Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Behave. You know full well Joshua is happy to get in the ring with either and will probably fight both over the next two years if Fury can stay healthy and motivated. 

You also know Hearn will drag it out as long as is humanly possible to big up the hype. 

Because in all honesty, once he's fought both, what's next? It's not exactly like the division is rammed full of talent. There's a couple of obvious big fights and they're gonna pace them out and squeeze them in between mandatory challenges to ramp up as much PPV profile as possible. 

Ok I respect that view

but For me He doesn’t want the fight if he did he would have taken the $50m, people laughing at him now , I’m sure now he didn’t want the fight , fighting bums on PPV cards that’s all he is interested in , he is the natural successor to Bruno and Harrison ???????

suits the narrative to make hearn the baddy , truth is if a fighter tells Hearn “im

taking that fight” then the fight happens , AJ didn’t want it 

The division is full of talent now , most of it emerging hungry guys but check out Kelle’s suggestion for a world comp for heavy weights it would be fantastic group

AJ wilder will happen , I hope in Vegas but AJ has an obsession with Wembley pay days and he is always demanding  60/70%  of the purse which means he can duck out any time he doesn’t fancy it and blame business. 

I really don’t get him and I really can’t stand him as a boxer , but he does seem a decent human , surrounded by cretins 

It really was a quality fight. Fury is back, and In a big way. That’s a big old shake up to the top of that Heavyweight division and it should make for an entertaining 2019. 

I still think AJ beats Fury, he’s a lot more dynamic than Wilder but it would be a good match up again. I’d like AJ to beat Wilder first though and then put all the belts on the line V Fury, but I’m not sure it’ll work out that way. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FilbertFrog said:

Ok I respect that view

but For me He doesn’t want the fight if he did he would have taken the $50m, people laughing at him now , I’m sure now he didn’t want the fight , fighting bums on PPV cards that’s all he is interested in , he is the natural successor to Bruno and Harrison ???????

suits the narrative to make hearn the baddy , truth is if a fighter tells Hearn “im

taking that fight” then the fight happens , AJ didn’t want it 

The division is full of talent now , most of it emerging hungry guys but check out Kelle’s suggestion for a world comp for heavy weights it would be fantastic group

AJ wilder will happen , I hope in Vegas but AJ has an obsession with Wembley pay days and he is always demanding  60/70%  of the purse which means he can duck out any time he doesn’t fancy it and blame business. 

I really don’t get him and I really can’t stand him as a boxer , but he does seem a decent human , surrounded by cretins 

One thing I do think about AJ is he might act like a boy scout but he's a shark where the purse is concerned, I don't buy the smiling, all just for the sport stuff. He wants to make bank.

He knows he's the top of the pile at the moment and he's going to squeeze every penny he can get out of Wilder, I do think he wants the fight but I think he wants it to be as profitable as possible. Almost all of the narrative has basically been "we'll fight when he's serious" from AJ's camp and I very much take that to mean "we'll fight when you accept you're only getting 30%"

I don't hear anyone other than you and yours "laughing", tbh. Like Horse said, AJ will be loving this right now and I'm pretty sure everyone's aware of that, those two keep each other busy while he goes about the mandatories, cashing in Wembley PPVs and stoking the fire. 

It'll be Wilder that's the laughing stock when he loses his belts in a rematch, Usyk and Fury get above him in the pecking order and he's left wishing he'd just shut up and taken his 30% sooner. 

Edited by Finnegan

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Behave. You know full well Joshua is happy to get in the ring with either and will probably fight both over the next two years if Fury can stay healthy and motivated. 

You also know Hearn will drag it out as long as is humanly possible to big up the hype. 

Because in all honesty, once he's fought both, what's next? It's not exactly like the division is rammed full of talent. There's a couple of obvious big fights and they're gonna pace them out and squeeze them in between mandatory challenges to ramp up as much PPV profile as possible. 

Usyk will be in by then and maybe Dubois.

8 hours ago, the fox said:

People laugh at MMA because they think it's cockfighting, unrefined and un skilled. They even refuse to call it a sport but the amount of skill and technique is just amazing.

I apologize for talking about MMA too much in a boxing thread but I just can't help it lol

people laugh at it because it's a complete binman sport, nobody wants to see a man get humped on the mat for half an hour, you wouldn't see CM Punk on the main card of a boxing event because it has prestige and class.

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Totally agree. I really don't think the boxers are ever the problem are they? It's usually a manager protecting their interests. Whether that's because they fear for their boxer or because they want to delay and ratchet the purse and hype up, as you state. The very nature of heavyweight boxers at elite level means they have to have immense self belief to have already reached that stage. I definitely don't think that Joshua is personally avoiding anyone. 

