Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

Can anybody recommend some decent running shoes?

It all depends on your running style and gait. I run well in Asics, Brooks, New Balance and Nikes, but can't run at all in Reeboks or Puma.

If you want to take a risk, have a look at the bottom of a pair of old trainers that you have run in, or at worst, a pair of shoes. See if there is more wear on the outside or the inside (instep) area. If you have more wear on the inside, then you need to look for runners with a grey bit on the instep, like this:

ist2_4116816_running_shoes_new.jpg

as they are designed for pronators.

If there's wear on the outside, then avoid the above like the plague!!

It can be a matter of trial and error in finding the right ones. You don't have to pay a lot either. You can get some really good runners for around £30.

I've been advised to get a gait analysis done. A lot of my friends who run say that it's worth the money to find out which running trainers are best suited to your particular feet. I've generally been running in Asics for a while but not really checked whether I may be able to get some beter priced and more suitable footwear

Maybe Lisa or one of the other runners who've been doing this a bit longer than me may be able to give a bit more insight on this

This is of course the recommended method!

:thumbup:

I've been advised to get a gait analysis done. A lot of my friends who run say that it's worth the money to find out which running trainers are best suited to your particular feet. I've generally been running in Asics for a while but not really checked whether I may be able to get some beter priced and more suitable footwear

Maybe Lisa or one of the other runners who've been doing this a bit longer than me may be able to give a bit more insight on this

It all depends on your running style and gait. I run well in Asics, Brooks, New Balance and Nikes, but can't run at all in Reeboks or Puma.

If you want to take a risk, have a look at the bottom of a pair of old trainers that you have run in, or at worst, a pair of shoes. See if there is more wear on the outside or the inside (instep) area. If you have more wear on the inside, then you need to look for runners with a grey bit on the instep, like this:

ist2_4116816_running_shoes_new.jpg

as they are designed for pronators.

If there's wear on the outside, then avoid the above like the plague!!

It can be a matter of trial and error in finding the right ones. You don't have to pay a lot either. You can get some really good runners for around £30.

This is of course the recommended method!

:thumbup:

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm in between neutral and under pronation. I'm gonna get some Asics though, they look smart. Gel Nimbus 10's I reckon.

Does walking count? Doing shite hours I used to do in my last job I became really lazy. Since was made redundant I have started walking along the canal ways of Blaby/Guthlaxton Trail down to Gee's Lock and back up...really nice walk. From where I live it's a 4 mile round trek, and have done this the last 3 days on the trot. Plan to do it every day until I can start to jog round it.

Does walking count? Doing shite hours I used to do in my last job I became really lazy. Since was made redundant I have started walking along the canal ways of Blaby/Guthlaxton Trail down to Gee's Lock and back up...really nice walk. From where I live it's a 4 mile round trek, and have done this the last 3 days on the trot. Plan to do it every day until I can start to jog round it.

A month or so ago I started walking to and from work, 2.7 miles each way. It takes me 30 minutes to get to work on the tube or 45 minutes to walk it (saving me £64 a month in travel). Love it!

Depends what you mean by 'count' and how fast you are walking really. Why don't you try jogging for a minute then walking for 2 or something like that. You don't need to start out by being able to jog the whole thing. When I started out I could not run a mile without walking, but was covering a 4 mile course. Over time you increase the amount you run and decrease the walking. Give it a try - good work though - at least you are doing something.

To be honest I am not really geared up for running, though I plan to buy some running trainers and a tracky this week-end, I have just gone out the last three days to try and beat my time each time... there's a couple of hilly areas that are quite steep that I am, I suppose you would say, 'power walking' up. Once I have got more comfortable clothing i.e. not jeans and and a pair of 'pumps' I will look to push my self that bit further, and like you say do bursts of runs... Probably not 1 minute, more like 20-30 seconds.

Up until last may (when I quit) I used to smoke a lot as well, anything between 12 & 20 a day and I did that for about 12 years...my lungs are slowly getting back to a more healthy state, but again it's gonna take a bit of time.

