Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Mens quarterfinals day coming up! Potential for some good matches there.

First up on Centre there's Murray v Querrey.

Now, Murray leads the H2H 7-1 and has beaten Querrey at Wimbledon before, as well as a reasonably routine win against him in the Aus Open this year (the round before inexplicably falling apart against Zverev). This would suggest that he won't have too many problems here...but Querrey does have the serve and the hitting power to be a force on grasscourts - beat Djokovic last year, of course - and if he has his sights lined up and Murray has an off day then he's perfectly capable of pulling off a shock. With that in mind, however, I think Murray has shown enough steel so far to be able to negate the Querrey serve and defend his own against someone with a poor return game for long enough to get the job done - with the long match Querrey played against Anderson a couple of days ago perhaps becoming a factor as the match goes on. Straights, or maybe 4 with the first two shared - plus at least one tiebreak.

Then, there's Federer v Raonic.

Fed has shown pretty close to top form so far this year, having brushed apart all opposition with next to minimal effort. However, now he faces his first real challenge in the form of the guy who beat him in the semifinal last year and a solid, hard-hitting grasscourter who has developed his game to be more than just a servebot. He showed last year that he could deal with Fed's grasscourt artistry and throw it back in his face with brutal precision. Think this one could be a very close one, going the distance depending on how Raonic starts, or Fed could pick apart his service games right away and run away with it...and taking all that into account I'm going to say something in between and pick Fed to get his revenge in four really close sets.

First up on court 1 there's Muller v Cilic.

Muller showed an immense amount of both craft and grit to finally put away Nadal on Monday, and I think that's going to come back to bite him here. Cilic is a bad matchup for a craftsman like Muller in many ways - very underrated, very adept grasscourter with a lot of power behind him, a big serve, and having won his fourth round match easily and in quick time I think he'll bring too much power to the table against an opponent who likes guile but may well still be suffering, especially if the match goes on for any length of time. Cilic in straights, or perhaps 4, though I'm hoping Muller will do enough to make an impression.

Then finally there is Djokovic v Berdych.

I've picked Berdych any amount of times to spring a shock against one of the higher ranked players so many times, and almost always I've gotten my fingers burned. It's well known that if he can bring form and enough mental strength to the occasion he can do great stuff here - witness his blowout against Djoko back in the 2010 semifinal for example - but he always seems to fit into the pattern of getting through easily enough against smaller names before always falling against the big ones. A perennial quarterfinalist. Djoko, however, seems to be having some problems too - picking up a lot of knocks to various areas of his body, or so he claimed after his fourth round win today. That win, however, was down in quick time and in style and I think he's in decent shape to take on Berdych tomorrow without much bothering him. This one is the most difficult of the four to predict...so, purely on instinct, I'm going to stick my neck out for the Berdbrain again and say that he has a day to remember, overpowering Djoko in four or maybe five great sets.

1 minute ago, Manwell Pablo said:

He is if he's not tanking.

Can be a devious little ****er it'd not surprise me if he springs back into life in the fifth.

If his injury has finally caught up with him it's curtains.

This.

We'll only know at the start of the fifth (provided it goes to that).

4 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

He is if he's not tanking.

Can be a devious little ****er it'd not surprise me if he springs back into life in the fifth.

If his injury has finally caught up with him it's curtains.

He looks injured unfortunately, struggling to hit the ball with any kind of pace and the serve isn't much better. He will fight on but expect similar score in the fifth

Edited by foxes_rule1978

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

He can't call a timeout because he had the injury before the game apparently.

Well the commentators said that and it's technically a rule

Give he's claimed to be fine for a week and a half Im pretty sure he'd get away with it, I doubt it'd stop him if he thought it'd make a difference put it that way.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

He should walk to the net and shake hands now, quite frankly. Playing on just risks aggravating things further.

Damn shame.

a rubbish rule too, we would have liked to see some proper tennis here, can't believe such a rule exist

Edited by foxes_rule1978

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

He should walk to the net and shake hands now, quite frankly. Playing on just risks aggravating things further.

Damn shame.

Hmm dunno, He's got a month till Montreal and it's only a set.

118mph serve just gone down as well.

I think while it's one break he may as well stay out there.

Although hip problem or not, he aint getting anywhere while Sam serving like that.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

You do think "if only" about the second set - if he'd got this done in straights he might have had time during the two days rest to get things at least close to right for the SF. Ah well.

Hopefully from here Fed gets his moment in the sun once more.