With regards to your final point. I'm a good bit older than you and I've lost count of the amount of times I've thought the heavyweight division (and other weight classes for that matter) are dead as someone seems to be reigning supreme. Someone always comes along. Be that Ali (already known obviously) to beat the monster that was Foreman when  no one gave him a chance, Buster Douglas, to beat the monster that was Tyson at odds of 50/1 against, Hasim Rahmann (a journeyman really) knocking Lennox Lewis spark out and countless other bouts. 

In other divisions, there was Lloyd Honeyghan, our own Bermondsey boy (though he was born in Jamaica), who went to America and stopped the unbeaten Donald Curry who people thought was unstoppable at the time. I remember being absolutely shocked at that result. Further back there was London's Randolph Turpin beating Suger Ray Robinson, considered by many to be the best boxer of all time (he subsequently gave Robinson another battle in the return in New York before getting stopped in the 10th)

Whoever comes out on top between Fury, Joshua and Wilder, there will likely be someone waiting just round the corner.

7 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Totally agree. I really don't think the boxers are ever the problem are they? It's usually a manager protecting their interests. Whether that's because they fear for their boxer or because they want to delay and ratchet the purse and hype up, as you state. The very nature of heavyweight boxers at elite level means they have to have immense self belief to have already reached that stage. I definitely don't think that Joshua is personally avoiding anyone. 

With regards to your final point. I'm a good bit older than you and I've lost count of the amount of times I've thought the heavyweight division (and other weight classes for that matter) are dead as someone seems to be reigning supreme. Someone always comes along. Be that Ali (already known obviously) to beat the monster that was Foreman when  no one gave him a chance, Buster Douglas, to beat the monster that was Tyson at odds of 50/1 against, Hasim Rahmann (a journeyman really) knocking Lennox Lewis spark out and countless other bouts. 

In other divisions, there was Lloyd Honeyghan, our own Bermondsey boy (though he was born in Jamaica), who went to America and stopped the unbeaten Donald Curry who people thought was unstoppable at the time. I remember being absolutely shocked at that result. Further back there was London's Randolph Turpin beating Suger Ray Robinson, considered by many to be the best boxer of all time (he subsequently gave Robinson another battle in the return in New York before getting stopped in the 10th)

Whoever comes out on top between Fury, Joshua and Wilder, there will likely be someone waiting just round the corner.

Could well be Usyk..

:thumbup:

15 hours ago, Finnegan said:

He's got these two and will they'll likely have rematches.

Then there's Usyk if he can make the step up like many expect.

That's gonna take him into 2020/2021. Long time for a lot to change in the sport.

9 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

people laugh at it because it's a complete binman sport, nobody wants to see a man get humped on the mat for half an hour, you wouldn't see CM Punk on the main card of a boxing event because it has prestige and class.

Mayweather vs McGregor was the night boxing sold its class.

Dust settling now on a cracking fight which was well worth my 20 sovs ...   lots of respect for Fury who was clearly the winner.  Garlic frog, (he's now had more reincarnations than Haysus from Nazareth !  :)),  was spot on in saying that the weight loss wouldn't affect him and he was indeed in very good condition.  Talk now of a rematch but I'd much rather see Wilder fight AJ, unify the belts, and the winner then fight Fury ...   but I'm not going to hold my breath.   Few good HW's around at the moment and for me Whyte could play a part in this ..  terrific fighter and slightly underrated.       

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

He's got these two and will they'll likely have rematches.

Then there's Usyk if he can make the step up like many expect.

That's gonna take him into 2020/2021. Long time for a lot to change in the sport.

Aye I'm not saying the division is dead and he has no future. 

I'm saying, if he DOESN'T fight Wilder and Fury, there's an extremely finite number of high profile, massive pay day fights coming up in the next two years. 

IE, he's definitely going to fight one or both reasonably soon. 

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Aye I'm not saying the division is dead and he has no future. 

I'm saying, if he DOESN'T fight Wilder and Fury, there's an extremely finite number of high profile, massive pay day fights coming up in the next two years. 

IE, he's definitely going to fight one or both reasonably soon. 

We will have to see if Fury and Wilder agree a rematch, if they do he could be stuck for a bit for a bit. The fight in the spring could be the last time he has much of an option on who he fights for awhile unless Hearn can get the governing bodies to play ball and they often put their foot down. The IBF are going to throw a mandatory fight with Kubrat Pulev at him before long, and that will quickly followed by the WBA and the WBO (assuming Whyte isn't the opponent in the spring) 

8 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

We will have to see if Fury and Wilder agree a rematch, if they do he could be stuck for a bit for a bit. The fight in the spring could be the last time he has much of an option on who he fights for awhile unless Hearn can get the governing bodies to play ball and they often put their foot down. The IBF are going to throw a mandatory fight with Kubrat Pulev at him before long, and that will quickly followed by the WBA and the WBO (assuming Whyte isn't the opponent in the spring) 

I do wonder if they’ll be a re-match. Fury kinda has what he needed from the fight and Wilder now won’t want to go back in with Fury as it’s too higher risk now. I think he’ll go for AJ next year rather than risk his belts for a smaller pay day against Fury again. 

