Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Motorbikes are brilliant

11 hours, that's endurance that is! I went out doing a few of the local roads I used to enjoy when I got my first "proper" bike. Wood Lane between Mountsorrel and Quorn has some great corners but I daren't lean the Ninja like my old 6R yet. Although it feels a similar weight, you do have to muscle it quite a bit more and be a lot more careful powering out in case it decides to lift the front wheel. Still great though

You're right, bikes and bikers are great. I nod to anyone on two wheels, although I seem to be getting blanked by a lot of people at the moment - where's the bike etiquette gone?

11 hours, that's endurance that is! I went out doing a few of the local roads I used to enjoy when I got my first "proper" bike. Wood Lane between Mountsorrel and Quorn has some great corners but I daren't lean the Ninja like my old 6R yet. Although it feels a similar weight, you do have to muscle it quite a bit more and be a lot more careful powering out in case it decides to lift the front wheel. Still great though

You're right, bikes and bikers are great. I nod to anyone on two wheels, although I seem to be getting blanked by a lot of people at the moment - where's the bike etiquette gone?

I nod to anyone and most people nod back.

Sports bike riders are the most friendly, they also do a strange sideways head-tilt thing instead of a tradition nod.  You've got to like your bikes to take the danger and discomfort of a sports bike, so that explains why they are more into it than anyone else.

Cruiser riders are pretty miserable.  But I suppose I would be if I spent all my free time polishing chrome and wrestling nearly a ton of 1930s technology around!

To be honest, a fair proportion of that 11 hours was spent gassing about bikes in various cafes or bike shops rather than riding.  I was still pretty knackered hustling my two up ER6 around, especially when you consider the lead rider was on a KTM RC8!

Cracking day though.

Yeah I've been down to H's in Berinsfield too - hard to know when you walk in if you want a cuppa or a tattoo, the decision is only a few footsteps apart. Sports bike riders do the nod with a tilt so you don't have to lower your gaze as stuff happens so much quicker than tamer bikes. Go to France, they use their feet, sticking one out to say hello instead of nodding! 

• Like 1

I nod to anyone and most people nod back.

Sports bike riders are the most friendly, they also do a strange sideways head-tilt thing instead of a tradition nod.  You've got to like your bikes to take the danger and discomfort of a sports bike, so that explains why they are more into it than anyone else.

Cruiser riders are pretty miserable.  But I suppose I would be if I spent all my free time polishing chrome and wrestling nearly a ton of 1930s technology around!

To be honest, a fair proportion of that 11 hours was spent gassing about bikes in various cafes or bike shops rather than riding.  I was still pretty knackered hustling my two up ER6 around, especially when you consider the lead rider was on a KTM RC8!

Cracking day though.

I think I generally get ignored by fair-weather riders, who mostly are on cruisers or brand-new litre sports bikes. Don't see too many around but usually get a nod off police riders

Yeah I've been down to H's in Berinsfield too - hard to know when you walk in if you want a cuppa or a tattoo, the decision is only a few footsteps apart. Sports bike riders do the nod with a tilt so you don't have to lower your gaze as stuff happens so much quicker than tamer bikes. Go to France, they use their feet, sticking one out to say hello instead of nodding! 

Haha I rode all down to Spain a few years back and the first couple of riders I saw doing that, I thought were stretching a leg cramp out before I realised. I didn't take to it myself, doesn't feel courteous enough, so I gave a more universal thumbs-up

I'd like a motorbike but my girlfirend and my mum both say that I'm not allowed one.  I'm 34.  :(

Do it! If my mum and girlfriend had their way I wouldn't have one, but (bit of a cliche I know) - you only live once. If you've never ridden before, bikes give you a sense of freedom you don't get from anything else. And the acceleration on pretty much anything over 500cc kicks the arse of all but the most expensive supercars. They also cost very little to run, insure and tax, and cut commute times in half

• 1 month later...

That was quick! How you finding the big Bandit?

I went on a long ride today (Up to Horseshoe Pass near Llangollen) to get used to it and found there wasn't much to get used to.  It is so well mannered it is unbelievable, and although you need to give some thought to where you park and where you put your feet when you stop, the weight just disappears when you are rolling.

Coming out of a roundabout in third I rolled on the throttle to see what happened.  What happened was, with almost no effort or fuss we were doing 100+ mph!  It changes from docile  and polite to a fire breathing beast with just a flick of the wrist!

It was also much more comfortable than the ER6 and took a pillion with ease, which was where the ER6 was a little weak, although it was a great bike one-up.  

I bought the ER6 six months ago and managed to part exchange it for only £350 less than I paid for it, and as the Bandit was reasonably priced compared with others for sale in the area, I'm chuffed with the deal I got too.

So...a happy bunny at the moment!

Edited by Deucalion

• 6 months later...

I went on a long ride today (Up to Horseshoe Pass near Llangollen) to get used to it and found there wasn't much to get used to. It is so well mannered it is unbelievable, and although you need to give some thought to where you park and where you put your feet when you stop, the weight just disappears when you are rolling.

