Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Motorbikes are brilliant

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Lovely evening sitting in the garage polishing the brake cylinders on the XJ9, drinking Speckled Hen and listening to the radio.

Will you be taking the big end out later to give it a good old polish ?

Been wanting a bike since forever!

has anyone recently took their CBT? How did

you find it. I was swaying more towards a Honda NSR

125. Me girlfriend really don't want me to have

one or family. I've been driving for 4 years now.

Can't wait! Totally different feeling being on a bike.

Is there a decent selection up there? I'm looking to upgrade mine now and gloucester aint to far a trek for me

I never went up there myself mate, I found it online through a bike selling website (I think it was Autotrader come to think of it. I then had it delivered from Gloucester to Leicester for £99 by them.

Been wanting a bike since forever!

has anyone recently took their CBT? How did

you find it. I was swaying more towards a Honda NSR

125. Me girlfriend really don't want me to have

one or family. I've been driving for 4 years now.

Can't wait! Totally different feeling being on a bike.

I took mine in June 2011, been riding for a year now and I love it. Remember its not a test, just them trying to get you used to a bike and how it feels. Its about £140 to take it, using their bike, and you have to go and do it every two years.

I love my bike, I will be riding it for God knows how long. However, I got my driving license in April 2012 and will be getting a car when I'm 21/22 and finishing uni.

I've had my license 7 years now - when I did my CBT it was £80 at Centaur I think. CBT expires in 2 years, if you have to take it again I'm sure by that point you'll already own a 125 and won't pay the rental part of a CBT. However, once you've done your CBT I'm sure you'll be itching to take your test and ditch the "L"oser plates - so the 2 year expiry shouldn't be a problem

Personally I'd recommend the following route:

• get a dog of a 125cc (commuter type, not sporty) - you're bound to either have a little spill or drop it at some point early on, so damage is minimal as there's no fairing to worry about.

• take your test before the CBT expires

• Get your first "proper" bike!

With 125's, there's 3 types:

• basic (commuter type/off-road look-a-likes/"chopper"-likes)

• wannabe-sports (CBR-125, R125 etc)

• 2-stroke sports (RS-125, Mito, TZR125, NSR 125)

Don't bother with CBR-125s/R125s - 4-stroke 125s all make pitiful power, the plastics and badges don't hide that.

2-stroke sports 125s can be a lot of fun to ride, but aren't great around town (absolutely no power at low/mid rev range) and can give you many problems.

At 6:30 this morning it was pissing down as I rode on the M1 through Leicestershire. It was pissing down and the kind of temperature which makes brass monkeys eye their bollocks nervously. And the water seeped into my crotch and chest and feet.

At bikes still knock the tits off sitting in a soulless cage on wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

At 6:30 this morning it was pissing down as I rode on the M1 through Leicestershire. It was pissing down and the kind of temperature which makes brass monkeys eye their bollocks nervously. And the water seeped into my crotch and chest and feet.

At bikes still knock the tits off sitting in a soulless cage on wheels.

Agreed. I can't get enough at the moment. And when it's dry and I hear the noise of other bikes, even while having a beer and a BBQ in my garden .... I'm a little it envious. Some days I just have to take the cover off and gaze at her for a while.

Edited by Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought a skyjet 125 I know it's Chinese and it'll probably end up letting me down but I had sod all money and needed transport to get me to work for 5am. Having said that I'm really looking forward to getting back on the road. :-)

I think the Chinese bikes get a bad press simply because they don't schmooze bike journos. If the bike goes for longer than a year then you're quids in compared to what you would have lost on depreciation on another bike.

Whenever I have money spare I want one of these:

suv-red.jpg

CPI SUV250; Strip the mudguard off and you've got a cracking budget green-laner.

Last bike I had (sold it this year) was a Suzuki Burgman 400cc. I'd always thought that scooters were for girls but I bought this one both for commuting and to have a bit of fun on.

I got it with only 100 miles on the clock and racked up 5k in just a few months.

I've had loadsa bikes but this little thing was the dogs bollox. For a single cylinder machine the acceleration from standstill was unreal and I'd have it up to motorway speeds dead quickly. It was massively comfy, weather protection unbelievable (when it rained I literally hardly got wet) and it was such a piece of piss to ride. Added to that I could fit my helmet under the seat and a bag of shopping. The Burgman is a magic little bike and I'd recommend one to anyone. I'm toying with the idea of buying the 650 version. Electric screen, mirrors, heated grips and heated seats!

The best thing about having a scooter, I found, was the practicality. If you want a bike you can use pretty much all year round, for commuting and not just for balls-out stuff, I've never had anything that does it all so well.

Edited by Col city fan

I love bikes and can't believe I went 4 years without owning one. Cars don't accelerate, FACT.

I've halved my commute time - I actually quite enjoy traffic now, it's like a big obstacle course.

A little note though - does anyone on here wince when they see a motorcyclist NOT wearing gloves?

Some idiot in a Pug 206 wanted to race me on my commute this morning, I filtered alongside him at a red light and just heard him revving the nuts off his car. Pulled away and giggled a little as he naturally was left standing, and after a bit more filtering I could see he was still up someone else's arse trying to catch up. Bikes! Awesome. Also doubling my fuel economy is a huge bonus at current prices.

Some idiot in a Pug 206 wanted to race me on my commute this morning, I filtered alongside him at a red light and just heard him revving the nuts off his car. Pulled away and giggled a little as he naturally was left standing, and after a bit more filtering I could see he was still up someone else's arse trying to catch up. Bikes! Awesome. Also doubling my fuel economy is a huge bonus at current prices.

That was my reasoning in getting the 125 plus the £16 tax is a bonus as well ;-)