Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Freedom of the City for the Birch

Not quite sure what Engelbert's done for the City of Leicester having lived in the USA for the last 40 odd years.

Leicester City Club Ambassador Alan Birchenall will receive the Honorary Freedom of Leicester at a ceremony due to be held in the spring.

Alan will receive the honour by virtue of his outstanding contribution to the sport of football and his contribution to charitable works, both within the city of Leicester and beyond.

Author Sue Townsend and Engelbert Humperdinck will also receive the Honorary Freedom of the City at the ceremony.

The announcement was made following a special meeting of the city council on Wednesday evening. Councillors backed a motion to honour the trio, recognising the distinction they have brought to the city of Leicester.

Alan said: "I'm stunned. I was just an ordinary footballer that came to this city in 1971 to play for the Foxes and to have had this honour bestowed on me is unbelievable.

"I know I wasn't born here, but I have always said that I have been adopted by the city. To be linked alongside the other previous reciprocates of this honour is a bit embarrassing if I am honest. But I know that my mum, dad and sister would have been very proud - as I am.

"Thank you to all Leicestershire people, and especially all Foxes fans who I consider share this honour with me."

LCFC Chairman, Milan Mandaric, said: "This is a magnificent honour for Alan in recognition for all of the tremendous work he has done for the Football Club and various charities over the years. "

City Manager, Nigel Pearson, added: "I am personally delighted for Alan. He does a heck of a lot of good work - both at Leicester City and the in the general community.

"This honour is recognition for a lot of hard work over a period of nearly 40 years and we are extremely fortunate to have him as one of our own."

Chief executive, Lee Hoos, said: "Alan does a heck of a lot of hard work behind the scenes and he should be extremely proud to have received such a prestigious honour."

Leader of the council, Cllr Ross Willmott, added: "Each of these three individuals has made their mark, albeit in very different ways.

"But what they have in common is that all three have made people in Leicester very proud, thanks to their association with our city.

"Whether it's through their profession, or the work they've done for charity, each of them has become an ambassador for Leicester and fully deserves to be recognised in this way by the city they call home."

Alan joined Leicester City Football Club from Crystal Palace for £100,000 in 1971. As an attacking midfielder, he scored 12 goals for the club in his 163 appearances.

He left Leicester City in 1977 to join Notts County, before spending time in the USA with the San Jose Earthquakes and the Memphis Rogues.

'The Birch' returned to Leicester City some 30 years ago and has been a club ambassador ever since. In 2002 he was awarded an MBE for his charity work.

The Honorary Freedom of the City is the highest honour that a local authority can bestow. Previous recipients of the Freedom of Leicester include Rosemary Conley, Gary Lineker and Richard and David Attenborough.

englebert :blink: wtf has he done for the city :S

From the Council press release..

Recently, he auctioned his Harley-Davidson motorcycle to raise money for Leicestershire’s Air Ambulance service.

He is to receive the Honorary Freedom of the City of Leicester by virtue of his outstanding contribution worldwide to popular music and his generosity to charitable works within the city of Leicester and beyond.

He's certainly waited long enough. Ten years ago, when he was being given a tour of the Town Hall, he looked at the list of honorary freemen at the main entrance and asked the then lord mayor, "When is my name going on here?" :rolleyes:

But in all fairness it is not an honour that we can really begrudge him, or indeed Sue Townsend or the Birch.

All members of the Council, from five different groups, were united last night in their admiration for these individuals.

And the myth put around by some on here and elsewhere that the Council is somehow "anti-white" and "neglects its own" can now be laid to rest once and for all.

He's certainly waited long enough. Ten years ago, when he was being given a tour of the Town Hall, he looked at the list of honorary freemen at the main entrance and asked the then lord mayor, "When is my name going on here?" :rolleyes:

But in all fairness it is not an honour that we can really begrudge him, or indeed Sue Townsend or the Birch.

All members of the Council, from five different groups, were united last night in their admiration for these individuals.

And the myth put around by some on here and elsewhere that the Council is somehow "anti-white" and "neglects its own" can now be laid to rest once and for all.

Sounds like that's why you did it then :dunno:

I hardly think that someone of his means auctioning a motorbike warrants this, that's like some one from a poor background putting a £1 in a charity box but without the publicity. As for his 'outstanding contribution to worldwide to popular music' some what subjective and very little to do with Leicester City especially when the proceeds of this have allowed him to live a life of luxury away from Leicester.

You've not convinced me!

As for his 'outstanding contribution to worldwide to popular music' somewhat subjective and very little to do with Leicester City especially when the proceeds of this have allowed him to live a life of luxury away from Leicester.

You've not convinced me!

Substitute "football" for popular music and the same can easily be said for Gary Lineker. :rolleyes:

The Council deserves credit for this, not mean-spirited, neagative and pedantic attacks from outside the city.

Substitute "football" for popular music and the same can easily be said for Gary Lineker. :rolleyes:

The Council deserves credit for this, not mean-spirited, neagative and pedantic attacks from outside the city.

I'm just questioning the justification but if you want to call it negative to question the motives of elected representatives and can't take a few questions then that's your problem. And talking of mean spirited pedantic attacks I have relatives that live in the city that feel the same.

If you think it's mean spirited to want someone like 'a Mrs Brown type' who's swept the floors at LOROS unpaid for the last 30 years without any recognition over some second rate celebrity who also even lives outside the City when he deems to come over here then I'll gladly accept that as an accolade.

Because I have asked you to provide a list of people allocated council housing to reassure myself that native white people are not being pushed down the list by the demands of immigrants, doesn't mean I have specifically accused Leicester City Council of racism nor even imply it.

