Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

common philosophical question :

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?

Most basic answer:

No, because the definition of sound is "something that you hear." No one's there to hear the tree fall, so the tree doesn't make a sound.

ok then :

if a tree is standing in a forest and no one is around to see it , is it still green ?

if the fruit of a tree rots in the forest ,and no-one is around to smell it , does it still smell ?

if fruits of a tree aren't tasted does this mean they have no taste ?

if no one rubs their hands along the rough bark of a tree , does this mean that the tree has no tactile quality ?

my real question is

why is the sound of a falling tree always used in this discussion , not any of the other senses ?

The other definition of sound is vibration of the air molecules, so in that case yes it does make a sound.

It is not the only thought experiment though you may want to look up Schrodingers cat:

At it's most basic there is a cat in a box with some poison, how do you know the cat is dead without opening the box.

The more detailed explanantion is here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat#The_thought_experiment

been invited to an 'informal interview' at LIDL tomorrow, just to have a walk around the store and maybe do a few things. could anybody enlighten me what might happen? i had a similar thing last summer at Blockbuster, although the interview was done on the phone and i was given a few tasks in the store. it turned out shit cause in about 30mins we only had about two customers. other burning question: is it best to dress formally for an informal interview?

I make it x = 11/4, so 2.75

Hmmmm

so 4 x 8.25 = 33 then 33 divided by 3 = 11 ... add the 1 = 12

Making x = 8.25???

I made it 8.75. I'm not sure who's right now.

EDIT; Using the formula it looks like Barry's right. Thanks chaps.

Edited by Webbo

It is only Lidl, but shirt, tie, trousers is best. Good to make a first impression, albeit Lidl.

You'll probably just be asked a few health & safety questions, a few questions on the stock etc.

Think he said something like he'll give me a few things to do on the shop floor. Anyone know what I might have to do?

I'm sure Barry is right now.

4x +1=12. Get rid of the divide by 3 by timesing both sides by 3

4x+3=36. Get rid of the 3 by minusing 3 from both sides.

4x=33. x=8.25

he is. Take the one across to get 4X over 3 = 11, then times bothsides by 3 to get 4X=33, divide 33 by 4 to get X which does equal 8.25.

Right, I'm trying to help my daughter with her maths revision. I think I know the answer but I want to make sure. What is;

4x +1=12

Have to admit, I'm clueless. :blush:

when . in normal life , does anyone need to know the value of x in the formula

4x +1=12 ? :)

ps i do understand why we neeed to know really

I don't... I swear that in 'real life' I've never had to work out what 'x' is.