Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

I'm inclined to agree. In a way though, Wilder has to be commended for getting so far on so little boxing talent. Ok, his record may be full of stiffs (isn't most boxers these days) but he just did 12 rounds with the lineal champion and decked him twice without ever being in much trouble himself. Wilder ain't great to watch but he has been there and done it. 

4 hours ago, lildave3 said:

I mean being overweight doesn’t make this a big deal surely? The man lost his titles because he was coked up, got fat, then got his act together and came back when he was still only 30. 

I am definitely biased because I can’t stand the bloke but I really don’t get the love for him and his ‘story’ 

Also, commentators after the fight saying he avoided everything Wilder threw at him - he was sat on his arse twice...I thought BT’s coverage overall was pretty poor tbh. 

he was suicidal. at the bottom of the pit and chronically depressed.... that’s what Fury means by the greatest comeback

but yeah also can’t imagine having to lose a stone in a year let alone ten stone.. 

2 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Fury

'No wonder AJ didn't want any part of that, he can't move as well as me, he didn't want that right hand, he'd have got nailed'.

Talk? Yeah, but more than a modicum of truth in it too.

Whilst yes you’d imagine wilder would be heavily punished for one of his misses very quickly and Joshua hits every bit as hard as wilder.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Whilst yes you’d imagine wilder would be heavily punished for one of his misses very quickly and Joshua hits every bit as hard as wilder.

Agreed but I think Joshua's chin may be the weaker of the two. If either gets clocked, I'm not so sure they'll do a Fury and get up to finish 12.

With all do respect to boxing and its fans, this is why MMA is gaining so many more fans. Just compare how people talked about the last big MMA event (Khabib vs Conor) vs the last 2 big boxing events ( the tainting of GGG legacy and now this). 

MMA has people from all desciplins competing for the title of the best, there's no weight Class every 5 pounds, you rarely see cooked Matches and the riverly is real. The fans reaction to what Khabib did after the match was for the most part, positive. A man who lived-off mental war and walked with the bravado of a killer (Conor) actaul met a man with steel-like composure and killer instinct. I just go back and remember how Khabib had Conor's famous left arm in a kimura, called the president of the UFC mid-fight and was seconds away from breaking Conor's arm which made Conor, a guy with great pride, cheat to save his carrier and get away from that kimura. After all the talking from Conor, it was amazing to see that there is a person out there who's ready to cash the checks of a trash-talker. 

Boxing has a great history behind it and it's sad to see it like this. 

6 minutes ago, the fox said:

With all do respect to boxing and its fans, this is why MMA is gaining so many more fans. Just compare how people talked about the last big MMA event (Khabib vs Conor) vs the last 2 big boxing events ( the tainting of GGG legacy and now this). 

MMA has people from all desciplins competing for the title of the best, there's no weight Class every 5 pounds, you rarely see cooked Matches and the riverly is real. The fans reaction to what Khabib did after the match was for the most part, positive. A man who lived-off mental war and walked with the bravado of a killer (Conor) actaul met a man with steel-like composure and killer instinct. I just go back and remember how Khabib had Conor's famous left arm in a kimura, called the president of the UFC mid-fight and was seconds away from breaking Conor's arm which made Conor, a guy with great pride, cheat to save his carrier and get away from that kimura. After all the talking from Conor, it was amazing to see that there is a person out there who's ready to cash the checks of a trash-talker. 

Boxing has a great history behind it and it's sad to see it like this. 

At the risk of falling out @the fox, the last MMA fight was utter garbage only talked about because of the melee in the ring post bout. It was one sided wrestling on the floor, that was it.

Despite the result, last nights fight was at least pretty even and a decent contest.

42 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Agreed but I think Joshua's chin may be the weaker of the two. If either gets clocked, I'm not so sure they'll do a Fury and get up to finish 12.

I cant agree with that, I’ve seen wilder sent for a walk down silly street by the likes of Eric Molina

tbh I for one am no longer even interested in seeing AJ fight either of them to they’ve settled theyve settled this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nathan. said:

Rochin's scorecard was a ****ing disgrace.

He gave the first FOUR rounds to Wilder.

Scoring is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to boxing. Two watchers rarely score the fight the same. Giving Wilder the first four seems quite off to me too though. I did think Wilder won the first though and most seem to disagree with that.

I'm more concerned with the monotonous regularity draws seem to surface these days. Draws have always happened. It may be my misconception, but I don't remember them happening so often. Maybe the percentages of draws are no more than they used to be but it seems like it. 