Just either give me the list or simply supply the ethnicity of those on the list and, if what you say is true, there won't even be a question, will there?

What I have done is accuse the government of being anti-white and if you refuse to believe that, when the evidence is plain and unambiguous, it is because you cannot see the truth for your own dogmatic idealism.

Starting with the appointment of police force and other jobs over the last 10 years and following on with the employment trends and statistics over the last two years and the constant preference, even highlighted in today's newspapers, of foreign workers over native workers I find your stance indefensible.

Worse still, your constant refusal to acknowledge the unfairness over which your beloved Labour Partty presides, only highlights the futility of my hopes and the hopes of others that we ever achieve a genuinely non-racist and non-discriminatory society and emphasises exactly why there is so much seething resentment within the native white population about their constantly being shat on and reduced to the level of second class citizens in their own land.

As for your comment about the honours mentioned being approved by five different groups I cannot see what that has to do with real issues of racism anyway.

Frankly, despite our political differences, I'd have sooner seen you given Freedom of the City than Engelbert. Or any number of people who actually try to help this town and its people each and every day.

I have no more conviction that Lineker is a worthy recipient either.

Not sure how up to date this list is but it's from the Council website, how many of these recipients are low key citizens who do sterling but unpaid/lowly paid work to support their fellow citizens and how many are high profile well rewarded people who can easily afford their 'contribution' to society. There also seems to be a definite drift towards 'celebrity people'. Perhaps the council is thinking of the perceived reflected glory and publicity they can get from such awards rather than actual rewarding truly altruistic members of Leicester City.

LIST OF PERSONS UPON WHOM THE HONORARY FREEDOM OF THE CITY HAS BEEN CONFERRED

THOMAS WRIGHT J.P., ALDERMAN

25th October 1892

EDWARD WOOD J.P., ALDERMAN

25th October 1892

THOMAS WINDLEY J.P., ALDERMAN

31st March 1903

JOHN EDWARD SARSON V.D., COLONEL

31st March 1903

ALEXANDER BAINES J.P.

29th November 1911

THOMAS SMITH J.P., ALDERMAN

3rd July 1918

JONATHAN NORTH J.P., ALDERMAN

28th January 1919

DAVID BEATTY G.C.B., G.C.V.O., K.C.B, ADMIRAL OF THE FLEET

28th January 1919

THOMAS FIELDING JOHNSON J.P.

8th July 1919

DOUGLAS HAIG (EARL HAIG OF BEMERSYDE)

Kt., G..C.B., O.M., G.C.V.O., K.C.I.E., FIELD MARSHAL

28 February 1922

THOMAS FIELDING JOHNSON M.A., J.P.

28th April 1925

CHARLES JOHN BOND C.M.G., F.R.C.S.

28th April 1925

ROBERT GEE V.C., M.C., M.P., CAOTAIN

28th April 1925

JAMES WENT M.A., CANON

28TH April 1925

EDWARD ATKINS B.S.c, CANON

28th April 1925

JOHN EDWARD FAIRE J.P.

28th September 1926

ARTHUR ISAAC GROVES J.P.

28th September 1926

JAMES RAMSAY MACDONALD P.C., LL.D., M.P., J.P., PRIME MINISTER

29th October 1929

COSMO GORDON LANG P.C., D.D., ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY

28th May 1935

JOHN PARSONS, ALDERMAN

24th September 1940

HARRY PERCY GEE O.B.E., J.P.

26th July 1949

WALTER ERNEST WILFORD J.P., ALDERMAN

26th July 1949

THOMAS ROWLAND HILL C.B.E., ALDERMAN

3rd January 1956

ROBERT EDMUND MARTIN Kt., C.M.G., T.D., D.L., J.P., A.M.I.C.E., M.A., Hon. LL.D., LT-COL (T.A.)

3rd January 1961

CHARLES ROBERT KEENE Kt., C.B.E., J.P., ALDERMAN

31st July 1962

BARON JANNER, OF THE CITY OF LEICESTER Kt., B.A., Hon. LL.D.

26th October 1971

FREDERICK ERNEST OLIVER Kt., C.B.E., T.D., D.L., ALDERMAN

26th October 1971

SIDNEY WILLIAM BRIDGES, ALDERMAN

26th OCTOBER 1971

MAC GOLDSMITH Hon. LL.D

26 October 1971

DAVID FREDERICK ATTENBOROUGH Kt, C.B.E., F.R.S., Hon. D. Litt., Hon D. Sc., Hon. LL.D., Hon. Sc.D.

30th November 1989

RICHARD SAMUEL ATTENBOROUGH Kt., C.B.E. Hon D. Litt., Hon D.C.L., Hon LL.D.

30th November 1989

ALEC JOHN JEFFREYS, Kt, B.A., M.A., D. Phil., D. Univ. (Open), F.F.Sc. (India), Hon. F.R.C.P., F.R.C.Path., F.L.S., F.R.S., PROFESSOR

26th November 1992

GARY WINSTON LINEKER, O.B.E.

26th November 1992

The ROYAL ANGLIAN REGIMENT

25th January 1996 ROSEMARY CONLEY D.L12th July 2005 FRANK EPHRAIM MAY, M.B.E. ,HON.LL.D, M.C.I.M.12th July 2000 LEICESTER FOOTBALL CLUB (The Tigers)12th July 2000

When you are given the freedom of the City doesn't it mean you can covert an Ox in public or some other strange medieval rights ?
Doesn't it mean you can graze your sheep somewhere? Viccy Park?

I think it's more to do with no longer having to brown nose :whistle:

Archived