Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Motorbikes are brilliant

Kyle - Deucalion is right, be careful with Chinese bikes. A mate of mine at school bought a Chinese scooter as it was a "bargain" - he phoned up dozens of insurers and only one would insure it as it wasn't on a database, as such he paid about £200 more for the policy than similar scooters would have for him and he had so many problems with it he got rid after a couple of months. Parts can also be problematic to source and if there are no UK stockists you might be waiting weeks for deliveries from China.

The CBT school bikes are usually 10 year old Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas and they're fine - the engine designs have hardly changed as they are built so well. A high-mileage Japanese bike with a year's MOT would be a better bet than something no-one has heard of

• 2 months later...

What bike garages do people recommend around Leicester? Need front brakes looking at asap and MOT is due soon

I had my bike serviced in winter including new brake seals, and they seem to have gone again (front brake has recently gone extremely spongy and ineffective - not a bleed problem). I've used the same garage for years but they seem to be declining in work quality so I'm going to try elsewhere. Any suggestions appreciated

What bike garages do people recommend around Leicester? Need front brakes looking at asap and MOT is due soon

I had my bike serviced in winter including new brake seals, and they seem to have gone again (front brake has recently gone extremely spongy and ineffective - not a bleed problem). I've used the same garage for years but they seem to be declining in work quality so I'm going to try elsewhere. Any suggestions appreciated

I use MJC in Enderby for my MOT but do most other work myself, it's a small 2 man unit but seems pretty good to me. They are at Unit 3, Froanes Close, Enderby, LE19 4XL. Tel 07977 001305

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've had my ZX-9R C1 for a little over a year now but I think it's a little too much for what I mainly use it for (commuting, with the occasional blast). I'm so far out of touch with the latest bikes - can anyone recommend me any standout bikes up to about 5 years old?

I don't want to sacrifice too much of the power (my previous 400 bored the hell out of me when I wanted to give it some) but a bit less weight would be good. Thinking things like the Triumph Street Triple... Want to book some test rides before Winter comes

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

My bike was a SV650s I loved it. Comfy and easy to ride. I miss it big time and reading through this makes me want to buy a new one. My Mrs won't have any of it though as she's expecting our first baby, she thinks bikes are the devil and anyone that looks at one is done for.

4000 for a brand new bike is a bargain, nice one.

Bump.

Just passed my mod 2 and on an A2 license. Look set to be getting an sv650s brand new pre reg (2014) with no miles for £4000 due to the new stock needing to come in. Very excited!

Congratulations! That's a great price for any new proper bike. Never ridden the 650 (friend had the 1000, very torquey) but I've heard it's a perfect bike for new riders. I would also think it wouldn't feel too strangled if restricted to 47bhp - assuming you will be!

Just had another skim read of the new license rules, they don't half make it hard for new riders. When I did my test at 17, I was limited to 33bhp (any size) for two years then whatever you want. I had a 250 Bandit (revved to 17,000rpm, 45bhp unrestricted) but it was tiny and felt great to ride. As soon as the 2 years were up I went and got a ZX-6R, riding that home was awesome

Went down and sorted it out, paid a bit extra to get some low fairing on it as I'll be using it to commute to Nottingham so figured the extra weather protection would do some good. Should be getting it next Wednesday.

Whats the general opinion on insurance? Comprehensive insurance is double the price of third party, fire and theft (£800 or £400). A part of me doesn't want to be paying 80 quid a month on comprehensive if I drop my bike and pay it through my own means to avoid making a claim yet If I totally **** the bike up i'll need it O_o

It's a tricky one - how long were you riding as a learner? I had two offs very early on on my 125 (once going too fast round a bend on an uneven surface, once going over a notoriously diesel-stained roundabout in the rain) and touch wood haven't since - been 10 years since I got my full license. As it's not a sports bike, you won't have to be buying expensive fairings if you drop it but with the bad weather and winter on the way I'd probably recommend fully comp just in case. I know it's £400 extra now but should you have an accident that would probably pay for itself

When you're over 25 they practically give you the bike insurance! TPFT on my ZX-9R was just £155 with only 2 years NCB. If I hadn't had to claim on my car being damaged in the hail storm 2 years ago it'd be under £100

It's a tricky one - how long were you riding as a learner? I had two offs very early on on my 125 (once going too fast round a bend on an uneven surface, once going over a notoriously diesel-stained roundabout in the rain) and touch wood haven't since - been 10 years since I got my full license. As it's not a sports bike, you won't have to be buying expensive fairings if you drop it but with the bad weather and winter on the way I'd probably recommend fully comp just in case. I know it's £400 extra now but should you have an accident that would probably pay for itself

When you're over 25 they practically give you the bike insurance! TPFT on my ZX-9R was just £155 with only 2 years NCB. If I hadn't had to claim on my car being damaged in the hail storm 2 years ago it'd be under £100

This ^... fully comp all the way.