18 minutes ago, nathan. said:

Furys boxing was superb

Wilder was just looking for that shot

Well yeah no argument here but what I mean to say is the fight was enjoyable as a spectacle. 

Fox was implying it was shit because of the result but I'm saying the result doesn't mean the match wasn't entertaining. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

At the risk of falling out @the fox,

Never gonna happen because of a sports's debate, mate. Lol

the last MMA fight was utter garbage 

It is fighting, not boxing. And wrestling is a part of it. 

only talked about because of the melee in the ring post bout.

It was talked about because it was the p4p best boxer and the most famous fighter atm (Conor) vs the p4p best wrestler with a 26-0 record and a much worse boxing skillset. The brawl helped a bit tbf. 

It was one sided wrestling on the floor, that was it.

It was not. The 3d round was standing after that amazing second round Ground-and-pound. The same round that had Khabib checking Conor's chin with a 4-ounce glove. 

You ask, "how does a simple Overhand manages to land on the far superior boxer?" 

It's because of the threat of the takedown. When you are afraid to be taken down, you lose a step and your mental strength goes fast. It may look like a simple Overhand, but if you look deeper, you can see Khabib dip his shoulders for a fraction of a second, fainting the takedown which led to Conor reacting by lowering his hands and hip to avoid it.

The saying "an overhand is a wrestler's best friend" isnt just a joke. 

Here is another example of the inferior boxer getting the best of the better boxing. 

TameImpossibleGrayling-max-1mb.gif

It was not just laying down, it was a fighting masterclass. 

People laugh at MMA because they think it's cockfighting, unrefined and un skilled. They even refuse to call it a sport but the amount of skill and technique is just amazing.

I apologize for talking about MMA too much in a boxing thread but I just can't help it lol

1 minute ago, the fox said:

Never gonna happen because of a sports's debate, mate. Lol

It is fighting, not boxing. And wrestling is a part of it. 

It was talked about because it was the p4p best boxer and the most famous fighter atm (Conor) vs the p4p best wrestler with a 26-0 record and a much worse boxing skillset. The brawl helped a bit tbf. 

It was not. The 3d round was standing after that amazing second round Ground-and-pound. The same round that had Khabib checking Conor's chin with a 4-ounce glove. 

You ask, "how does a simple Overhand manages to land on the far superior boxer?" 

It's because of the threat of the takedown. When you are afraid to be taken down, you lose a step and your mental strength goes fast. It may look like a simple Overhand, but if you look deeper, you can see Khabib dip his shoulders for a fraction of a second, fainting the takedown which led to Conor reacting by lowering his hands and hip to avoid it.

The saying "an overhand is a wrestler's best friend" isnt just a joke. 

Here is another example of the inferior boxer getting the best of the better boxing. 

TameImpossibleGrayling-max-1mb.gif

It was not just laying down, it was a fighting masterclass. 

People laugh at MMA because they think it's cockfighting, unrefined and un skilled. They even refuse to call it a sport but the amount of skill and technique is just amazing.

I apologize for talking about MMA too much in a boxing thread but I just can't help it lol

That's the longest explanation of a sport I have no interest in that I've ever read. ;)

• Haha 1

Scoring is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to boxing. Two watchers rarely score the fight the same. Giving Wilder the first four seems quite off to me too though. I did think Wilder won the first though and most seem to disagree with that.

I'm more concerned with the monotonous regularity draws seem to surface these days. Draws have always happened. It may be my misconception, but I don't remember them happening so often. Maybe the percentages of draws are no more than they used to be but it seems like it. 

Stevie wonder could have given Fury at least two of those 4 ! 

1 hour ago, FilbertFrog said:

Pity AJ doesn’t think the same lol

Behave. You know full well Joshua is happy to get in the ring with either and will probably fight both over the next two years if Fury can stay healthy and motivated. 

You also know Hearn will drag it out as long as is humanly possible to big up the hype. 

Because in all honesty, once he's fought both, what's next? It's not exactly like the division is rammed full of talent. There's a couple of obvious big fights and they're gonna pace them out and squeeze them in between mandatory challenges to ramp up as much PPV profile as possible. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Max Wall said:

The first is a wilder round I think, fury finished the round  well but I posted halfway through it stating I didn’t like the look of the fight already so clearly wilder was doing something right in my eyes.

plus every single judge scored it 10/9 wilder as well