Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Hmmm- I specfically meant the hardware as in anything associated with the computer such as the mouse,RAM, hard drive even the computer itself and software as you correctly assumed the programs but I am sick of sounding like a parrot in my essay saying " Hardware/software related problems such as.." and " The breakdown of either hardware or software can leads to..."

Thanks anyway- Bet you are loving this thread- surely it is bumping up your post count a lot :D

oh yeah, any excuse to show of some of my knowledge, the improved postcount is an added perk like pissing the ex off and winning the lottery at the same time.

• Like 1

Thought so, my girlfriend was convinced that it is a negative idiom so I just proved her wrong: P

Talking of confusing/controversial idioms, is the phrase 'sight for sore eyes' meant to be construed as good or bad?

If you told someone that they were a sight for sore eyes I'd say that it was a compliment for them, because it gives the person with the 'sore eyes' something good to look at and not something that will make their eyes sore anymore (to take it literally, anyway).

Always wondered what this meant. What makes Xavi, Iniesta etc better "technical" players than Gerrard, Lampard etc?

Is it to do with touch? Because surely a great level of technique is required to score regularly from 25 yards plus?

I thought that was having the best technique? Being the best "technically" IMO means there all round game is perfect, every aspect is faultless. But also doesn't mean they won't make mistakes?

why is the fashion of clothes so important to each generation ?

every generation think the style of the day looks good , and think previous styles are ridiculous or laughable and seemingly unaware that the clothes they are wearing will be viewed in the same way in the future

are fashion designers having a laugh at our expense over the years when they send us out in teddy boy, hippy , new wave , new romantic, goth , punk , glam rock , 80's power look , grunge , clothes ?

could we just settle on one style of practical clothing without the need for all embarrassing stuff that prevents us from looking at old photos of ourselves ?

Hmmm- I specfically meant the hardware as in anything associated with the computer such as the mouse,RAM, hard drive even the computer itself and software as you correctly assumed the programs but I am sick of sounding like a parrot in my essay saying " Hardware/software related problems such as.." and " The breakdown of either hardware or software can leads to..."

Thanks anyway- Bet you are loving this thread- surely it is bumping up your post count a lot :D

The Operating System can be classed as both hardware and software.

Zingari the movement of water up a tree is caused by transpiration pull. Water evapourating from leaves lowers the water potential so water is pulled up the stem by cohesive tension of the hydrogen bonds holding water nolecules together. It's basically a long chain of water being pulled up by the tension that allows you to float a needle on the surface of the water. Learnt this for my summer exam in A2 biology so a bit rusty ;)

Why can't scientists genetically engineer vegetables to taste brilliant - thus solving obesity issues?

Edited by acooling08

Guest BlueBrett
Imagine you are are told that if you kill one healthy person, his organs will be used to save the life of five others. It is guaranteed that those five will be saved if you kill him, and otherwise they will definitely die.

What do you do?

I'd kill the five people and try to fit all of their organs into the other bloke.

Zingari the movement of water up a tree is caused by transpiration pull. Water evapourating from leaves lowers the water potential so water is pulled up the stem by cohesive tension of the hydrogen bonds holding water nolecules together. It's basically a long chain of water being pulled up by the tension that allows you to float a needle on the surface of the water. Learnt this for my summer exam in A2 biology so a bit rusty ;)

Why can't scientists genetically engineer vegetables to taste brilliant - thus solving obesity issues?

how does the water get up to the branches before the leaves are formed ( and after the winter when new leaves are forming )?

it seems a chicken /egg situation ,by which the water needs to be there to make the leaves "before " the leaves can operate in the way you suggest

and how do oranges and grape-fruits etc suck water into themselves ?

surely transpirational pull could not explain the vast amount of water needed to fill them

no ,trust me , it really is done by magic ! :D;)

why is the fashion of clothes so important to each generation ?

every generation think the style of the day looks good , and think previous styles are ridiculous or laughable and seemingly unaware that the clothes they are wearing will be viewed in the same way in the future

are fashion designers having a laugh at our expense over the years when they send us out in teddy boy, hippy , new wave , new romantic, goth , punk , glam rock , 80's power look , grunge , clothes ?

could we just settle on one style of practical clothing without the need for all embarrassing stuff that prevents us from looking at old photos of ourselves ?

fashion is a form of ugliness so unbearable we have to change it 4 times a year (can't remember who said that - heard it on qi once)

how does the water get up to the branches before the leaves are formed ( and after the winter when new leaves are forming )?

it seems a chicken /egg situation ,by which the water needs to be there to make the leaves "before " the leaves can operate in the way you suggest

and how do oranges and grape-fruits etc suck water into themselves ?

surely transpirational pull could not explain the vast amount of water needed to fill them

no ,trust me , it really is done by magic ! :D;)

different water potential inside the fruit to outside so water moves along the water potential gradient.

fashion is a form of ugliness so unbearable we have to change it 4 times a year (can't remember who said that - heard it on qi once)

different water potential inside the fruit to outside so water moves along the water potential gradient.

yes , that's what i mean

why do people bother with stupid fashions anymore ?

surely we've all seen through this massive scam now

Edited by Zingari

When a recipe calls for a 'sprig' of thyme, exactly how big is a 'sprig'? When does a sprig become a bunch? :unsure:

Well you lot are no fooking use. :glare: If my soup (yes, I'm having a Nigella-moment... hard to believe, I know!) :rolleyes: is too thyme-ee or not thyme-ee enough, it'll be your fault. :angry:

:whistle:

Well you lot are no fooking use. :glare: If my soup (yes, I'm having a Nigella-moment... hard to believe, I know!) :rolleyes: is too thyme-ee or not thyme-ee enough, it'll be your fault. :angry:

:whistle:

Geoffrey of Anjou ( founder of the plantagenets )always wore a sprig in his hat ( it's where the name comes from )

so ,my best suggestion would be to search images of him and try to gauge it relatively to the size of his head :thumbup: