Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SamL

Carlisle United

Rubbish. The police have been doing this kind of thing for years, yes, even during the last Tory administration.

I was replying to the quote "They will use the old "to keep us safe" line ".

The policing (and the behavour of some of the fans) was much worse under the last Tory administration - true.

The difference is that they didn't announce they were going to hold you in the ground so that you'd miss the last train out of town, tell you to make alternative travel arrangements (about 2 weeks before the game after people have already booked their tickets), and then tell you it is for your own safety. That is classic "spin". I'm sure the Tories will be using spin just like Labour have if they get back in.

I was replying to the quote "They will use the old "to keep us safe" line ".

The policing (and the behavour of some of the fans) was much worse under the last Tory administration - true.

The difference is that they didn't announce they were going to hold you in the ground so that you'd miss the last train out of town, tell you to make alternative travel arrangements (about 2 weeks before the game after people have already booked their tickets), and then tell you it is for your own safety. That is classic "spin". I'm sure the Tories will be using spin just like Labour have if they get back in.

True the police never told you why you were being held back, and back in the day, the announcement would have been made with about 15 minutes to go, so I would guess that they would say giving us two weeks notice is a bonus!!

However, I don't honestly believe the motives are political, and neither is the reasoning behind telling us. There are a lot of prejudices against football fans held by the police, and this action will be taken to "prevent public disorder" using powers in the Public Order Act. I really do question this; they can't use breach of the peace, as the threat has to be "immediate". Because of this, I just think it boils down to a police force too scared that they cannot handle a crowd. :dunno:

I am tempted, but.. I've seen a new jacket :wub: so :/

See what the bank account is like after a bit of Christmas shopping.

Ask for the jacket for christmas?

True the police never told you why you were being held back, and back in the day, the announcement would have been made with about 15 minutes to go, so I would guess that they would say giving us two weeks notice is a bonus!!

However, I don't honestly believe the motives are political, and neither is the reasoning behind telling us. There are a lot of prejudices against football fans held by the police, and this action will be taken to "prevent public disorder" using powers in the Public Order Act. I really do question this; they can't use breach of the peace, as the threat has to be "immediate". Because of this, I just think it boils down to a police force too scared that they cannot handle a crowd. :dunno:

This would back up what Ross Kemp said earlier in the thread.

That my dear, is true :appl:

Not that Cumbria police have much experience of this.

Apart from us and Leeds, I doubt any visiting team will bring 500 fans to Brunton Park this season.

Archived