Coming out of a roundabout in third I rolled on the throttle to see what happened. What happened was, with almost no effort or fuss we were doing 100+ mph! It changes from docile and polite to a fire breathing beast with just a flick of the wrist!

It was also much more comfortable than the ER6 and took a pillion with ease, which was where the ER6 was a little weak, although it was a great bike one-up.

I bought the ER6 six months ago and managed to part exchange it for only £350 less than I paid for it, and as the Bandit was reasonably priced compared with others for sale in the area, I'm chuffed with the deal I got too.

So...a happy bunny at the moment!

The 1250 Bandit is one of the easiest big bikes to ride. It's got astonishing acceleration though...

Don't forget, the suspension is not 'superbike' esque... careful in the corners!

Good on you mate... you'll be on a GSXR1000 next!

• Like 1

Got my CBT Tuesday

Only rode a bike once, PY70 when I was 16 got cocky and skidded off whilst it was raining.

Matured a bit since then ha...

Any advice for the day? Canny wait!

Excellent, you'll have a great day. My only tips would be do as your instructor says and don't speed. When I did mine one lad on our course tried his luck a few times and the instructors pulled him aside and sent him home early. He had to come back the next day and pay twice. Otherwise if it's due to rain heavily make sure you have decent waterproofs as you'll be riding 6 hours and if you're soaked to the bone you'll have a miserable day. Let us know how you get on

Excellent, you'll have a great day. My only tips would be do as your instructor says and don't speed. When I did mine one lad on our course tried his luck a few times and the instructors pulled him aside and sent him home early. He had to come back the next day and pay twice. Otherwise if it's due to rain heavily make sure you have decent waterproofs as you'll be riding 6 hours and if you're soaked to the bone you'll have a miserable day. Let us know how you get on

Cheerz for the tips mate. Somebody was telling me that they didn't get their certificate because they were doing 30mph in a 30zone but wasn't keeping up with the traffic, dunno how plausible that is?

It starts at 9 and finishes for about half 2/3 the woman on the phone said so that don't sound too bad =)

Cheerz for the tips mate. Somebody was telling me that they didn't get their certificate because they were doing 30mph in a 30zone but wasn't keeping up with the traffic, dunno how plausible that is?

It starts at 9 and finishes for about half 2/3 the woman on the phone said so that don't sound too bad =)

No problem! That sounds odd… unless his clocks were way off or the instructor was an arse-piece, the 30mph limit is the maximum speed limit not a minimum. Wouldn't worry about anything like that if I were you

Depending on how your group is, you'll probably spend about 30 minutes being told the basics of safety, an hour/hour and a half in a car park just learning how to brake and navigate basic paths and then you'll be out on the road for the rest of the day - I loved doing my CBT. You should pick it up easily especially if you've even ridden just once before so you'll have more of the day out on the road. One girl in my group was so clueless she dropped her bike twice in the carpark and luckily an extra instructor was available to go over the basics with her for the afternoon so she didn't hold the rest of the group up

Just out of interest are you doing your 125 or scooter?

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

That's made me feel a bit better, dont even know why I'm getting nervous for it I'll be thinking there was no need to be once it's done.

I'm doing my 125 I did get told if I can't get the gear bike right they'll put me on an automatic to see it through, definitely gonna do geared though.

Wouldn't mind a bike like the one you posted previously any 125's similar?

That's made me feel a bit better, dont even know why I'm getting nervous for it I'll be thinking there was no need to be once it's done.

I'm doing my 125 I did get told if I can't get the gear bike right they'll put me on an automatic to see it through, definitely gonna do geared though.

Wouldn't mind a bike like the one you posted previously any 125's similar?

I was a bit nervous beforehand but once you get going it really is like riding a bicycle (but a lot more fun!)

The gears can be a bit funny to get used to at first but you'll soon work it out and before you know it you'll be doing it without even thinking about it. Just be careful of the brakes on some of the bike school's bikes - the lower-end 125's sometimes require a bit more stopping distance than you might anticipate, though I did my CBT 10 years ago and the latest 125's look much better quality - nothing to worry about, just pay attention to your instructor and you'll be fine.

I'm afraid I'm not really up to scratch on the latest 125's but the "naked" look is very common and I've seen some good looking ones - I quite like the look of the Hyosung 125 Comet (below) but I don't know if it's a good bike to own, see http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bikereviews/ or other sites for reviews of what other people rate as good 125's.

hyosung-comet-125-250-82ce793b52b4f88935

What I did was just bought the cheapest 125 I could (Czechoslovakian CZ 125 - see below, £100 off a mate's dad) - and used it as a stop-gap before I did my full test. It's very common to have little slips in your early days so I wouldn't advise spending too much on your learner bike

1992-cz-125-image-4-760x570.jpg

CZ 125… made of pig iron, pig skin and pig dung, possibly built by a pig.

I was a bit nervous beforehand but once you get going it really is like riding a bicycle (but a lot more fun!)

The gears can be a bit funny to get used to at first but you'll soon work it out and before you know it you'll be doing it without even thinking about it. Just be careful of the brakes on some of the bike school's bikes - the lower-end 125's sometimes require a bit more stopping distance than you might anticipate, though I did my CBT 10 years ago and the latest 125's look much better quality - nothing to worry about, just pay attention to your instructor and you'll be fine.

