got the balance right, I'm pretty confident our squad will turn up fitter, more motivated and have more techincal abilty than last year which has to be a good thing, whether or not it will get us anywhere remains to be seen but we shall see.

Wait til the real reason for the shooting trip comes out...public execution for anyone who's reported injured - cos injury shows weakness!. :whistle:

That'll focus em. :D

What he declined to tell the players is that it starts at 6A.M!!!!! :thumbup:

...and includes a swim across the River Severn! :whistle:

Archived