Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NickJ

Leicester views wanted from Bristol City fan

I noticed how it stopped in the second half, after a few had been arrested for it :rolleyes: weren't so brave to chant the 'totally acceptable' chants then was it?

By the way, with every post I read of that linked thread my opinion of Bristol City fans goes down bit by bit, to almost distain and sympathy for their narrow minded views.

In fact, the worse thing about this isn't the chanting itself, the worst thing is people DEFENDING these chants, saying they're okay because the asians wont be offended, people wont be offended, they get it every game (which of course, we don't) so it's fine to chant it.

And of course, the fact that the average age of the people chanting it would be under the drinking age makes it even sadder to be honest.

Hello Leicester fans, Bristol City fan here - loved Filbert Street, detest the Walkers.

I'm a football fan not a thug or a wind-up merchant, go back to the days of Weller, Birchenall was it, Nish, etc, so please take this for what it is.

Anyway, we have a bit of a raging debate going on over on our forum and I would be interested to hear your views.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/132350-east-end-racist-chants-wtf/

The majority of our fans think the songs exchanged on Saturday were banter, our club seem to think ours were racist.

Do Leicester fans think, especially Asian Leicester fans, that any of the songs being sung on Saturday were racist, and if so why?

Thanks.

Looking forward to the move to your new ground then ??

Just shows lack of knowledge if you ask me. Town full of Asians, not actually true seeing as there's a higher % of white than black In Leicester.

I see the point about its the same as us calling them 'small town in Wales' or whatever, same principle really.

But yeah i stood near to a few dicks who started E E EDL. Pretty shyte comeback that is!

I noticed how it stopped in the second half, after a few had been arrested for it :rolleyes: weren't so brave to chant the 'totally acceptable' chants then was it?

By the way, with every post I read of that linked thread my opinion of Bristol City fans goes down bit by bit, to almost distain and sympathy for their narrow minded views.

In fact, the worse thing about this isn't the chanting itself, the worst thing is people DEFENDING these chants, saying they're okay because the asians wont be offended, people wont be offended, they get it every game (which of course, we don't) so it's fine to chant it.

And of course, the fact that the average age of the people chanting it would be under the drinking age makes it even sadder to be honest.

How do you know that? You could well be right, but unless you KNOW that, then shame on you.

Sound like one of these stereotypical Knobs blaming youngsters for everything.

I'm techincally under age (by a month :P ) but i had a drink but never entered my brain to ever start racist chanting.

Personally it does not bother me. When we heard it, i laughed, but it could be interpreted as racist. It happens everywhere though, and it's only a harmless chant.

Share the same view as my brother.

I despise racism but this sounds more like pretty crap banter to me. The fact is that Leicester has a large Asian population - something sits slightly uncomfortably about them siging at us about it when I think about it though - sort of seems to imply its something to be ashamed of! I think i've contradicted myself a bit there!! I think it was meant as banter but its sailing a bit close to the wind - that's all for me.

I think the people seriously upset by this need to chill out. lcfcadam speaks alot of sense imo and as already stated I'm sure the fans chanting it don't actually mean it..... It's gunna happen because of the large asian community, laugh it off and move on.....

At the end of the day everyone has a "racist moment" those who deny it are telling fibs.

I was actually having a conversation not too long back with a couple of friends in the pub, one black and the other a Hindu (almost sounds like the start of a joke)

we agreed that most people are racist to some extent. People laugh at racist jokes and some would have found that chanting funny (I wasn't there so I can't really comment on the actual situation) this doesn't actually make you a racist and a supporter of the BNP but it is racist behaviour

my Hindu friend admitted that he could be just as racist as I or any other White man can be.

I'm never openly racist in front of anyone it may offend, I'll admit that I sometimes say things, it's banter to me or my friends, but it can and will offend others.

Like I said banter is fine, if it is just banter. If there was an actual racist element then they have problems. But banter is only fine if it's not going to offend. I'm not excusing racist behaviour in anyway but I will admit that it exisist in every walk of society.

It's in bad taste if it offends and I'm sure some Asian Leicester fans would have been hurt by the songs being sung.

Cheers (its Brizzle) for the replies so far and especially the Asian lads most of us in Bristol dont want to be perceived as racist. My view and its only my view top boys for how most of you see it - I expected some abuse from one or two fair enough but you dont know me it was just your view on racism I was after not a judgment on me or Bristol City fans generally.

Just to say also forgot to say this in my first post and Im not trying to be patronising here Leicester was the best away support at Ashton Gate this season - good numbers, loud and non-stop, and (leave aside the racist or not) good banter, just what proper football needs.

Also something else that just ocurred to me I was in a Bristol pub - ironically to demonstrate our racist past it was the Blackboy Inn which was where slaves used to be sold, makes me ashamed to say it - a couple of months ago on a Friday night, Leicester were live on Sky TV getting dicked by somebody, I think it was either Leeds or Portsmouth, there were 2 Leicester fans in watching, fook I didnt realise there were that many Leicester fans in Leicester let alone in Bristol, anyway, one was a ginger lad the other was an Asian lad, both good lads, had a bit of a joke with the Asian lad in particular he had a good sense of humour, so if that was you hello my friend!

Cheers again and genuinely hope you have a proper football season oh and that lad that bangs the drum he is proper.

Cheers (its Brizzle) for the replies so far and especially the Asian lads most of us in Bristol dont want to be perceived as racist. My view and its only my view top boys for how most of you see it - I expected some abuse from one or two fair enough but you dont know me it was just your view on racism I was after not a judgment on me or Bristol City fans generally.