Was there anything in the contract about a mandatory rematch in the event the event of a draw?

12 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

You can't say it's a binman sport when the best fighters in the world are in the UFC. Boxing had to use a UFC fighter to get their 2nd best PPV sell ever. 

nobody wants to see a man get humped on the mat for half an hour,

This is such a lazy argument to discredit MMA.  Just go watch ferguson vs pettis and get back to me. 

First of all, most MMA fights are on the feet. 2, wrestling is part of fighting and 3, it's not the MMA problem that you can't appreciate the skillset of wrestlers. Seeing how a kimura, RNC or a kneck-cranck is excuted  is a thing of beauty. 

you wouldn't see CM Punk on the main card of a boxing event because it has prestige and class.

Oh, like Boxing did by bringing a man from a sport they mock to headline the main event of their second highest PPV sell ever? Cool. 

"prestige"? "Class"? Oh behave! Manny was injured and it was not public news until after the fight. And it ended up being a hug match, GGG was robbed by refs not once, but twice! Fury won but it was a draw to milk more money out of it. Best fighters fighting cans to pad their record, 17 weight Classes ... Etc. 

I like boxing, it's an art but it's corrupt. Oldheads sneering at the mention of MMA but they need to wake-up and smell the coffee! Your sport is getting swallowed by MMA. You feed boxers cans to pad their record, your sport is just one aspect fighting, while MMA is a fight. People tune to watch MMA because they are looking to see the baddest man on the planet. Pick any boxer at any weight and I will show you a UFC fighter who will beat him up. 

Please don't talk about honer and class when your own sport is rotten to the core! Glass houses and all that. 

Edited by the fox
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, the fox said:

You can't say it's a binman sport when the best fighters in the world are in the UFC. Boxing had to use a UFC fighter to get their 2nd best PPV sell ever. 

This is such a lazy argument to discredit MMA.  Just go watch ferguson vs pettis and get back to me. 

First of all, most MMA fights are on the feet. 2, wrestling is part of fighting and 3, it's not the MMA problem that you can't appreciate the skillset of wrestlers. Seeing how a kimura, RNC or a kneck-cranck is excuted  is a thing of beauty. 

Oh, like Boxing did by bringing a man from a sport they mock to headline the main event of their second highest PPV sell ever? Cool. 

"prestige"? "Class"? Oh behave! Manny was injured and it was not public news until after the fight. And it ended up being a hug match, GGG was robbed by refs not once, but twice! Fury won but it was a draw to milk more money out of it. Best fighters fighting cans to pad their record, 17 weight Classes ... Etc. 

I like boxing, it's an art but it's corrupt. Oldheads sneering at the mention of MMA but they need to wake-up and smell the coffee! Your sport is getting swallowed by MMA. You feed boxers cans to pad their record, your sport is just one aspect fighting, while MMA is a fight. People tune to watch MMA because they are looking to see the baddest man on the planet. Pick any boxer at any weight and I will show you a UFC fighter who will beat him up. 

Please don't talk about honer and class when your own sport is rotten to the core! Glass houses and all that. 

I think that's less the sport using the fighter and more the fighter using the sport to generate a payday he would never get for a UFC match if we are being honest.

And that's a ridiculous statement to make if you actually look at the figures.  To be clear I agree it is growing, but that particular statement is ridiculous, especially if you are talking about the UK market.

• Like 2

On 02/12/2018 at 16:20, the fox said:

And btw, I'm not saying the match wasn't entertaining, because it was. Like the GGG-Canelo fights, they just keep getting tainted by the result. 

I agree Fox.

There's fights I've watched over the years and it's been very difficult to separate the boxers, that's fair enough, it happens, draws are possible. The scoring where it's obviously against what's been seen is the big problem. Whether it's corruption or just plain poor judgement is almost immaterial to the viewer, it leaves a bad taste and does nothing for the sport. It seems to happen more regularly now in the massive money bouts too.

As for MMA, I appreciate there must be skill in it if you know what you're watching. I don't really know what I'm watching though. It really just doesn't appeal to me and never has so I can't really differentiate between good moves and bad. If you love it, good for you mate :thumbup:

Boxing is better though :D

• Haha 1