Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

1 hour ago, Lovejoy said:

Backed Muguruza since round one, she's definitely playing some decent stuff. I watched her against Kerber and thought it's a bit of an embarrassment that the number one seed can't even serve. Did get to the final here in '15 so that should stand her in good stead having already won a slam.

I think Cilic would give Federer a match in the men's. Could easily be a straight sets win that said lol.

Muguruza has had a solid two weeks, best she's looked for a while as I said the other day. She's been pretty poor since winning the French, under Conchita Martinez's full guidance seems to have helped a lot though over the course of this Wimbledon, just the perfect fit. If this final was on any other surface I would favour Muguruza, as it's on Grass I'd make Venus favourite. Muguruza is more capable of imploding, she needs a good serving day.

That's if Fed gets past Berdych of course ;) If it turns out to be Fed vs Cilic I'd go with Fed in four. Another match like last year though would be an absolute treat.

Tight margins despite the straight set win, good display by Berdych, plenty of clutch moments, two poorly played tie-breaks though in which Fed upped his level.

Will still go for Fed in four over Cilic, can definitely see Marin winning at least one set.

Muguruza should stick with Martinez throughout the US Open season, might as well fire Sumyk, partnership hasn't worked for months.

Will be interesting to see where she goes from here, she became a mess after winning the French.

So after all the headlines about Murray correcting the casual sexism the other day when a journalist said Querrey was the first American to reach a slam semi final since 2009, when obviously he's the first male American as there's been a few female Americans make slam semis in that time, they just said on the BBC that Muguruza was only the second Spaniard to win Wimbledon after Martinez. Nadal anyone? 

Edited by Facecloth

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

So after all the headlines about Murray correcting the casual sexism the other day when a journalist said Querrey was the first American to reach a slam semi final since 2009, when obviously he's the first male American as there's been a few female Americans make slam semis in that time, they just said on the BBC that Muguruza was only the second Spaniard to win Wimbledon after Martinez. Nadal anyone? 

I don't get the uproar about this. They are two completely different tournaments, why would the men be mentioned when talking about the women? Nobody gets upset that the Bryan brothers don't get mentioned in these stats, still Wimbledon. 

4 hours ago, lildave3 said:

I don't get the uproar about this. They are two completely different tournaments, why would the men be mentioned when talking about the women? Nobody gets upset that the Bryan brothers don't get mentioned in these stats, still Wimbledon. 

That's kind of the point I'm making. It's been mentioned numerous times by Barker and co how great it was that Murray "corrected" the journalist, but the days later go and do it themselves just the opposite way round. If they're going to show outrage when someone discounts the women when talking about the men then don't then discount the men when talking about the women.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Question for the statto's.....who was the last man to win Wimbledon without dropping a set?

Not 100% sure without checking but I think it was Borg in 76.

Edit: I checked, it was Borg in 76, in fact he's the only one in the open era.

Edited by Facecloth

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Wow! Do you think Fed will do it today?

I'm surprised he hasn't done it before tbh.  

Looking back at his record, he always seems to drop a set in the final even if he's swept everyone away in the other rounds, so maybe not.

30 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I'm surprised he hasn't done it before tbh.  

Looking back at his record, he always seems to drop a set in the final even if he's swept everyone away in the other rounds, so maybe not.

No disrespect intended to Cilic but he's probably not at the standard of Federers other Wimbledon final opponents.

but yeah I'm surprised he hasn't done it before. And Sampras!

3 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

No disrespect intended to Cilic but he's probably not at the standard of Federers other Wimbledon final opponents.

but yeah I'm surprised he hasn't done it before. And Sampras!

Fed hasn't really played many folks in Wimby finals as it happens - Rafa, Nole, Murray, Roddick and Phillipoussis are the ones he's faced across 10 finals, playing Phil and Murray only once. So yeah, you've got a fair point there.

Anyway, don't really expect him to have much trouble today but he may drop a set.

• Like 1