Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MikeyT

Reading Post Match

A draw would've been fair today. Two of their goals were on the break and they played on the break for most of the game. They scored with their first two shots and knock the stuffing out if us because we were well in top.

The big difference was though, they took their chances and we didn't.

I disagree. They were a much more effective unit than us, with better attacking options, which ultimately showed in the number of chances they had and the way they made our defenders look amateur. Kebe, McAnuff and Long are better than Kamara, Vassell and Yakubu.

In particular, Kebe and McAnuff knew when to stay wide, which is something Vasell and Kamara didn't do so we were always too narrow, having to do our standard ineffective passing game around the central areas, before either playing a straight ball into the box or passing to an isolated fullback who had little support. It was no surprise we looked better able to put them under pressure when Gallagher came on and worked the flank.

As others have said, Bruma just wasn't good enough today and Mee should have played. I rate Mee and hope we sign him in the Summer, so was surprised that he was dropped (especially as he did nothing wrong on Tuesday).

I agree with previous comments we were very poor defensively today; I think Mee and Vitor should have started. (And Gally too who played well after he came on). We couldn't cope with the pace of the Reading attack. However, in the first half in particular, we dominated and even at 2-0, I felt if we got a goal we could still have have won it. There was some poor finishing, a couple of good saves from McCarthy and too much interplay around the box. Generally, we are a side that plays a great passing game that needs a striker who can score goals on a regular basis. Yak has shown he can score goals but his first touch is often poor, his work rate is also poor and, I think, grossly overpaid. If Sven could look down divisions, I think Craig Mackail-Smith would be a good buy: good pace, always threatening and has shown he can score consistently goals. (And I think we would at a higher level).

Oakley was our best player today; I wish he could always show that form.

And looking ahead to next season, a goalkeeper who is more consistent than either Weale or Ricardo is essential. Peterboro' have some good players: Joe Lewis is another who could be bought especially if they don't get promoted. And Logan is apparently playing well at Bristol R. (Wishful thinking would be to persuade Van Der Saar not to retire and sign for the Foxes, great goalie and great experience which would help our defence).

It could have been different on another day, but they deserved it. We couldn't handle Kébé, he was brilliant.

Bamba was a disaster waiting to happen today, Bruma was possibly at fault for one of the goals but generally played quite well I thought. I may be on my own there. Van Aanholt's mindless throw cost us the third goal, and from then it was never going to happen.

We responded well to the second goal and should have had at least one before the break, but that man Kébé could have scored two after that point to kill us off completely.

Positives? Oakley was our best player by a mile, and Naughton did alright for himself. But that's about it. Kamara and Vassell worked hard as usual, so I'm not going to give them stick either.

I've had enough of Yakubu. He doesn't work hard enough for Championship football. We won't be seeing you next season, and that's the best option for us.

Reading fan here, not to cause trouble but to post upon the game in hand! :thumbup:

I thought you guys played some really nice stuff today, you were tidy in your passing and to begin with looked as if you were going to score. Possession wise you slaughtered us, albeit I think our defence was solid today, perhaps tougher than it usually is. I cannot believe the amount of shots we blocked in our own box.

I believe the difference in the game was Kebe, he performed out of his skin and the counter attacking football suited him to the bone with his pace.

I'm aware you have a few players on loan, so did we this time last year but perhaps Sven can sign? Who knows. However I tip you to do something next year...

Here's to a successful season, hoping we can do something ourselves. If we don't clinch second, we're ****ed, we don't do Play-Offs!

Reading fan here, not to cause trouble but to post upon the game in hand! :thumbup:

I thought you guys played some really nice stuff today, you were tidy in your passing and to begin with looked as if you were going to score. Possession wise you slaughtered us, albeit I think our defence was solid today, perhaps tougher than it usually is. I cannot believe the amount of shots we blocked in our own box.

I believe the difference in the game was Kebe, he performed out of his skin and the counter attacking football suited him to the bone with his pace.

I'm aware you have a few players on loan, so did we this time last year but perhaps Sven can sign? Who knows. However I tip you to do something next year...

Here's to a successful season, hoping we can do something ourselves. If we don't clinch second, we're ****ed, we don't do Play-Offs!

Passing was fine on our part but not clinical and no final ball. You defended by the book and rode your luck a bit at times with the blocks in the box but that comes with getting men back I suppose (which we didn't). We missed a couple of sitters with Vassell and Yakubu but Kebe did the same for you so this could have well ended with a different scoreline.

You edged us though, we didn't deserve it defending like we did today. Good luck with your promotion push (Get Leeds scum out of there) :scarf:

Another away day, another frustrating game where we didn't play appallingly and weren't outclassed yet deserved to lose primarily because we couldn't defend properly and create sufficient chances to hurt the opposition.