Just to say also forgot to say this in my first post and Im not trying to be patronising here Leicester was the best away support at Ashton Gate this season - good numbers, loud and non-stop, and (leave aside the racist or not) good banter, just what proper football needs.

Also something else that just ocurred to me I was in a Bristol pub - ironically to demonstrate our racist past it was the Blackboy Inn which was where slaves used to be sold, makes me ashamed to say it - a couple of months ago on a Friday night, Leicester were live on Sky TV getting dicked by somebody, I think it was either Leeds or Portsmouth, there were 2 Leicester fans in watching, fook I didnt realise there were that many Leicester fans in Leicester let alone in Bristol, anyway, one was a ginger lad the other was an Asian lad, both good lads, had a bit of a joke with the Asian lad in particular he had a good sense of humour, so if that was you hello my friend!

Cheers again and genuinely hope you have a proper football season oh and that lad that bangs the drum he is proper.

Good comments, maybe overly nice to us but enjoyable to read nonetheless, but please stop feeling 'ashamed' about stuff that happened over a hundred years ago! :)

Its good to see that you thought we were the best fans down at Ashton Gate this season.

I thought that the Bristol fans were a nice bunch of people, when we got there we arrived at our hotel and went to Hooters for a sneaky pint and we didn't have a clue how to get to the ground so we asked a bunch of Bristol fans and they said that we could go with them if we wanted to. They took us to a few Bristol supporting clubs and everyone in their were friendly etc.

So abit of distasteful chanting isn't going to change my mind on how I see Bristol fans.

Good Luck with the rest of the season.

LeedScums chant of "town full of pakis" cant really be bettered for racist chanting from knuckle dragging goons.

Why people have to engage in any sort of slightly racist/nationalist chants(ie IRA) at football bewilders my simple little brain.

Fair enough to have a luagh at each others expense on a one to one basis but some people will be offended,whereby others like me wouldnt really give a fcuk.

Imagine a yound asian lad with his Dad at his first away game and has to hear shite like that?...It wouldnt make him feel very welcome at football would it.

Imagine all you white guys at a predominantly asian event(ie ermm...Chappati making) and a small minority sing unfriendly white slightly racist chants?....Little Tommy with his Dad wouldnt appreciate it would he.

Peace to all....gotta go...there's a Q forming to pay at my corner shop!!!

xx

I see your point, but in this day and age I seriously fail to believe that everyone (in fact anyone, other than maybe the tiniest majority) singing those songs would actually hold any racist views at heart.

So why are they singing them? It would never even occur to me to start, or to join in.

That's one of the biggest problems with racism (and any form of discrimination, I don't condone homophobic singing either and I, as stated elsewhere, especially hate the Yuki Abe song) - that people dismiss what they think are just minor offences or are just banter. It's like we moderate for ourselves without letting the subject for our offence do it themselves.

But by persisting with stupid chants like that then people perpetuate the myth that it's okay to discriminate and be prejudice, just as long as you don't use a few nasty trigger words.

I understand that these chants weren't the most offensive in the world but what I don't understand is the need to sing them in the first place? There are thousands of things you can sing at a football match. Why is there any need to go there?

Cheers (its Brizzle) for the replies so far and especially the Asian lads most of us in Bristol dont want to be perceived as racist.

Then don't sing the songs. Coming on here and getting a few people to admit that they weren't overly offended by it won't excuse it. I'm not in outrage, I didn't read that and think "wow, Bristol is full of the BNP and must be stopped!" but it took me all of about 0.34 seconds to realise that there are people who would take offence. And not in some sort of "Ba Ba Black Sheep is clearly racist, let's change the words!", overly-politically-correct way. But in that you're quite clearly suggesting that Leicester having a large Asian population is something worth mocking? I mean, hello?

Just because a few people say they're alright with it it doesn't make it acceptable and there'll always be others (as illustrated by Raj's post above me) who disagree who may not be on Foxes Talk to air that view.

If you don't want to be seen as racist, don't sing racist songs, however mild they are. Bottom line.

This thread is quite shocking to be honest.

Basically what a lot of you are saying to this fella is it's OK to use our City's multicultural demography to put us down.

I find that depressing.

There may still be some ignorant knuckle draggers in Bristol and Leicester that think having an Asian population within your city is a negative thing, but please, dont encourage their stupidity.

I for one am proud of our multicultural background, and would much rather live in a tolerant society City where people get along for the good of each other than some bigoted hole where such an racist attitude is seen as acceptable.

In my opinion anyone who comes to a football ground with the intent of using race as a weapon in song or deed should be banned for life.

As I kid I saw bananas thrown at black players, we've come a long way since then, don't let a few bigots drag us backwards.

This thread is quite shocking to be honest.

Basically what a lot of you are saying to this fella is it's OK to use our City's multicultural demography to put us down.

I find that depressing.

There may still be some ignorant knuckle draggers in Bristol and Leicester that think having an Asian population within your city is a negative thing, but please, dont encourage their stupidity.

I for one am proud of our multicultural background, and would much rather live in a tolerant society City where people get along for the good of each other than some bigoted hole where such an racist attitude is seen as acceptable.

In my opinion anyone who comes to a football ground with the intent of using race as a weapon in song or deed should be banned for life.

As I kid I saw bananas thrown at black players, we've come a long way since then, don't let a few bigots drag us backwards.

:thumbup:

If the Leicester fans started chanting

Down with Ultra's trousers

You're going down with with Ultra's trousers

to the same tune as town full of ....

you'd be fookin well offended , well wouldn't you ?

If the Leicester fans started chanting

to the same tune as town full of ....

you'd be fookin well offended , well wouldn't you ?

lol

This deserves to be a terrace favourite

Archived