If your bike was worth a couple of thou or less, It would be a different matter...

One of the best things about getting old (er) - My Blade insurance is about £100 fully comp... My R6 cost me a similar amount ('cos it's newer)..

Selling an older Blade if anyone is interested - RRW, (last and best in my opinion, of the carburettor blades). It hasn't been run in 5 years, it was fully serviced then garaged - needs a new battery and a polish. Nice winter project for someone.

Nice! All that needs is a tidy little exhaust can! (Also means people will hear you when filtering and less likely to step into your path)

Spent all day with dad changing the front brake calipers on my Ninja (and chain/sprockets). The old calipers were a nightmare - known fault on that particular model. Trouble is the ones I bought were from a breaker and haven't been used in a while so have seized slightly, trying to wheel the bike backwards uphill up my drive (on gravel) about gave me a heart attack

I've had my ZX-9R C1 for a little over a year now but I think it's a little too much for what I mainly use it for (commuting, with the occasional blast). I'm so far out of touch with the latest bikes - can anyone recommend me any standout bikes up to about 5 years old?

I don't want to sacrifice too much of the power (my previous 400 bored the hell out of me when I wanted to give it some) but a bit less weight would be good. Thinking things like the Triumph Street Triple... Want to book some test rides before Winter comes

Cheers!

ZX 9r a 'little too much for commuting'

lol

Yeah... I'd say....

That's like saying a Porsche is perhaps too much for pottering down the shops in!

Edited by Col city fan

ZX 9r a 'little too much for commuting'

lol

Yeah... I'd say....

That's like saying a Porsche is perhaps too much for pottering down the shops in!

It's not actually that bad as it's surprisingly easy to ride at low speeds so I have no problems filtering, it's just if you manage to get to 4krpm and it wakes up it really wants you to give it a handful and there's not much opportunity for that on my commute!

Having been solidly a 4 wheel can for many years, I wouldn't mind having a pop on 2, problem is I know absolutely sweet FA about bikes...

I travel up from the South East every 2 weeks for the games so would need something that's appropriate for a beginner, comfortable enough for a 2.5hour journey every two weeks and has the range to complete said journey, least important of all is I'd like something that "looks" like on of those racing bikes - a small preference that can be knocked on the head but still worth mentioning!

(EDIT: Like that black one a few posts above)

Also - what should I look out for when viewing 2nd hand hogs? I'm assuming that if a motorcycle has been dropped/kicked over then that's it pretty much fvcked?

Any advice would be appreciated gents!

Edited by FoxesAreBlue

Having been solidly a 4 wheel can for many years, I wouldn't mind having a pop on 2, problem is I know absolutely sweet FA about bikes...

I travel up from the South East every 2 weeks for the games so would need something that's appropriate for a beginner, comfortable enough for a 2.5hour journey every two weeks and has the range to complete said journey, least important of all is I'd like something that "looks" like on of those racing bikes - a small preference that can be knocked on the head but still worth mentioning!

Also - what should I look out for when viewing 2nd hand hogs? I'm assuming that if a motorcycle has been dropped/kicked over then that's it pretty much fvcked?

Have you taken your test yet mate?

Not yet, was just going to stick with 125cc to begin with

125s are terrible for long journeys and you can't use motorways till you've passed your test. Honestly, if you can get a 4-stroke 125 to 70mph, it'll tell you pretty quickly that it doesn't wish to go that fast!

There are loads of bikes that are comfortable for long journeys, give good fuel economy, look sporty and won't be daunting for beginners - most of these would be between 400 and 600cc (although there are some big engine bikes that won't throw you off if you get into a spot of bother) - just not the out-and-out sports bikes (GSXR, R6, Ninja, CBR - I wouldn't recommend these at all to new riders). It also depends on your age and what restrictions you are given when you've passed which test, they made it quite confusing and restrictive a few years ago. A whole load of new bikes have been made to comply with the new licensing laws, and they're all fairly good value - search through MCN and Visordown for the reviews

I'd probably recommend looking at the Suzuki Bandit 600, Suzuki SV650 or possibly Yamaha Thundercat for something sportier without being mental

I

I'd get your test out of the way (theory, mod 1 + mod 2) before you begin thinking too much about bikes. The whole process is quite time consuming and quite hard to pass all of the tests 1st time (most people tend to mess up once or twice on one of the three tests). Also you may want to begin thinking about whether a bike in the winter is something you'd really want to do. Especially because you have a car. Filtering through traffic wont seem much of a victory when it takes you an extra 15 minutes getting your gear on and the bike out. Then if you add the rain etc, it will become even more of a ball ache.

Not trying to put you off though! You should have a ganders at the sport tourer bikes. They are very comfortable to sit on and their positioning isn't as aggressive as sport bikes so your sat up right like a bicycle rather than leaning forward. Bikes like the v-storm or versys come to mind.