We started brightly, it was an even contest early on but we give away two goals in no time and are chasing from a long way back. The first Bamba should've dealt with and the second McAnuff should never have been given the opportunity, Oakley intercepted and should've cleared it up the pitch.

We ended the first half strongly and Reading were pushed back, and early in the second Vassell should've done better when well placed. The third goal killed it, from OUR throw in five yards from their corner flag. So careless.

Yakubu missed an easy header before King struck with a good strike, but it was too late to force a nervous finish for Reading. Indeed, if Kebe had taken his three glorious chances we'd have been buried five minutes after the break.

The play-offs are over for this year, we have a lot of work to do to provide a challenge for next season. Today badly exposed our fragilities.

Another away day, another frustrating game where we didn't play appallingly and weren't outclassed yet deserved to lose primarily because we couldn't defend properly and create sufficient chances to hurt the opposition.

We started brightly, it was an even contest early on but we give away two goals in no time and are chasing from a long way back. The first Bamba should've dealt with and the second McAnuff should never have been given the opportunity, Oakley intercepted and should've cleared it up the pitch.

We ended the first half strongly and Reading were pushed back, and early in the second Vassell should've done better when well placed. The third goal killed it, from OUR throw in five yards from their corner flag. So careless.

Yakubu missed an easy header before King struck with a good strike, but it was too late to force a nervous finish for Reading. Indeed, if Kebe had taken his three glorious chances we'd have been buried five minutes after the break.

The play-offs are over for this year, we have a lot of work to do to provide a challenge for next season. Today badly exposed our fragilities.

Tbf after seeing replays it was hit at him hard and it wasn't a great first touch, it wasn't like he was caught in possession. Don't think he can be blamed as there was plenty back after that to nullify the threat.

Tbf after seeing replays it was hit at him hard and it wasn't a great first touch, it wasn't like he was caught in possession. Don't think he can be blamed as there was plenty back after that to nullify the threat.

Fair enough.

Had to chuckle to myself today. Although it's not a great song, the right side left side was going on, and it was the most noise we generated all afternoon. Looking around, a few lads at the back were shaking their heads, and then had their hands in their heads, presumably because if what was being sung. Quite embarrassing really. I'm sure whoever it was are the ones that moan about atmosphere too.

lol this place.

What a fvcking embarrasment.

+1, Tom. Looking forward to sinking many lager beers with proper bosses on Friday. None of the mongtacular stuff.

I also must add that we were not actually bad today. Yes, Reading could have had a few more, but we could on another day have scored a stack ourselves. Reading had 4 shots on target and scored 3 goals. They were clinical and put their bodies on the line for the cause. We - yet again - were highly wasteful and not willing to get dirty when needs be.

What I will say is that we were far too pedestrian going forward. If you're Barcelona, the slow, methodical passing game is perfect. If you're Leicester City, it's good to a point (as it was in the first half in that Reading stood off and let us create chances, and also after we scored), but there's got to be a time when we mix it up and be more direct (direct in the sense we run at defences or miss a pass out and get it forward quicker).

Also, yet again I've watched Kebe, and yet again he has a) torn us to pieces and b) looked like Reading's only good player.

Had to chuckle to myself today. Although it's not a great song, the right side left side was going on, and it was the most noise we generated all afternoon. Looking around, a few lads at the back were shaking their heads, and then had their hands in their heads, presumably because if what was being sung. Quite embarrassing really. I'm sure whoever it was are the ones that moan about atmosphere too.

lol

Not one bit embarrassed to say I was one of them, who gave it my all all afternoon despite the shit on the pitch, and was it worth a headshake? Too fvcking right, if that's our song of the day then it's worth taking a long look at our away support, considering the fact me and my mates were actually starting off some proper songs, rather than that cringeworthy shite.

I'm fed up with people saying we were unlucky. Why, because we had a lot of possession?

We didn't seem to create many chances, Reading created loads. We also defended atrociously.

We shouldn't be making excuses or papering over the cracks. We are a midtable side and no better this season.

I disagree. They were a much more effective unit than us, with better attacking options, which ultimately showed in the number of chances they had and the way they made our defenders look amateur. Kebe, McAnuff and Long are better than Kamara, Vassell and Yakubu.

In particular, Kebe and McAnuff knew when to stay wide, which is something Vasell and Kamara didn't do so we were always too narrow, having to do our standard ineffective passing game around the central areas, before either playing a straight ball into the box or passing to an isolated fullback who had little support. It was no surprise we looked better able to put them under pressure when Gallagher came on and worked the flank.