To be honest I am not really geared up for running, though I plan to buy some running trainers and a tracky this week-end, I have just gone out the last three days to try and beat my time each time... there's a couple of hilly areas that are quite steep that I am, I suppose you would say, 'power walking' up. Once I have got more comfortable clothing i.e. not jeans and and a pair of 'pumps' I will look to push my self that bit further, and like you say do bursts of runs... Probably not 1 minute, more like 20-30 seconds.

Up until last may (when I quit) I used to smoke a lot as well, anything between 12 & 20 a day and I did that for about 12 years...my lungs are slowly getting back to a more healthy state, but again it's gonna take a bit of time.

I've been running for about 7-8 months, and I feel tremendous, I lost over 1.5 stones, alot of that is due to the fact I gave up alcohol!!

I see alot people struggling while i'm out jogging and I often give them some support, it's very difficult to get to pace at first and it does put alot of people off, as people expect instant success!! My advice to anyone, it takes time, small steps!!! :thumbup:

It depends what you're trying to do. In terms of both fitness and burning calories, walking only really helps if you're putting some effort into it. A gentle stroll will burn next to nothing, but a brisk walk up a big hill will get your heart rate up to a level where the calories start ticking over nicely.

When I was training for our charity hike last year, I burnt about 500 walking all the way round Rutland water - next to nothing to show for about 17 miles, because it's nice and flat. When we did the hike itself, which took in 3 big peaks, I burnt about 5000, even though it was only 25 miles.

Today, I managed 45 minutes at sub 5min kilometre pace (just). Now I know I'm not going to be winning races at that pace, but it's a barrier I've been wanting to get back under for a long time!

Go me.

When are we running then? And how far, i shall start jogging this week.

The suggestion was september and the windsor half if I remember correctly. Just need to figure out who's definitely up for it

Today, I managed 45 minutes at sub 5min kilometre pace (just). Now I know I'm not going to be winning races at that pace, but it's a barrier I've been wanting to get back under for a long time!

Go me.

Nice one - that's pretty quick, quicker than me for one!

How far do you want to jog?
The suggestion was september and the windsor half if I remember correctly. Just need to figure out who's definitely up for it

Excellent. I can do 13 miles without training. Just in case i go for a jog later methinks.

Nice one - that's pretty quick, quicker than me for one!

I want to keep that kind of pace going for another hour. It's going to be really tough.

There is no way I'm letting Raj beat me at the half-marathon.

Excellent. I can do 13 miles without training. Just in case i go for a jog later methinks.

How many days will it take for you to walk again afterwards?

I really wish there was a doctor, or someone who is an expert in sports science who could work out this conundrum.

The past couple of weeks, my blood pressure, which is generally low, has literally fallen through the floor. I even tested Sir Fynwy's BP to see if the monitor was faulty, and he had a normal reading.

Despite this, since this has happened, I have been able to run comfortably at a much quicker speed - almost 2kph quicker! Given that I have to be careful standing up, it seems weird that I have seen an improved athletic performance, and wondered if anyone knew why this would be the case.

:dunno:

I really wish there was a doctor, or someone who is an expert in sports science who could work out this conundrum.

The past couple of weeks, my blood pressure, which is generally low, has literally fallen through the floor. I even tested Sir Fynwy's BP to see if the monitor was faulty, and he had a normal reading.

Despite this, since this has happened, I have been able to run comfortably at a much quicker speed - almost 2kph quicker! Given that I have to be careful standing up, it seems weird that I have seen an improved athletic performance, and wondered if anyone knew why this would be the case.

:dunno:

My Brother in Law has a Masters in sports science and lectures at York Uni........ I can ask him if you like.. Might take me a few days to get an answer thou.

My Brother in Law has a Masters in sports science and lectures at York Uni........ I can ask him if you like.. Might take me a few days to get an answer thou.

Thanks - I'm just curious as to why going from standing to sitting can make me pass out, but I can run quicker than I could two weeks ago!!

It makes no sense!

Archived