Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Cheltenham pre-season

I can't believe Andy King is left out and Hughes is playing. (I'm docking 0.5 in total firstly because that's totally negative and backwards looking and because of the game being behind closed doors when a decision should have been taken days ago (total +16).

Reasonable.

Big night for Porter. Allen doesn't appear to be a big fan right now.

Manager's all have their favourites and when something gets fixed in a boss's mind you can work your socks off and get nowhere no matter how fair the manager might think he is.

Porter is like Fryatt in one way. He loses out because he's not a player who clatters folk or lets people know he's around. But then Sheehan really laid into Sylla so I gather - and was back off the field in no time. :D

As you say, he has to play well, although I'd far sooner Hughes was out of it and Porter was used as the creative general in midfield with Ryan Beswick outside him.

Still it will be interesting and I've a funny feeling that, given any sort of chance, Ashley Chambers and Billy McKay might make an impression.

Manager's all have their favourites and when something gets fixed in a boss's mind you can work your socks off and get nowhere no matter how fair the manager might think he is.

I think Porter is like Fryatt in one way. He loses out because he's not a player who clatters folk or lets people know he's around. But then Sheehan really laid into Sylla so I gather - and was back off the field in no time. :D

As you say he has to play although I'd far sooner Hughes was out of it and Porter was used as the creative general in midfield with Ryan Beswick outside him.

Still it will be interesting and I've a funny feeling that, given any sort of chance, Ashley Chambers and Billy McKay might make an impression.

Oh dear God Thrac, you really are a comedy genius :worship:

Louis Dodds has gone to Lincoln, I thought he was meant for bigger things :dunno:

I guess we'll see if he can build a career from the bottom now.

He missed his one chance of a close-season game through injury and chose to go on loan because he was sick to death of being consistently overlooked - over a long period - for people who have never been in tip-top scoring form and who don't have anything like his all round scoring range.

People like Horsfield, Hammond, Fryatt, Cadamarteri and DeVries.

Any one got an opinion on Lathaniel Rowe-Turner the youngster on the bench for this ?

Eleven starts plus seven as sub in the Academy League last season, plus the play-offs.

He's one big, strong lad with lots of skill and a fair turn of pace. When I first saw him he played left back but at other times he plays on the wing. He was a bit awkward and coltish last year - some good football would be followed by a bit of clumsiness but he could well make an impression this year given the chance of more appearances.

Eleven starts plus seven as sub in the Academy League last season, plus the play-offs.

He's one big, strong lad with lots of skill and a fair turn of pace. When I first saw him he played left back but at other times he plays on the wing. He was a bit awkward and coltish last year - some good football would be followed by a bit of clumsiness but he could well make an impression this year given the chance of more appearances.

Ok nice1 cheers.

Won 2-0 http://www.lcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Lates...1082370,00.html

A second half strike from Matty Fryatt and a late Darren Kenton header handed Leicester City a 2-0 victory over Cheltenham Town in a behind-closed-doors friendly at the Walkers Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Four of Martin Allen's new signings - Jimmy Nielsen, Sergio Hellings, Shaun Newton and Reneil Sappleton - started the pre-season friendly while striker DJ Campbell also got a welcome 45 minutes of action under his belt.

And in a keenly contested encounter it was the Championship outfit who geared up for their opening league fixture against Blackpool at the Walkers Stadium on August 11 with a win.

Ashley Vincent shot wide on nine minutes before Andy Lindegaard rattled the foot of the left hand post from 20-yards in the 15th minute.

At the other end, Newton volleyed wide from Alan Sheehan's left wing cross moments later.

On 17 minutes Helling's drive was blocked with the ball flying out for a corner then Fryatt was only denied by a last ditch tackle from Lee Ridley.

Shane Higgs turned Fryatt's goalbound shot around the post for a corner on 25 minutes after a fine through ball by Sheehan.

Sappleton shot over the bar two minutes later before Higgs got down to palm Fryatt's shot away for a corner in the 35th minute.

Sappleton was again in the thick of the action soon after when he headed just over from Alan Maybury's dangerous first-time cross.

However, it remained goalless at the break.

For the start of the second half, Joe Magunda and Levi Porter made way for Lathanial Rowe-Turner and Campbell.

And the change seemed to pay dividends as the hosts opened the scoring on 48 minutes.

Sappleton fed strike partner Fryatt and after seeing his initial effort rebound back off the post, he coolly side-footed the ball home.

Max Gradel replaced Newton in the 50th minute then Gradel shot narrowly wide two minutes later.

Cheltenham made two changes on 58 minutes when Ben Gill and Sosthene Yao came on for Vincent and Aaron Ledgister.

The visitors replaced John Finnegan with David Bird in the 64th minute then Sappleton made way for Eric Odhiambo two minutes later.

Odhiambo put his effort wide after out-pacing the visitors' defence on 76 minutes before Billy McKay and Ryan Beswick replaced Fryatt and Sheehan respectively.

Kenton doubled his side's advantage in the 81st minute when he headed home from Beswick's deflected cross.

Ashley Chambers came on for Hellings moments later then Nielsen saved well from Wylde's low drive four minutes from time.

City: Nielsen, Maybury ©, Sheehan (Beswick 77), Kenton, Magunda (Rowe-Turner 45), Hellings (Chambers 82), Hughes, Porter (Campbell 45), Newton (Gradel 50), Sappleton (Odhiambo 66), Fryatt (McKay 77). Subs not used: Logan.

Town: Higgs, Gallinagh, Ridley, Connolly, Duff (Wylde 72), Townsend, Lindegaard, Finnigan (Bird 64), Vincent (Gill B 58), Reid, Ledgister (Yao 58). Subs not used: Brown, Puddy, Gill J, Manship.

Referee: Stuart Attwell

From looking at that report, looks like Fryatt was involved a lot. Perhaps gone out tonight with a point to prove to Allen and the coaching staff?

I'd like to see Gradel involved against Portsmouth on Saturday, I think it's about time was given a chance. From what I have seen this pre-season he has looked very sharp and confident on the ball.

From looking at that report, looks like Fryatt was involved a lot. Perhaps gone out tonight with a point to prove to Allen and the coaching staff?

I'd like to see Gradel involved against Portsmouth on Saturday, I think it's about time was given a chance. From what I have seen this pre-season he has looked very sharp and confident on the ball.

Will Kaebi be back to face Pompey?

That's a typical OS incident report.

It simply records what I presume were the clearest chances and as far as it goes that's fine.

But there's no analysis whatsoever.

I've no idea who played well or badly, what role people had or how good/bad the opposition were.

Fryatt certainly appeared to make an impression and his second close season goal won't do his confidence any harm.

There seems to be a big difference between the chances he got against Kilmarnock compared to Cheltenham.

Perhaps he had better service from the shadow squad!

Sheehan too would have been pleased with the clean sheet and sounded well involved in an attacking sense, including an assist according to the Cheltenham report.

And young centre-back Joe Magunda (assuming that's where he played) will also have been delighted to help keep the visitors from scoring.

Allen gets +0.5 for a victory which doubtless helped Fryatt's self-belief and which offered useful experience to a good many of our younger players (+!6.5 total).

Will Kaebi be back to face Pompey?

Well he's not been around yet. I'd guess that he'd be back soon though. I'd think Allen would be keen to get him training and bonding with the rest of squad as soon as possibly, so I think he'll play some part against Pompey.

Archived