Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BlabyFox

Why is it that...?

Oppisition defenders can push and shove or climb on Howard and not be penalised but when Howard gives the slightest push the referee blows his whistle?

Is there some kind of favouritsm towards defenders or are referees just Howardists?

i cant agree more mate. did you know that in terms of fouls made howard is the dirtiest player in the league!!!!!!!!

Oppisition defenders can push and shove or climb on Howard and not be penalised but when Howard gives the slightest push the referee blows his whistle?

Is there some kind of favouritsm towards defenders or are referees just Howardists?

I've said this since we bought him its not fair. As soon as the fans get off his back the opposition defenders are on it, literally.

It was the same with De Vries. It must be the benefit of the doubt given to the defender even though it is clear Howard is getting climbed on consistantly, it is the only reason I can come up with DB11 might shed some light maybe?

Referees just don't give fouls for climbing/holding strikers. They could easily give the lesser foul of obstruction (indirect free kick) but when was the last time you saw a ref give an indirect free kick in the penalty area other than for a pass back to the goalie - I reckon for me it was January 1979 :giggle:

Happens every game. The worst "foul" that i have seen on Howard was when the Oldham player called Terrell Forbes climbed all over him in the penalty area and about ripped his shirt off at Boundary park earlier on in the season...and yet they got the free kick. I was going ballistic.

The benefit of the doubt mostly go to the defenders.

It's the same with goal keepers. If you jump up with them, 99.9% is that the ref will award a free kick to the keeper, even though you barely touched him.

Im a referee myself and its obvious that referees in the football and premier league feel it is easier to go with the defenders, a free kick to a defender is less dangerous than a free kick in an attacking position. A referee will penalise a striker like steve howard without even being properly sure its a 100% foul, if he were to penalise the defender, he would make sure it is a foul and have a good think before he gives it.

By way of interest, the most Premiership fouls committed this season:

1 Marouane Fellaini (72)

2 Kevin Davies Bolton (66)

3 Carlton Cole (54)

4 Bobby Zamora (54)

Percentage football to big phyical targets is still how the majority are forced to play to combat the big 4. I think most people would have predicted either one or both of the top two. Only two centre backs in the top 20 - Zayatte and Kompany, and they've both been part of busy defences this season.

Most powerful strikers always get calls against them. The amount of "fouls" big dunc used to concede for everton was a joke (although he was a right dirty b*tard at times)

Only striker i can think of who didnt was shearer, probarly due to him being the "golden boy" of england at the time.

Perhaps if he claimed when it was at least 50/50 then he might get a bit more support.

Maybe thats all Howard needs to do

Yes. It is the same with the blatant shirt pulling by defenders in the box and sometimes even cases of handball.

Refereees seem to collectively suffer from a particular affliction - blurred or otherwise impeded eyesight once they step inside a penalty area.

Howard gets away with his fair share, it just depends on the referee. Some refs favour the striker, some favour the defender.

What he said.

Stop being bias guys and realise that Howard does get a lot of free kicks around the penalty area.

It was the same with De Vries. It must be the benefit of the doubt given to the defender even though it is clear Howard is getting climbed on consistantly, it is the only reason I can come up with DB11 might shed some light maybe?

People will always remember a dodgy goal being allowed rather than a correct goal being ruled out. Penalise the attacker then there isn't going to be a goal as it's a defensive free kick; let him carry on the defenders will be on the referees back ALL game because they feel they should have had a free kick. The referee will play safe.

Archived