I'm afraid I'm not really up to scratch on the latest 125's but the "naked" look is very common and I've seen some good looking ones - I quite like the look of the Hyosung 125 Comet (below) but I don't know if it's a good bike to own, see http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bikereviews/ or other sites for reviews of what other people rate as good 125's.

Alright mate, I did read the post above and gave me some great tips..

Just to let you know did the CBT today and passed!!

I know it's harder to fail but still chuffed ha

Almost did a wheelie up some woman's bonnet on a hill start, she shat it, I'd of been the same.

Great day out anyway, weather was beautiful too.

Another question, is there any difference between the maintenance of a scooter & motorbike costs? My partner reckons scooters are cheaper I'm thinking they'd be the same.

Cheerz again.

hyosung-comet-125-250-82ce793b52b4f88935

What I did was just bought the cheapest 125 I could (Czechoslovakian CZ 125 - see below, £100 off a mate's dad) - and used it as a stop-gap before I did my full test. It's very common to have little slips in your early days so I wouldn't advise spending too much on your learner bike

1992-cz-125-image-4-760x570.jpg

CZ 125… made of pig iron, pig skin and pig dung, possibly built by a pig.

**** knows what I did there ^^^^

Oh yeah and I got my 1st motorbike nod today (Kawasaki Ninja)

Might have been me - lime green bike, black helmet and visor around Leicester?

Congratulations on passing! Hope you enjoyed it

Not sure about the difference in maintenance costs of scooters vs bikes, every bike is different but generally speaking they're all cheap to run and fix, especially compared to cars. My ZX-9R seems to cost no more to maintain than my old Bandit 250 (first bike after passing test) besides tyres, tax and petrol, which naturally increase with bigger bikes. If you're after something really cheap then a Honda C90 is the way to go but... A 125 would be more fun. Find a few bikes you like the look of and get insurance quotes - that might quickly rule a few out

Yeah that's sounds about right I was crossing over blackbird road heading towards Beaumont Leysdown, if so what's the chances of that haha.

Will be looking at some more 125's once I finish work today I wanna be out on the road ASAP!

My GF was trying to convince me that scooters are cheaper =D (nice try)

Yeah that's sounds about right I was crossing over blackbird road heading towards Beaumont Leysdown, if so what's the chances of that haha.

Will be looking at some more 125's once I finish work today I wanna be out on the road ASAP!

Congratulations on passing CBT.  

Take your time at first, and remember to always anticipate the actions of other road users, the vast majority of whom will not have your skill or awareness.  Treat car drivers as dumb and you won't go far wrong !!

Good luck !!

• Like 1

Ah don't think that was me, I commute down Abbey Lane but I nod to everyone (then badmouth anyone who looks without nodding back!)

Yes the GF's and mums will always try to keep you off bikes, particularly fast-looking ones. I'd actually say that scooters are more dangerous as they don't respond as quickly as bikes so it's harder to accelerate out of sticky situations and the few I've ridden felt quite unstable, though I never owned one. Good advice from Deucalion there. It's definitely good to ease yourself into biking. I was following a friend around a bendy road he knew much better than me, low-sided the bike at 40mph and lost all the skin off both my knees - one week after passing the CBT. I was wearing jacket, boots, gloves, helmet but jeans... Always wear the right gear! My knees were so scabbed over I couldn't bend them for nearly a month

• Like 1

Cheerz for the congrats guys will reply properly later.

Need a bit of advice on a bike I'm weighing up the Hyosung Hunoniao HN 125–8

There's one I've got £70 off the asking price to £500, looks the part enough for me and apparently are reliable?

It is a Chinese import so the eyebrows raise straight away but from the research I've done they are meant to be quite decent.

Any ideas? Supposed to be collecting Sunday but would like your opinions, Jenkewye =D

Edit: I've got my eyes on a red yamaha YBR got him down to £700 with helmet and black box at back, full MOT & Tax?

Edited by Kyle_Le_Don

I've only ever had Japanese bikes and like most people, I would be a bit concerned about buying a Chinese bike.  

The things I have heard about them are:

They are made of cheap steel, which corrodes and breaks very easily.

They have almost no resale value.

It can be very hard to source spare parts.

There can be insurance issues with Chinese bikes.

If you are happy to buy it and use it until you pass your test, knowing you will not get any part-ex or resale, then it could be an option.  

But...can you get a second hand Japanese 125 for a similar price?  Even an old Jap 125 should be pretty reliable, and parts should be readily available too.  It will hold together better and as there is always a market for 125s, if you look after it you have a good chance of getting most of your purchase price back if and when you decide to move up.

I personally wouldn't advise buying Chinese, not yet anyway.  Maybe in the future they will catch up.

But they haven't yet.

Here's a list of Visordown's top 10 best cheap 125s.  It's only their opinion obviously, but maybe worth a read.  Visordown is quite entertaining too, and it's free, so the price is right !!

:thumbup:

Edited by Deucalion