Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Neville Hamilton - RIP

From OS

Former Leicester City midfielder and Academy coach Neville Hamilton sadly passed away this morning (Monday).

Born in Leicester (19th April 1960) Neville began his career as an apprentice with the Foxes before signing professional forms in 1977. He made his first team debut at the tender age of 17 against Manchester United at Old Trafford in December 1977and went on to make four appearances for the club before joining Mansfield Town.

He later had a spell with Rochdale before joining Wolverhampton Wanderers in 1984. However, Neville suffered a heart attack during pre-season training at Molineux and was forced to retire on medical grounds.

More happily, after recovery, he qualified as a full FA coach in August 1986 and, in the summer of 1989, he rejoined City as Community Department Officer. He later went on to become an Academy coach with the club.

Club ambassador Alan Birchenall said: "I have seen thousands of players come through this club over the years and I would put Neville up there with the best of them.

"If ever there was a smile or a laugh down at the training ground, both when Nev was playing and coaching, you knew that he would be involved.

"I went to see him last week in the Glenfield Hospital and although he knew he was seriously ill he was still laughing and joking. We thought he had pulled through the operation and it wouldn't be long before we saw his smiling face down the training ground again.

"I feel so sorry for his wife and kids. We have lost a great man in his prime.

"He has always been part of the Leicester City family and everyone here at the club is devastated. He will be sadly missed."

The club would like to pass their utmost condolences to Neville's family and friends at this difficult time.

RIP Nev. When working at Holmes Park for work experience, one day he came in and said it was his birthday. Everyone insist on cakes, the daft bleeder went straight over to Greggs and bought us all a cake. Top Man - his work with the community etc. was top notch. It's a shame that the world doesn't have more fellas like him.

Archived