Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicesterseddon

The Drum

113 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of having a drum inside Filbert Way?

• Yay
    • Nay

i noticed against brighton that jobber and his drum weren't there, and this got me thinking whether it's a good thing. the atmosphere against brighton was dire but that would've been the same anyway given how flat the match was/small crowd/lack of away fans, etc. on other occasions however i have thought that when the drum hasn't been there the atmosphere has not suffered.

most of the clubs that have drummers (wigan etc.) seem to have shite atmospheres. indeed now i come to think of it, having a drum is more often than not a sign that the atmosphere is rubbish. also it's viewed by many fans (including me) as a bit 'small-time'. it sounds particularly crap when all you can hear is a drum but no singing, and it's so embarrassing when a large away following use the beat of the drum to start their own song and then drown out L1. you don't see drums at old trafford, anfield, white hart lane, etc. - incidently, you don't hear 'goal music' there either, but that's another debate.

just wondered what everyone thinks :dunno:

I'm very undecided in some ways it does a decent job, Jobber gets fired up and L1 responds...But like you say it is very Reading, Bolton etc. - Small time.

I'm all for atmsophere and noiseat home and if we need the drum so be it, but it is such a far cry from Filbert street.

I'm very undecided in some ways it does a decent job, Jobber gets fired up and L1 responds...But like you say it is very Reading, Bolton etc. - Small time.

I'm all for atmsophere and noiseat home and if we need the drum so be it, but it is such a far cry from Filbert street.

Think I take a similar stance too. Drums do have their place in football I think, but it depends on how/when/where they're used.

Yeah but at clubs like wigan, bolton, reading etc but it's not the cause of their shit atmospheres, it's just a sign of how bad things were in those grounds and its the same with us.

We can try and pretend we're diifferent from those clubs but at the end of the day we're all struggling to get anything going after being plonked in horrible new stadiums and losing a fair few of the fans that made the old one what it was.

If it's helping, it's helping. There's nothing inherently 'small-time' about a drum. Go and stand in the middle of a thousand Spanish ultras, going fooking nuts, having all their chants led by a drum and pissing all over anything you'll find inside an english ground, it doesn't really seem 'tin-point' then.

Yeah but at clubs like wigan, bolton, reading etc but it's not the cause of their shit atmospheres, it's just a sign of how bad things were in those grounds and its the same with us.

We can try and pretend we're diifferent from those clubs but at the end of the day we're all struggling to get anything going after being plonked in horrible new stadiums and losing a fair few of the fans that made the old one what it was.

If it's helping, it's helping. There's nothing inherently 'small-time' about a drum. Go and stand in the middle of a thousand Spanish ultras, going fooking nuts, having all their chants led by a drum and pissing all over anything you'll find inside an english ground, it doesn't really seem 'tin-point' then.

true - on the continent, almost all teams have drums. but they also have thousands standing, flares, nutters with loudspeakers starting chants, etc. it's just a different culture. i see what people mean with the 'it's doing a job' argument but i just wonder if in the long-term it might be better to ditch it. there is nothing inherently small-time about drums at football matches, but there is in england. you only have to look at the grounds where they are used to see that. it's been ok this season but in the championship and above (where you have 2,000-3,000 fans in that corner and not just 500) it just seems to get away fans going more than anything else.

true - on the continent, almost all teams have drums. but they also have thousands standing, flares, nutters with loudspeakers starting chants, etc. it's just a different culture. i see what people mean with the 'it's doing a job' argument but i just wonder if in the long-term it might be better to ditch it. there is nothing inherently small-time about drums at football matches, but there is in england. you only have to look at the grounds where they are used to see that. it's been ok this season but in the championship and above (where you have 2,000-3,000 fans in that corner and not just 500) it just seems to get away fans going more than anything else.

Mate trust me I'm absolutely in love with the english tradition of grounds full of thousands of people spontaneously singing what they want, what they want. But that ain't really what we've got at the walkers anymore is it and I can't see it coming back anytime in the future. I couldn't really give a fook if some geezer stood at the front with a microphone if it meant that it got the majority of the ground singing again. It would be better than having a absolutely shit atmosphere but not being 'small time'.

Shrenchel. :thumbup:

It would be ideal for us not to have it, but the club see it as a way of improving the atmosphere and relationship with the fans. While it might not always work to our advantage, it's here so...

Archived