Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

I thought I was going to die last night playing football. We had no subs, the place was freezing and we were playing a good side. My doctor has told me to stop playing. I'm an idiot!
On what grounds? That's a bit harsh

On the grounds that my asthma is really bad these days.

It's not always so bad, but I've had a chest infection recently and then been on a cocktail of steroids and antibiotics which I've unwisely twinned with alcohol. My lungs don't seem happy.

I still managed to score a good goal - but picked up a few knocks and we lost 5-2... so overall, not a great performance.

On the grounds that my asthma is really bad these days.

It's not always so bad, but I've had a chest infection recently and then been on a cocktail of steroids and antibiotics which I've unwisely twinned with alcohol. My lungs don't seem happy.

I still managed to score a good goal - but picked up a few knocks and we lost 5-2... so overall, not a great performance.

Bummer about the asthma, and the result of course. I get it a bit myself, but I'm fortunate in that exercise actually helps it

Did my first 3 mile run for a long time yesterday, getting back into the swing of things.

Impressed with my running pace and general fitness, especially after a 3 mile walk to work and back during the day and work itself.

Looking to clock up more miles over the coming weeks.

I went out three times over Christmas but now I'm back at work I've not been at all. I just can't motivate myself to go out when it's dark and freezing cold

Thankfully I can leave for my run at 7:45am (when it's the morning equivalent of dusk, whatever that's called), do three miles, shower and change and still get to work on time. I couldn't motivate myself to do it after work when it was dark.

I'm about to go out to the garage turn the tunes up and go for an hour and 20minute run on the tread mill.

Actually i lie im going to do 20 minutes

fook im knackered didn't stretch enough cramp after 40 secs in my left i though i would battle away and then bang in the left so i stopped and strecthed it out as much as i could and started again.

It was warm in the garage like a sauna im currently sweating worse than a pig walking in to a butchers

Thankfully I can leave for my run at 7:45am (when it's the morning equivalent of dusk, whatever that's called), do three miles, shower and change and still get to work on time. I couldn't motivate myself to do it after work when it was dark.

I just did but mind you i only had to walk to my garage :thumbup:

isn't that dawn ?

Bummer about the asthma, and the result of course. I get it a bit myself, but I'm fortunate in that exercise actually helps it

We were actually the better side overall, they are just a team of brutes. Very very physical and know the ref well. I played the entire first half with a dead leg after straight from kick off I took a knee-ing in the side of my thigh.

We just need to toughen up a bit and probably get a big guy in at the back.

Same here. So much so that the allergy doctor doubts I have asthma. Despite me having had asthma attacks in front of doctors in the past. :rolleyes:

Ditto!

Come on guys, man up! I went running in shorts and t-shirt today!

Not cold the temperature, cold the disease!

Gonna start running from Monday . Although i play Football regular and few other bits ive never been a great distance runner , i can run around a mile but then im bloody bolloxed !!! Little sprints and stop / start relays i am fine with but distance does my nut in . Will give it a try anyway

Gonna start running from Monday . Although i play Football regular and few other bits ive never been a great distance runner , i can run around a mile but then im bloody bolloxed !!! Little sprints and stop / start relays i am fine with but distance does my nut in . Will give it a try anyway

Just don't set out to quickly, and build up your distance gradually. Anyone can do it, you'll be fine

Forced myself to run this morning; just under 3 and half miles.

I'm knackered.

Nice work! Just been to the gym too.... still got the cold but easing myself back into training. Will run 3 miles tomorrow and 5 on Sunday hopefully.

Sparky - sounds like you are in a similar situation to me a few months back. I'd suggest picking out a 3 mile circuit on WalkJogRun and aiming to complete it with a combination of walking and running (Don't actually stop as this allows your heart rate to fall - the idea is to maintain a high heart rate). Don't try to run too fast, just pace yourself. Each time you run set yourself a slightly further marker before you allow yourself to walk. Once you get to 3 miles you realise that stopping is more about mentality than it is about fitness. :thumbup:

Distance running will improve your stamina no end, but it uses different muscles to sprinting and the stop/start running you'll be used to with football. As Sir Fynwy found out the last time he played footy. >_<

I just started training for a half marathon (still haven't chosen one, and was pissed off to see today that this race has just closed registration) this week. I want to do one this spring and then move on to 5ks in the summer, and perhaps another half in the fall. Also, I really want to push myself (but be safe) during the rough winter weather, because if I can make it through this, I'll be well prepared to run in the spring.

I tried to get in a 4-mile run yesterday before an ice storm hit. Completing the run? Win. Beating the storm? Fail. My nipples had never been that sore since ... go ahead, insert joke here.

I've really got to psych myself up to run well over the next two months. Snow is coming on Saturday followed by below-freezing weather. It's definitely winter here in the New York suburbs. Cool English weather is great for running; surely it must be one of the ingredients in the mix that makes Bannisters, Radcliffes, Lisas, Bellends, Lestavezes, Monks etc.? :dunno:

Archived