Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Motorbikes are brilliant

On 02/07/2021 at 10:47, Line-X said:

@Daggers Here it is. Been undergoing some mods since I collected it in May. Cat delete and a new can, an S&S slip on and link pipe. The 'Wrecking Crew' factory race team in the States use them, although next year I plan to fit the same full twin high level S&S system that you see on their competition bikes as I will continue to make it look progressively more like a pedigree flat track racer as opposed to the road going monstrosity that was released. The stock exhausts (even the later Akrapovičs) look and sound awful. For the time being, I like this can, no dB reducer the thing sounds so sweet banging and crackling on the overrun. Needs some dirt tyres, which will look authentic and compromise the grip, but these things are supposed to slew about. Always loved flat track since I was a kid and the American riders like Roberts, Rainey and Lawson started invading 500cc GP with their audacious rear wheel steering. I've owned 14 motorcycles and this bike is an amalgamation of all of them. It's surprisingly nimble, I can chuck it about and get my knee down (if I wear a one piece) and ride it like a sports bike. But I didn't buy it for that. It's a flat track racer...(or will be soon), it's a café racer, it's a street scrambler, it's a cruiser, it's a hot rod, it's a giant dirt bike, it's a naked retro...but above all, it's whatever you want it to be and it's timeless. ****ing love it.

Some of these pictures still have the billboard on the back prior to obtaining a smaller plate...

FTR1.jpg.8f9e510385d4f123de84416ef702fb38.jpg

FTR2.jpg.d39deade08b0ea5a71424ade2733b15f.jpg

FTR3.jpg.e55d60c22f41f74c382849adc4981ae4.jpg

FTR5.jpg.6c91392868c8f7a582f3ce708bf59f28.jpg

FTR6.jpg.3acfdb55055ff3cac2ce13064ad1fec8.jpg

FTR7.jpg.f1f2827cda83cb983a0526702c2b12a3.jpg

FTR8.thumb.jpg.c9d5a3f4c3d3d0da94f77fb316aac68b.jpg

That is Simply a Great machine

• Like 2

On 02/07/2021 at 09:47, Line-X said:

@Daggers Here it is. Been undergoing some mods since I collected it in May. Cat delete and a new can, an S&S slip on and link pipe. The 'Wrecking Crew' factory race team in the States use them, although next year I plan to fit the same full twin high level S&S system that you see on their competition bikes as I will continue to make it look progressively more like a pedigree flat track racer as opposed to the road going monstrosity that was released. The stock exhausts (even the later Akrapovičs) look and sound awful. For the time being, I like this can, no dB reducer the thing sounds so sweet banging and crackling on the overrun. Needs some dirt tyres, which will look authentic and compromise the grip, but these things are supposed to slew about. Always loved flat track since I was a kid and the American riders like Roberts, Rainey and Lawson started invading 500cc GP with their audacious rear wheel steering. I've owned 14 motorcycles and this bike is an amalgamation of all of them. It's surprisingly nimble, I can chuck it about and get my knee down (if I wear a one piece) and ride it like a sports bike. But I didn't buy it for that. It's a flat track racer...(or will be soon), it's a café racer, it's a street scrambler, it's a cruiser, it's a hot rod, it's a giant dirt bike, it's a naked retro...but above all, it's whatever you want it to be and it's timeless. ****ing love it.

Some of these pictures still have the billboard on the back prior to obtaining a smaller plate...

FTR1.jpg.8f9e510385d4f123de84416ef702fb38.jpg

FTR2.jpg.d39deade08b0ea5a71424ade2733b15f.jpg

FTR3.jpg.e55d60c22f41f74c382849adc4981ae4.jpg

FTR5.jpg.6c91392868c8f7a582f3ce708bf59f28.jpg

FTR6.jpg.3acfdb55055ff3cac2ce13064ad1fec8.jpg

FTR7.jpg.f1f2827cda83cb983a0526702c2b12a3.jpg

FTR8.thumb.jpg.c9d5a3f4c3d3d0da94f77fb316aac68b.jpg

You rascal. That is quite something.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m on the cusp of purchasing a Leo Vince LV One exhaust for my Ninja 650. The stock exhaust is pretty quiet, though it does have a nice tone in the upper rev range.

