Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Anyone know the best way to dispose of a pizza box and a grey sock?

lol - Fire solves everything.

(i would post a video from a tv show i watch but i can't find it at the moment.)

edit: can't find it so i'll describe it:

basically the guy in the video below burns al oad of his stuff to hide a crime he commited.

Edited by LargeAl

Imagine you are are told that if you kill one healthy person, his organs will be used to save the life of five others. It is guaranteed that those five will be saved if you kill him, and otherwise they will definitely die.

What do you do?

Imagine you are are told that if you kill one healthy person, his organs will be used to save the life of five others. It is guaranteed that those five will be saved if you kill him, and otherwise they will definitely die.

What do you do?

Him? :ermm: If I could kill Gillian McKeith to save 5 others, I'd do it without hesitation. :D Nick Griffin would be a contender, too, but I'm not sure anyone would actually want his organs. >_<

What do you do?

If you believe in/have same beliefs as utilitarianism, then the answer would be to save the 5 others, as it's for the greater good to save 5 instead of 1. Depends who the people are though.

Edited by StanSP

What do you do?

Change channels. :)

:D i think some people know where we're going here !

You have been taken hostage by a terrorist. He gives you a gun (but you don't have the option to shoot him, OK?) and tells you that if you shoot one person, he will let another five go free. If you don't shoot the person, he will kill the other five. If you shoot yourself, he will kill all of them.

What do you do?

Edited by Zingari

:D i think some people know where we're going here !

You have been taken hostage by a terrorist. He gives you a gun (but you don't have the option to shoot him, OK?) and tells you that if you shoot one person, he will let another five go free. If you don't shoot the person, he will kill the other five. If you shoot yourself, he will kill all of them.

What do you do?

Do you have to ensure they die (e.g. shot to the head) or could you just shoot them in the foot?

You're in charge of a rail track system on which there is a runaway train that you cannot stop.

Coming up in front of the train the track splits into two, and you have to decide to send the train left or right.

it is heading to kill the five people on the left

you can make the decision to switch the tracks to make the train kill the one person on the right

do you pull the switch ?

You're in charge of a rail track system on which there is a runaway train that you cannot stop.

Coming up in front of the train the track splits into two, and you have to decide to send the train left or right.

it is heading to kill the five people on the left

you can make the decision to switch the tracks to make the train kill the one person on the right

do you pull the switch ?

whats with all these kill 1 person or 5 people questions?

And why can none of these people move out the way of the train?

whats with all these kill 1 person or 5 people questions?

And why can none of these people move out the way of the train?

it's a moral maze sequence of questions

in the first scenario , very few people would kill a person to save 5 others for organ transplants

the second scenario with the hostages was more ambiguous

the third case scenario , switching the rail track , from a certain death of five people to a certain death of one person and most people would do this

The question is: what is the moral difference between the first and the third scenario? The consequence is the same. In each, you are killing one person to save five others. But what seems obvious in the third, is not obvious in the first.

it's a moral maze sequence of questions

in the first scenario , very few people would kill a person to save 5 others for organ transplants

the second scenario with the hostages was more ambiguous

the third case scenario , switching the rail track , from a certain death of five people to a certain death of one person and most people would do this

The question is: what is the moral difference between the first and the third scenario? The consequence is the same. In each, you are killing one person to save five others. But what seems obvious in the third, is not obvious in the first.

the circumstances in which you are killing one and saving others.

People usually don't consider just the simple information because it's almost second nature for us to draw addition information, that isn't present and may even contradict that given, and in the first one the additional information drawn is that there are, in some cases ways of keeping these people alive without transplants and ways of obtaining transplants without death of another.

However in the third there is , no way of avoiding killing anyone - even with outside knowledge (perhaps because there isn't any?) and in that case they consider the numbers: 1 v 5 and go for 1.

If you could, say program a computer to process someones personality, and enter that question then, with computers being more logical and not considering anything outside the function being performed (the question) you'd probably see no variation between the 3 questions from 1 "person" - they'd most likely all be kill 1 or kill 5

the circumstances in which you are killing one and saving others.

People usually don't consider just the simple information because it's almost second nature for us to draw addition information, that isn't present and may even contradict that given, and in the first one the additional information drawn is that there are, in some cases ways of keeping these people alive without transplants and ways of obtaining transplants without death of another.

However in the third there is , no way of avoiding killing anyone - even with outside knowledge (perhaps because there isn't any?) and in that case they consider the numbers: 1 v 5 and go for 1.

If you could, say program a computer to process someones personality, and enter that question then, with computers being more logical and not considering anything outside the function being performed (the question) you'd probably see no variation between the 3 questions from 1 "person" - they'd most likely all be kill 1 or kill 5

i nicked it from this site

http://julianhopkins.net/index.php?/archives/209-Ethical-dilemma-when-would-you-kill-someone.html

and just thought it was QI :D

but i can tell you like to ponder stuff :thumbup:

Edited by Zingari

It means "enjoy yourself whilst your here" in a similar kind of way to "life's to short"

I'd just like to say, who is the President of China.

Thought so, my girlfriend was convinced that it is a negative idiom so I just proved her wrong: P

Edited by ChickenBoy

Thought so, my girlfriend was concivned that it is a negative idom so I just proved her wrong :P

Right lads, another question for you lot- Is there a word that describes the hardware and software at same time?

a computer?

Hardware is the motherboard, processors, hard drive etc. while software is programs so i'd imagine you're looking for a word to describe a piece of hardware with software loaded onto it - such as a mass storage device.?

Edited by LargeAl

a computer?

Hardware is the motherboard, processors, hard drive etc. while software is programs so i'd imagine you're looking for a word to describe a piece of hardware with software loaded onto it - such as a mass storage device.?

Hmmm- I specfically meant the hardware as in anything associated with the computer such as the mouse,RAM, hard drive even the computer itself and software as you correctly assumed the programs but I am sick of sounding like a parrot in my essay saying " Hardware/software related problems such as.." and " The breakdown of either hardware or software can leads to..."

Thanks anyway- Bet you are loving this thread- surely it is bumping up your post count a lot :D