Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

We can't play on the same day.

Next season City & tigers will not be allowed to play on the same day as it seems the emergency services can't cope with the possibility of a 50K joint attendance.

Now this wouldn't be problem if the respective authorities of Football & Rugby consulted with each other but we know from previous experience that they seem incapable.

It makes you wonder how the authorities associated with sporting events that regularly attract over 50K manage?

From the Merc.

Leicester City and Leicester Tigers are to be banned from playing home games on the same day next season because of safety concerns.

Watchdogs say the combination of the bigger Welford Road stadium - plus the predicted rise in attendance if City make it back into the Championship - could lead to gridlock.

They fear 999 crews could struggle to get to the scene of an emergency because of the numbers of fans' cars on the roads.

Tigers will be able to house 24,500 fans when the first stage of re-development is complete and plans are in place to take the capacity up to 30,000.

City's average attendance in League One this season has been under 20,000 but this will rise in the Championship.

The decision by Leicester City Council's Safety Advisory Group leaves the two clubs having to thrash out the issue of alternative dates.

The demands of satellite TV broadcasters is also likely to have an impact on when games are played.

Adrian Russell, the group's chairman, said: "If we have gridlock around the two grounds and there is an emergency situation, it would be difficult to cope.

"It's a unique situation with the grounds being in such close proximity to each other and we have taken an early decision that it is prudent not to play on the same day next season.

"We have discussed it with the clubs and they will now have to work together when the fixtures come out to avoid clashes."

In previous seasons, the two clubs have had staggered kick-offs on the same day, but this does not go far enough, according to Russell, who added: "The emergency services may have concerns over public safety so there needs to be a greater degree of separation."

Cliff Ginnetta, chairman of the Leicester City Supporters Club, said: "It's already a problem when Tigers are at home as well and I can only see it getting worse next season so I'm not surprised by this move."

City chief executive Lee Hoos said the issue was first raised at a fans meeting in December.

He said: "The Safety Advisory Group indicated that we are not going to be able to play on the same day as Tigers, or operate staggered kick-offs, next season because the paramount concern is safety."

David Clayton, Tigers managing director, said: "Every season we work closely with Leicester City and our respective governing bodies with the aim of minimising any fixture clashes. This will continue."

Given the rugby fans are incredibly placid and a city the size of Leicester should be able to cope with a 50'000 crowd, that seems really pathetic to me.

And if given a bit of thought should be a rare event.

How are they going to cope when we are back in the Premiership and have to expand our stadium to 45,000-50,000 cause of the demand for tickets?

Long way off... but you never know! lol

they'll probably make us play the first half on saturday and the second half on sunday....

Next season City & tigers will not be allowed to play on the same day as it seems the emergency services can't cope with the possibility of a 50K joint attendance.

Now this wouldn't be problem if the respective authorities of Football & Rugby consulted with each other but we know from previous experience that they seem incapable.

It makes you wonder how the authorities associated with sporting events that regularly attract over 50K manage?

From the Merc.

I imagine the reasons given will be that they're in much bigger cities with many more emergency services. Oh, and

"It's a unique situation with the grounds being in such close proximity to each other and we have taken an early decision that it is prudent not to play on the same day next season."

How are they going to cope when we are back in the Premiership and have to expand our stadium to 45,000-50,000 cause of the demand for tickets?

Long way off... but you never know! lol

What about when we're a regular top 6 club and we expand the stadium to 55,000? :whistle:

From the Merc.

It's pathetic.

So basically we will have to re-arrange our games to accommodate them like usual, Based on the majority of the time what's new? :rolleyes:

We even have to move our games when they play at our stadium. I know the league rules state that all the teams must KO at the same time on the same day but i'm sorry that's the Tigers problem not ours, perhaps they should have planned the demolition of their stadium abit better?!

So basically we will have to re-arrange our games to accommodate them like usual, Based on the majority of the time what's new? :rolleyes:

We even have to move our games when they play at our stadium. I know the league rules state that all the teams must KO at the same time on the same day but i'm sorry that's the Tigers problem not ours, perhaps they should have planned the demolition of their stadium abit better?!

too true.

whole situations ridiculous.

Why City games are the ones that are moved aswell is beyond me... If it gets moved to the friday, i can't go because i have to work... all because the egg-chasers can't play their game on a different day.... Great

1-0 to the gayball enthusiasts (Rugby Fans)

It's pathetic.

What she said.

Good news for me, I struggle to make Saturday games. I appreciate though its a bastards for 99% of City's fans so I'm not happy about it etither.

Tbh mate, I think the Tigers will be moved more often than us.

I imagine the reasons given will be that they're in much bigger cities with many more emergency services. Oh, and

"It's a unique situation with the grounds being in such close proximity to each other and we have taken an early decision that it is prudent not to play on the same day next season."

that's not true at all. just shows how these wankers at the council haven't got a clue. our club is rapidly becoming a joke, which is a shame because the team are finally starting to make us look like a proper football club on the pitch. this ruling means that we'll have to change our match dates because the trend is that the tigers have increasingly been given priority and usage of our stadium when they're prepared to pay. this shouldn't be happening.

if we allow ourselves to be rolled over by a load of egg-chasing stuck-up twats it will be really embarrassing. we must be the only city-based football club in the country who regularly capitulate to the demands of a rugby club. this final match of the season debacle is a case in point. it's not our fault that the tigers wanted to expand their ground and thus can't use it for their final match. that's their problem. if they want to expand their ground that's fine with me but i really have got a problem when Leicester City FC puts a Leicester Tigers fixture ahead of a city fixture. i couldn't give a flying fook if the egg-chaser regulations means they have to play their final match on a specific date. i really coudn't. this is the tigers' mess and they should have thought of this much earlier - early enough so that we could plan a different date and we wouldn't have to move. am i the only one that thinks this whole episode about the final match is completely humiliating? other clubs must look on us as a complete laughing stock.

our decline in recent years and the success of the tigers has seen a gradual trend in them becoming more important than us - even tho we still attract bigger crowds than them at the lowest point in our whole history. this will continue as long as we are outside the premiership and i can guarantee that with them having european games and more matches on the TV we will have to move more often than them than they will for us. i'm really fed up and completely disappointed.

please stop whining about the Tigers they get moved far more often then we do, in fact its only in the past couple of seasons we've moved at all, and to think a lot of you call them arrogant

To be honest, Jimmy, a lot of Tiggers fans are just as unhappy about this as we are. They would like to say goodbye to the old stand at the last game of the season, and they don't like to play at the Walkers in any case.

To be honest, Jimmy, a lot of Tiggers fans are just as unhappy about this as we are. They would like to say goodbye to the old stand at the last game of the season, and they don't like to play at the Walkers in any case.

This case is a separate issue obviously, poor planning to say the least

it was more a general point

Archived