On this bike, it’s a one piece system, so you have to replace the whole lot. This limits the amount of choice. There is of course the factory option Akrapovic system, but even used examples are pretty expensive and - being honest - it doesn’t sound that good.

15 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

I’m on the cusp of purchasing a Leo Vince LV One exhaust for my Ninja 650. The stock exhaust is pretty quiet, though it does have a nice tone in the upper rev range.

On this bike, it’s a one piece system, so you have to replace the whole lot. This limits the amount of choice. There is of course the factory option Akrapovic system, but even used examples are pretty expensive and - being honest - it doesn’t sound that good.

Won't you need a remap too?

12 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Akras don't tend to. I had a race system on my R1 and it only came on song above 6 grand. Great exhausts though. So are Leo Vince. 

You could consider a cat delete as well. 

• Like 1

Once of the first things I'd always do with a stock motorcycle was change the exhaust. I remember the hours of fun re-jetting the carbs.

I have a Power Vision 3 for my current bike which is without exception the worst fuelled motorcycle ever to go from showroom to street. The main problem is that it is excessively leaned out during open loop mode, presumably for the European market/Euro5, meaning that it has an infuriating cold start problem. Aside from five minutes to warm up before you dare get on the thing, even at operating temperature, it's also prone to leaning out the mix at low revs/closed throttle and as a consequence, cutting out. It also splashes the gas to compensate - causing the bike to surge into corners and tight situations. Even though I have a slipper clutch (which is beautifully balanced and does not as some are prone to doing sacrifice engine braking), I still habitually blip the throttle on the downshift. The only way around this is an aftermarket map. The current re-flash from Dynojet has largely addressed the cut outs although seems to have bizarrely exacerbated the cold start issue. the surging is still there, albeit to a lesser extent, but it's no problem catching it with the clutch. The bike is like a bi-polar girlfriend - love it to death but the ECU is psychotic, possessed! Far from a re-map, I need a priest to sprinkle some holy water in the garage. Anyone remember Christine? I'm happy to say though, it isn't trying to kill me any longer. Joking, I wouldn't have this bike any other way - it's a challenge, the cold start issue is a ball ache, and the cutting out was serious, but now that's eliminated, once warmed up with all the electronic aids turned off, which I prefer, its ridiculously addictive. 

It's had a cat delete and a link pipe connects the headers to a straight through exhaust - baffles and dB killer removed. It sounds like howitzer on the overrun, but the consequences of tampering with back pressure will always be detrimental to any tune, however optimal it seems. I want to fit the twin shotgun flat tracker style high level exhaust (which will sap some of the BHP) and is ludicrously impractical, but if that was a concern, I'd have bought a BMW R 1200GS or a ****ing Yamaha Tracer. Since when has riding a motorcycle ever been a rational choice? Need to shed the front mud guard, stick on some dirt tyres and make it as raw and spartan as possible, so it at least vaguely resembles the throroughbred flat track racer that it purported to be in the marketing. Like one of these, the real thing - 

FTR750-Flat-Tracker.jpg.8b3cacb443c7226009bfee051a4eff11.jpg

Indian-FTR750.jpg.5b2718f86d3d441338f190c4fac53b3a.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saxondale said:

I had the 650 version and it was superb. It just did everything. Can only imagine how quick the 1250 is.

Straight line doesn’t feel up there with my old GSX14, which was a bit beastly, but it certainly shifts to licence losing levels in a reasonable time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2021 at 10:04, Saxondale said:

On 24/11/2021 at 10:29, Line-X said:

Akras don't tend to. I had a race system on my R1 and it only came on song above 6 grand. Great exhausts though. So are Leo Vince. 

You could consider a cat delete as well. 

Been looking further into this. The version that the UK distributor sells is cheaper than the European type approved version because it doesn’t have a cat. Apparently, the only restriction for UK road use is the dB(A) compliance - which goes out the window anyway if you remove the dB killer. 

Probably means I wouldn’t be able to take the bike abroad? I don’t know.

• 1 month later...