As others have said, Bruma just wasn't good enough today and Mee should have played. I rate Mee and hope we sign him in the Summer, so was surprised that he was dropped (especially as he did nothing wrong on Tuesday).

I think it was a pretty close game when all was told, regardless of all the arguments on here of who looked the best going forward or who's defending was most suspect, etc, etc, etc. From the two teams you'd have been hard pushed to identify which one had just won it's previous eight in my opinion! Neither team's defending was out of this world and both would've got squished by the Prem's better sides. Neither team were particularly clinical in front of goal either with both teams wasting plenty of chances. It's just that we squandered more of the numerous chances we created in attack - as did Kebbe for Reading time and again also! It was end to end and probably made good viewing for everyone - barring us City fans!

Even though Forest, Swansea, Leeds and Millwall continue to stutter ahead of us (while Burnley and Hull remain as rank outsiders for 6th with us), moreover it brings this mixed and eventul season to a close for us now, barring a miracle of us winning our last four and hoping that everyone else slips up. How will we fare next season if, as looks highly likely, we do stay down? If we can afford to keep this same squad together, snap up all the present loanees on permanent deals and let the team/squad gel over the summer under Sven then we must be one of the title favourites for the next campaign. What is happening with the parachute payments now though - do the relegated Prem. teams still get them??

Joe Lewis is another who could be bought especially if they don't get promoted. And Logan is apparently playing well at Bristol R. (Wishful thinking would be to persuade Van Der Saar not to retire and sign for the Foxes, great goalie and great experience which would help our defence).

Good shout on Lewis, seems to be a good stopper, and probably pick up him up cheap.

Good shout on Lewis, seems to be a good stopper, and probably pick up him up cheap.

Lewis is hugely overrated.

I'm fed up with people saying we were unlucky. Why, because we had a lot of possession?

We didn't seem to create many chances, Reading created loads. We also defended atrociously.

We shouldn't be making excuses or papering over the cracks. We are a midtable side and no better this season.

We had more shots on target than they did... :dunno:

Clearly we are creating chances, they were just unbelievably good at blocking them yesterday.

We had more shots on target than they did... :dunno:

Clearly we are creating chances, they were just unbelievably good at blocking them yesterday.

We are creating and should have had 3 but yak and vassell once again miss sitters whereas reading put them away.

lol

Not one bit embarrassed to say I was one of them, who gave it my all all afternoon despite the shit on the pitch, and was it worth a headshake? Too fvcking right, if that's our song of the day then it's worth taking a long look at our away support, considering the fact me and my mates were actually starting off some proper songs, rather than that cringeworthy shite.

Might be cringeworthy, and with some of your post I agree. But it wasn't half as cringeworthy as your pathetic head shaking. Sorry not all of our supporters are as amazing as you and your mates.

lol

Ah, we're back to the 'we're better fans than you lot' argument. What I find cringeworthy is how stunningly arrogant and narrow-minded some of our fans are. :yawn:

Ah, we're back to the 'we're better fans than you lot' argument. What I find cringeworthy is how stunningly arrogant and narrow-minded some of our fans are. :yawn:

Surely if we're making noise, to spur our team on then it doesn't matter whether the song is "cringeworthy?"

If singing YMCA to the Yak was the only way to make him score goals...

Surely if we're making noise, to spur our team on then it doesn't matter whether the song is "cringeworthy?"

If singing YMCA to the Yak was the only way to make him score goals...

Er, exactly. I meant that those standing there shaking their heads at other fans were cringeworthy. Not that I'm a big fan of 'left side... right side' but I'd rather we were making noise en-masse than having just a handful of the 'better' fans singing their 'proper' songs.

Might be cringeworthy, and with some of your post I agree. But it wasn't half as cringeworthy as your pathetic head shaking. Sorry not all of our supporters are as amazing as you and your mates.

Ah, OK, scan my post and tell me exactly where I said I was "better" than any of you.

It was definitely cringeworthy, a massive game for us, one that if we lost it'd more or less end any sort of play-off push, a game where the team needs full backing from the fans, and the best song (in your words) we can manage all day is the left side/right side? That's absolutely beyond dismal, it's embarrassing almost.

We tried to start off proper songs - sorry, you can't seriously tell me you'd rather hear our end belting out left side/right side and stuff like "Who r ya" above proper songs like Bring on the Sunderland, You are my Leicester etc... it's embarrassing to say the least.

Oh and before I get accused of being an arrogant cvnt, I'm not arsed, rather be someone arrogant who tried to support the shit on the pitch for 90 mins rather than someone who sat down and slagged the team off from the word go.

Archived