Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Motorbikes are brilliant

2 hours ago, Nick said:

I'd love to get the bike off trickle charge and out on the road... But its snow and ice here at the moment... Slicks might not be for the now. :(

The solution - there's a New Year's sale at DFS too... 

2019-Suzuki-Burgman-400-ABS2.thumb.jpg.67dea84e9732cab9dd9fa89e96658a07.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

The solution - there's a New Year's sale at DFS too... 

2019-Suzuki-Burgman-400-ABS2.thumb.jpg.67dea84e9732cab9dd9fa89e96658a07.jpg

Let’s not upset Col and go burgman bashing again but unless I’m sat on the back with the wife driving ferrying me around Greek bars you’ll never see me on one of them.

• Haha 1

I'm not massively into bikes but my Dad and Uncle are and they go to the TT regularly.

I stumbled on a documentary on YouTube last night called 'Tourist Trophy: Closer to the edge'. Fvck me, those riders are absolutely insane! 

6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'm not massively into bikes but my Dad and Uncle are and they go to the TT regularly.

I stumbled on a documentary on YouTube last night called 'Tourist Trophy: Closer to the edge'. Fvck me, those riders are absolutely insane! 

And you get to stand feet away from them as they go by ..  the most exciting motorsport bar none. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

And you get to stand feet away from them as they go by ..  the most exciting motorsport bar none. 

Yeah, I never understood the attraction or why my Dad and Uncle bothered going over there every year but I totally get it now. 

Just now, Izzy said:

Yeah, I never understood the attraction or why my Dad and Uncle bothered going over there every year but I totally get it now. 

It’s not just that Muzzet ..  the whole trip is amazing ..  there is so much to see and do and the camaraderie is fantastic ..  belting round the course on a bike or a hire car on mad Sunday is brilliant ..  a trip that everyone (bike lover or not) has to do once in their life.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Countryfox said:

It’s not just that Muzzet ..  the whole trip is amazing ..  there is so much to see and do and the camaraderie is fantastic ..  belting round the course on a bike or a hire car on mad Sunday is brilliant ..  a trip that everyone (bike lover or not) has to do once in their life.  

The only thing about it that appeals is going when the crowds aren’t there. I can’t stand the company of other bikers in the main. Bike show - hideous. Weekend bashes with rawk music - hideous. Group rides as they wobble all over the shot - hideous. Gimme a long distance solo tour over communal activities any day of the week.

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

The only thing about it that appeals is going when the crowds aren’t there. I can’t stand the company of other bikers in the main. Bike show - hideous. Weekend bashes with rawk music - hideous. Group rides as they wobble all over the shot - hideous. Gimme a long distance solo tour over communal activities any day of the week.

A friend lived in Peel for several years. I can definitely testify to the fact that from a riders perspective it was far more fun visiting the island and haring up the mountain when there was no one else around barring the locals and the late Norman Wisdom. Saying that @Countryfox is absolutely right - the TT is a mecca, and any biker should make the journey at least once in their life.

As a bike racing obsessive, the pedigree of the place is unparalleled, and I've visited cathedrals of racing such as old Assen, Spa, Daytona, the NW and Indy. But I must also add that road racing horrifies me now. The speeds, the risks and the toll have become too great and for that reason, I prefer closed/short circuit racing.

In the 1970s Barry Sheene was instrumental in campaigning to have the IOM removed from the GP calendar. This was purportedly on the grounds of safety reasons (he did the same with Imatra). The real reason though, was that the tight bastard didn't want to pay the exorbitant fee to get his caravan over on the ferry.  

Can I also add that the Island is a very, very strange place. 

23 hours ago, Izzy said:

I'm not a biker either but take my hat off to the bravery of the riders. Have enjoyed watching TT on tv since the 60s. Mike Hailwood,  Giocomo A, Bill Ivy, Phil Read and Co were household names.

3 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Mike Hailwood,  

The greatest motorcycle racer of all time.

3 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Bill Ivy, 

Tragic loss that. Particularly since he came back to two wheel racing to fund a new career in Formula 2. 

On 06/01/2022 at 17:02, Blarmy said:

Is that thing huge, or just have tiny wheels?

Alas I had to sell my superb Burgman 650 Executive due to having to buy Mrs Col a new car (yes, I know… I’m too nice)

I can affirm that Burgmans are both huge and do have smaller wheels 

I’d recommend to anyone wanting to get one… do it.

Not only are they good fun, but they are so practical! If you get the top box and panniers that you can do pretty much everything with it, from shopping, to touring. Best bike I’ve ever had as I’m not one of those blokes who does a quick blast on a super bike every other weekend. The Burgman was used every day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

But then you'd miss the bit where the Angels, the Outlaws and Satans Slaves all kick off ...   :D

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

A friend lived in Peel for several years. I can definitely testify to the fact that from a riders perspective it was far more fun visiting the island and haring up the mountain when there was no one else around barring the locals and the late Norman Wisdom. Saying that @Countryfox is absolutely right - the TT is a mecca, and any biker should make the journey at least once in their life.

As a bike racing obsessive, the pedigree of the place is unparalleled, and I've visited cathedrals of racing such as old Assen, Spa, Daytona, the NW and Indy. But I must also add that road racing horrifies me now. The speeds, the risks and the toll have become too great and for that reason, I prefer closed/short circuit racing.

In the 1970s Barry Sheene was instrumental in campaigning to have the IOM removed from the GP calendar. This was purportedly on the grounds of safety reasons (he did the same with Imatra). The real reason though, was that the tight bastard didn't want to pay the exorbitant fee to get his caravan over on the ferry.  

Can I also add that the Island is a very, very strange place. 

We used to ride down to Le Mans, but it was more about the booze, laughs and cheap Gittanes. Never really understood standing on a corner to catch 20 milliseconds of some nutter flying past at scary speeds.

Did enjoy the film with Guy Martin though.

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

We used to ride down to Le Mans, but it was more about the booze, laughs and cheap Gittanes. Never really understood standing on a corner to catch 20 milliseconds of some nutter flying past at scary speeds.

Did enjoy the film with Guy Martin though.

Perhaps motocross or scrambling as it was called is better. Keeping in my look back who recalls Dave Bickers, Jeff Smith and Arthur Lampkin etc on BBC 

29 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Perhaps motocross or scrambling as it was called is better. Keeping in my look back who recalls Dave Bickers, Jeff Smith and Arthur Lampkin etc on BBC 

Used to do the Wild and Wooly on Boxing Days, but again it was more about necking flasks and buggering off to the pub to escape the cold :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...