Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Motorbikes are brilliant

Guest seanfox778

Got my first sports bike today. I have a stupid question.... How do I know if the fuel is low? There's no gauge and I think I ran out today with no warning, i switched to the reserve and topped up at a nearby petrol station. Should there have been a light? It's a 1999 bike. 

ad_0_1589878012170.jpg

10 hours ago, seanfox778 said:

Got my first sports bike today. I have a stupid question.... How do I know if the fuel is low? There's no gauge and I think I ran out today with no warning, i switched to the reserve and topped up at a nearby petrol station. Should there have been a light? It's a 1999 bike. 

ad_0_1589878012170.jpg

Take a picture of the dash display would you?

Surely there’s a light that should come on if there’s no digital display option? Light usually means you’ve got 30 miles or so left on mine.

If there’s no light coming on I’m guessing it’ll be the sensor or a bulb... worth getting checked out. Running out of fuel can be a bitch on a bike and a little scary if it happens at a full throttle moment....

Edited by Swan Lesta

10 hours ago, seanfox778 said:

ad_0_1589878012170.jpg

I've got the 9 from the same era, there's no fuel gauge so just make sure you have the fuel knob (left side, south of the seat) set to On, then when that runs out turn it to Reserve and get to a petrol station lol. Alternatively you can open the fuel cap when you're sat on it and wobble the bike. You'll see the fuel sloshing around, if it's low you'll only hear it and if it's REALLY slow it'll be evident in that the sloshing is quite high pitched

You'll learn from using it roughly how much you're using it. I used to have the 2001 ZX6R, from what I remember when commuting or riding sensibly you'd get about 50mpg, when thrashing it it would be about 40mpg

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I've got the 9 from the same era, there's no fuel gauge so just make sure you have the fuel knob (left side, south of the seat) set to On, then when that runs out turn it to Reserve and get to a petrol station lol. Alternatively you can open the fuel cap when you're sat on it and wobble the bike. You'll see the fuel sloshing around, if it's low you'll only hear it and if it's REALLY slow it'll be evident in that the sloshing is quite high pitched

You'll learn from using it roughly how much you're using it. I used to have the 2001 ZX6R, from what I remember when commuting or riding sensibly you'd get about 50mpg, when thrashing it it would be about 40mpg

Wow. Reminds me of a crosser I used to ride!

• Like 1

Guest seanfox778
2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Take a picture of the dash display would you?

Surely there’s a light that should come on if there’s no digital display option? Light usually means you’ve got 30 miles or so left on mine.

If there’s no light coming on I’m guessing it’ll be the sensor or a bulb... worth getting checked out. Running out of fuel can be a bitch on a bike and a little scary if it happens at a full throttle moment....

1 hour ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Thanks for your help, guys. Looks like I'm strapping a jerry can to my back instead of a backpack lol There is a trip display so I'll reset that everytime I fuel up and I'll get a rough idea soon enough,  I'm sure. 

1 minute ago, seanfox778 said:

Thanks for your help, guys. Looks like I'm strapping a jerry can to my back instead of a backpack lol There is a trip display so I'll reset that everytime I fuel up and I'll get a rough idea soon enough,  I'm sure. 

At least you've not got a Firestorm, me and a friend rode down to Spain a few years ago and we had to stop at practically every petrol station. He'd only get 90 miles from a full tank at motorway speeds!

1 hour ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

At least you've not got a Firestorm, me and a friend rode down to Spain a few years ago and we had to stop at practically every petrol station. He'd only get 90 miles from a full tank at motorway speeds!

Oooh what I’d give for 90 miles... :ph34r:

Just now, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

What do you ride that gives less than 90 miles? My guess is mk1 Superduke or some kind of electric job?

I have a BMW S1KRR - ridden conservatively it’ll probably do 120 miles on a motorway (but it’s not really a motorway kinda machine) Out of a tank when on the hammer I probably get 80-90ish being honest.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 19/05/2020 at 20:44, Guest seanfox778 said:

ad_0_1589878012170.jpg

Tip it on the side and see if any comes out of the fill cap.

Just now, Saxondale said:

Why on the Vespa and not the Tiger?

Local scooter club bloke organised it all - seven days following Lambrettas breaking down and 125s going 40mph. I've got a week to kill and I'm not going abroad this year. Next year I'll take the Tiger to Europe.

19 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Local scooter club bloke organised it all - seven days following Lambrettas breaking down and 125s going 40mph. I've got a week to kill and I'm not going abroad this year. Next year I'll take the Tiger to Europe.

Fair play, enjoy! 

On 02/03/2019 at 21:12, Saxondale said:

Got my first 'big' bike on Friday - it's a Suzuki GSX-650F.

It's bloody brilliant. The engine is as smooth as silk and it loves to rev. It's - for me - the perfect balance between sport and comfort/practicality. 

Took it out for a little ride on Friday, but was hoping to get out on this weekend. Tomorrow is going to be horrible according to the forecast.

The bike came with a nice Scorpion can. It's still got the baffle in, which I'm going to remove tomorrow for added obnoxiousness.

The Suzuki is going. I’m waiting to pick up a Kawasaki Ninja 650 in the KRT colour scheme. 

The Suzuki has been absolutely brilliant. Though mainly used for blatting around at the weekends, it’s done a few long-distance trips, including a little jaunt over to the Netherlands in 2019 (travelling back through Belgium and France), loaded up with my tent etc. Never missed a beat.

Can’t wait for the new bike. It’s a broadly similar machine, except two cylinder. It’s has ABS, which the GSX doesn’t - I’ve learned that locking-up brakes is a generally bad thing! As well as loving the design of the Ninja, it suits me ergonomically (i.e. it has a lower seat). It’s also lighter than the Suzuki and the handling should be a little bit more nimble.

• Like 1

Even though my long term job security is questionable following the pandemic, I was so pissed off and inconsolable after the Newcastle loss I impulsively bought a new bike the next day. I wonder if they'll return my deposit? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Even though my long term job security is questionable following the pandemic, I was so pissed off and inconsolable after the Newcastle loss I impulsively bought a new bike the next day. I wonder if they'll return my deposit? 

I paid my £2500 deposit on the Tiger at the start of Lockdown1 assuming they'd safe deliver. I got a bit frustrated seeing other dealers posting pics of bikes with their new customers so asked for my deposit back. You can guess the answer. Took them two months to give me my machine.

What did you buy?